Scott Smith

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Here's a cute shot, courtesy of Jack Madden, of Scott Smith and Billy Stroud at the 1978 Stoners Tournament. :smile:

And here I thought Scott was a natural blond.

One of my favorite pics of Scott and Rachel:lovies:

Many years later Scott is still dapper....and like I said Rachel>> :lovies:

Attachments

• Rachel-abink-scott-smith-1024x682.jpg
    Rachel-abink-scott-smith-1024x682.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 711
Reactions: JAM

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1982 Scott, myself, Billy, Jr. Harris and Scotts brother and a couple subs had a BCA 8 ball team, Wizards, won the team nationals. Stroud played good, had the high winning season average, over 900 which had never been beaten. Best players shot in the 860-870's, never over 900.
Oh, Scott also had a business card ''Have cue will Travel'' and I think he did finish 4th in the Stardust late sixties.
Wasn't Charlie Shutman a part of that team too? He and Scott wee fun to be around!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite pics of Scott and Rachel:lovies:

Many years later Scott is still dapper....and like I said Rachel>> :lovies:

What a cool pool photo! There's Scott with his signature cigar in his pocket and Rachel holding the cheese. :grin-square:

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
I didn't know that. Thanks! :)

Yeah, right at about 5 years ago someone brought it up at Antique Billiard Museum here in the Springs and Scott had a good chuckle about changes in fashion...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Scott is a very cool guy. Rachel made a lot of big scores on the road not too many years ago. She was fearless. Not too many of the top WPBA would play her for the money head to head. Johnnyt

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great voice and good guy when i saw him. Cannot remember him officiating where i disagreed with his ruling. And scott did like the action. Good luck to scott wherever he is these days

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved Scott Smith. He always treated me great. When my band Great White used to play near Colorado Springs I used to go to his room Rack & Roll and play pool. He would always kick me down with a few accu-stats tapes to watch on my tour bus while we were touring. He was a great guy and liked by many!! I miss him announcing the tournaments, though Kenny Shulman is a great guy also...

I always loved Scott's announcing at the US Open & we miss him! That's so cool you were in Great White, y'all were one of my favorite bands well still are. :)

9-ball

Registered
I do not know Scott Smith and have never met him, so whatever bad qualities he has are unknown to me. I've watched many videos that have featured him as referee, and I thought he was awesome. Better than anyone else I've seen, except perhaps that English guy who used to do the epic intros for the Filipino players at the World 9-Ball in the early 00's. He was pretty great, too.

What I liked about Scott is that he seemed genuinely into the matches, and would frequently mouth "Wow, great shot" and clap for the players, as if he was just enjoying the view from the best seat in the house. Cool move.
Scott was about pool, always... and had tolerance for naysayers. a very good announer, and a good person. anyone talks bad about Scott should check their own past.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
1982 Scott, myself, Billy, Jr. Harris and Scotts brother and a couple subs had a BCA 8 ball team, Wizards, won the team nationals. Stroud played good, had the high winning season average, over 900 which had never been beaten. Best players shot in the 860-870's, never over 900.
Oh, Scott also had a business card ''Have cue will Travel'' and I think he did finish 4th in the Stardust late sixties.

I remember those days. I was one of the owners of the Galaxy Lounge in Co Springs and captain of their men's pool team that both those teams used to beat on year after year throughout the early 80's. And I mean BEAT-ON! We always came in 3rd or 4th in that league.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as entertainment, personality and fun as a TD and announcer, SS was head and shoulders above ANY TD working the major circuit today. Not even close. He use to carry around a 'train whistle' just to blow when he announced Mike Coltrain at tournies. Very fun guy all around.

He worked 18+ hour days at the US Open and other events and if given a free 3 minutes literally, he could nap like a champion. I miss him but fully understand others objections to some of his gambling activities. I never saw it influence his actions as a TD and yes i know the whole "appearance of impropriety" thing.

PS- This thread is 4+ years old.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Pool purists just better accept the fact that we action people ain't going anywhere. We live, we breathe, we are!

LONG LIVE ACTION! It is why some people enjoy pool. We don't like watching emotionless robots playing mum pool while shooting balls in the hole. In fact, some believe this is the reason pool is circling the drain. Today, pool players with no personality are not helping pool one bit. Who wants to watch them for hours and hours on the TV or livestream. YUCK!

Scott "The Shot" Smith signing an autograph for a fan.

Yep! I enjoyed placing a few bets with Scott myself.
Jason

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott smith and the word character should never be in the same sentence. That Scott is no longer involved in pool is a good thing for pool. There is no place for a tournament director that takes bets on matches from players for matches that he's officiating.

Do you have any kind of proof that he ever made a call, the majority would have thought he was making, so his bet would win?
I agree that it was not the best choice, for the simple reason that anyone who lost could always bring the fact up, that he bet.
That said, I never felt he was the kind of guy, to do something like that.
Although I believe that 90% of the people who go in a pool room regularly, would.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you have any kind of proof that he ever made a call, the majority would have thought he was making, so his bet would win?
I agree that it was not the best choice, for the simple reason that anyone who lost could always bring the fact up, that he bet.
That said, I never felt he was the kind of guy, to do something like that.
Although I believe that 90% of the people who go in a pool room regularly, would.

Don't get me wrong, I like Scott and worked with him on many tournaments. I've known him since he was a teenager (and I wasn't much older). I always felt it was a big mistake to make book on the matches where we were involved in making decisions should they come up. How he did that for so long and never had any repercussions is amazing to me. I guess people just liked him too much to complain. As for me I NEVER bet on a match while I was directing a tournament and if there was a player that I helped get into the tournament I made sure to have someone else make any calls necessary in their matches. Just the appearance of possible favoritism was enough to deter me from doing anything that might not look kosher. I respected my job and the position I held in running the event.

Last edited:

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Am i the only one that use to gamble with Scott at his pool room, The Bank shot in Colorado Springs?

Only one time did I bet with Scott. We had a $20 bet. My BCA team against his brother Breit's BCA team. We won and I took the $20 and bought my wife a poodle and I named him Bank Shot to dig at Scott a little. The poodle lived for about 14 years and all that time I could keep digging at Scott about that bet. It was fun at the time. Scott was a good man and enjoyed the action.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Don't get me wrong, I like Scott and worked with him on many tournaments. I've known him since he was a teenager (and I wasn't much older). I always felt it was a big mistake to make book on the matches where we were involved in making decisions should they come up. How he did that for so long and never had any repercussions is amazing to me. I guess people just liked him too much to complain. As for me I NEVER bet on a match while I was directing a tournament and if there was a player that I helped get into the tournament I made sure to have someone else make any calls necessary in their matches. Just the appearance of possible favoritism was enough to deter me from doing anything that might not look kosher. I respected my job and the position I held in running the event.

Yeah fox in the hen house, but Scott was never that, not in his DNA when it came to making calls.

He worked all the edges in life, and better than most.

When I think of em, he reminds me of the great boxing announcer saying.....''lets get ready to rumble''.

The feelings great announcers create, addressing the audience, was not greater than Scott in his prime. To me Scott, like Janette Lee, had the ability to take this sport to where it could go. He was great at business, working with others, good with numbers and he could really play at one time, so his understanding of the entire picture was clear. Scott had his way with the public, and they loved em. Plus, he was the best TD in his prime bar none.