Mr 600

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
know the masses

no one is above a little sharking now and then. The magician is known to be all up in your shot line as well. Acceptable sharking

I used to know a guy who would use the nomenclatures 'no one', everyone, and or everybody when he was trying to sell his idea - when one person was reluctant to agree with him. He was a telemarketer phone sales person and not a happy dude. I think this tactic/hustle worked well for him when he was trying to pressure weak minded individuals into buying a vacation over the telephone. I may not be super smart, but grouping everyone into yer mandatory sharking club - won't due. People are not all the same, also there is a difference between being upset at an error - vs blatant sharking, I may not be the one to fill Mosconi's shoes - but John schmtt certainly ain't either. I guess I should say not 'everyone' will fall for that kind of narrow minded thinking. Please take me off yer sales pitch list. I shark ' no one' and players that do degrade themselves into such petty antics - only do so out of desperation - when they see the doors of victory closing for them.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, nice catch there! This must have been during one of the dinner shows put on by the Birbeck twins. There was no money involved in those shows, but people did pay to see them play. A pretty embarrassing moment for Mosconi I would think. If there was anything on the line I'm damn sure Caras would have called him on it. The video ends at that point and I'm left to wonder what happened. Maybe he did get called on it after all. Who knows.

I feel the commentary makes it clear that this match was a "friendly" and that the infraction would not be penalized. Like this one, many of the other exhibitions in which Willie played against a top local player were "friendly" matches. There was never any money riding on these matches.

Yeah, at the end, Willie was struggling. My friend Jimmy Fusco, who did so much for Willie in those last years, spoke of it to me at the time. Willie and Jimmy were both from South Philadelphia and were long-time and very close friends.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has a long way to go to be what Willie is to pool.

And he does have some impressive achievements.

I used to know a guy who would use the nomenclatures 'no one', everyone, and or everybody when he was trying to sell his idea - when one person was reluctant to agree with him. He was a telemarketer phone sales person and not a happy dude. I think this tactic/hustle worked well for him when he was trying to pressure weak minded individuals into buying a vacation over the telephone. I may not be super smart, but grouping everyone into yer mandatory sharking club - won't due. People are not all the same, also there is a difference between being upset at an error - vs blatant sharking, I may not be the one to fill Mosconi's shoes - but John schmtt certainly ain't either. I guess I should say not 'everyone' will fall for that kind of narrow minded thinking. Please take me off yer sales pitch list. I shark ' no one' and players that do degrade themselves into such petty antics - only do so out of desperation - when they see the doors of victory closing for them.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The whole thing stinks. If John wanted to recreate Willy's run he shouldn't be able to pick and choose how. Go AROUND and do exhibitions, you can't just stay on one hand picked table. If a legendary traveling bowler got 40 something strikes in a row, another guy can't just stay in one house on one lane and think the accomplishment is the same. Like the Bonds HR "record" this needs an ASSterisk. Better shrink the gutters while we're at it, oh hell, lets get those bumpers in place.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Mayhap not fill his shews but he does seem to be the one to break his exhibition high run record. Just congratulate the guy. Don’t be left out, everyone’s dewing it!

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
howdy

Somebody, in a very loud voice, definitely sharked Danny just as he was about to pull the trigger on his break shot. He got up and then a loud conversation ensued (with much laughter) about some upcoming event. John's voice can be heard predominately in this conversation. To his credit Danny finally gets back down and makes a good break shot. He then misses the next shot on a thin cut along the bottom rail.

Say what you want about Danny on here but he was certainly disrespected there by John and his buddies. I didn't see or hear Danny do anything wrong.

One final observation. This thread and the 1,000+ replies on here are great PR for John and his record run (I believe he did it). This is all free advertising for him and whatever he decides to do with his DVD of the run.

I think I know where your loyalties lie, or shall i say yer royaltiies'. That is nothing compared to the bs he pulled at both tar match up's I had with him in louisville and North Kansas City. But again Jay (the bank pool playah') I know where your loyalties lie. Maybe he did it, but I know his nature and if there is any funny business (sounds to me like there is) the Mosconi geek squad will call him out on it. Then the bca and nytimes should be cancelled as reliable news sources, I have a feeling that their reason for delay in producing the video is due to their own negligence.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Thanks to Lou and Jay here on the history lesson. Although I've sweated pro pool since about 1966, I sometimes forget that some forum members have been around quite a bit longer than me. In context, based on what you've shared, it's obvious Willie held himself to the standard of all ball fouls even during exhibitions.

I'm not sure this means that John was required to do the same, though. I'd be interested to learn what criteria the BCA applied in the process of reviewing and validating John's run.

If we're allowing JS to create his own rules with respect to breaking "WM's record" straight pool run, common sense would dictate that because he's not required to follow the same "rules" as Willie, he cannot break his record. Although, to me and under those circumstances, it sounds like JS's run may be considered an entirely different record...still, only seeing the video will answer the question. And, at this point, that's all anybody is asking for.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
more lies

Mayhap not fill his shews but he does seem to be the one to break his exhibition high run record. Just congratulate the guy. Don’t be left out, everyone’s dewing it!

Your lies and conjecture are becoming more evident there jazzjeff87, do you work with cnn - or nytimes? Maybe yer a telemarketing person - sorry no sell of approval from me. Do you think if he moved (foul) an object ball with his hand - the run should be considered legit? I'm goin to guess yer good with that eh? You may feel more sheepish when they produce their phony video - if they ever do.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I know where your loyalties lie, or shall i say yer royaltiies'. That is nothing compared to the bs he pulled at both tar match up's I had with him in louisville and North Kansas City. But again Jay (the bank pool playah') I know where your loyalties lie. Maybe he did it, but I know his nature and if there is any funny business (sounds to me like there is) the Mosconi geek squad will call him out on it. Then the bca and nytimes should be cancelled as reliable news sources, I have a feeling that their reason for delay in producing the video is due to their own negligence.

I try to support you Danny and this is what I get. Nice.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Nope

The whole thing stinks. If John wanted to recreate Willy's run he shouldn't be able to pick and choose how. Go AROUND and do exhibitions, you can't just stay on one hand picked table. If a legendary traveling bowler got 40 something strikes in a row, another guy can't just stay in one house on one lane and think the accomplishment is the same. Like the Bonds HR "record" this needs an ASSterisk. Better shrink the gutters while we're at it, oh hell, lets get those bumpers in place.

I appreciate yer candor and agree it is two different formats, however the game is the same and any legit (fouling an object ball = non legit) run that is in the ball park of Mosconi's 526 should not be totally discredited. Not trying to argue with you, but video proof definitely serves as visual proof.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I don't rememberr MAD magazine

I try to support you Danny and this is what I get. Nice.

I do not remember MAD magazine too well, this is the best I have to offer you Jay until their phony video surfaces big mony bank pool playah - toopay Jay. If the bca asks you to jump - do you ask how high? If I were you I would not show any footage of his antics during our tar match ups, that would not even be politically correct.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to Lou and Jay here on the history lesson. Although I've sweated pro pool since about 1966, I sometimes forget that some forum members have been around quite a bit longer than me. In context, based on what you've shared, it's obvious Willie held himself to the standard of all ball fouls even during exhibitions.

I'm not sure this means that John was required to do the same, though. I'd be interested to learn what criteria the BCA applied in the process of reviewing and validating John's run.

Stu, just to clarify, to me it's not just a number -- OK, the BCA says it's official: 626 -- but I want to know the nature of the run.

I want to be able to speak knowledgeably about it and how it compares to Mosconi's and other runs by legends in the pantheon of 14.1 greats. To me, this is part of being a serious student and fan of the game. I want be able to say, "It was great, a beautiful run." Or...

Without unedited video the full nature of the run will always be in question. Were 626 balls put into the pockets? Sure. But without unedited video the full story of how they were put into those pockets will remain in question and it will always be difficult to fully assess the quality of accomplishment. From this thread it is obvious that there are those to whom a number is just a number. I'm not one of those guys and thankfully there are a number of other fans who feel the same.

Lou Figueroa

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quit whinning
your sour grape vindictive lousy attitude is making you look
like a small person and a loser

the fact that you do play a fairly good game of pool is not going to overcome
your miserable character much longer

nothing personal,but you make me sick

and i am not a fan of schmidt as such,he did the most remarkable thing
in pool and might have or might get some good will to pool
attract some players,but when Danny acts like such a jerk pool loses what good might have been done

jealousy and envy is all we hear

oh Lou, i am sorry i overlooked you your critical comments are also kinda off putting

but i felt sorry for you when you were afraid to play john barton even with 8 to 5 the best of it.

a chance of a lifetime slipped away,but why criticize the video,mosconi did not have a video

nothing personal ,i just hated the way you treated john

again nothing personal,there may be a few that can stomach you

i would think you might like to win a tournament or do something noteworthy yourself
instead of knocking,and slandering your fellow man

again nothing personal,i am trying to remember if you won a tounament some time ago

i really only heard of you from your jealous comments

what have you done lately anyway, i don't follow pro
pool much are you still playing if so go run 650 balls and earn some respect

we all know about 100 times more about john and his run than we do about you
or miosconis high run. i mean verification wise

did willie make a foul somewhere that people is a less nerdy critical era
overlooked

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate yer candor and agree it is two different formats, however the game is the same and any legit (fouling an object ball = non legit) run that is in the ball park of Mosconi's 526 should not be totally discredited. Not trying to argue with you, but video proof definitely serves as visual proof.

Agreed sir!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. This clip is of the old, and within two years of death, Mosconi. It does show that the rules are sometimes bent during an exhibition, but I'm still not sure what to make of it.

I saw Mosconi play when he was about 66, which was still over twenty years after he suffered the stroke that shortened his career and, more than likely, his life. Once again, though, I'll defer to those who were around Willie a lot as far as interpreting this.

… but the myth that the top pros always held themselves to the same rules during exhibitions as the ones they adhered to in major tournaments is busted.

I've heard only one person claim to see Willie foul during an exhibition. The gentleman has since passed but, he did say on one "of the many" times that he witnessed Willie play, that Willie did continue to run balls after committing a foul.

The gentleman told me (and others) exactly what the foul was but, I don't remember anything other than it was an OB foul. I assume is was the same as in the clip above.

I don't believe Willie would ever did that and kept shooting during a tournament or private gambling match. Exhibition??? I was told years ago that Willie would keep shooting if he fouled. Now, I have seen it so, I know that he would've.

I guess the older gent knee what he was talking about.

Jeff

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the point is simply stated

why demand more from John than we do of Willie?

I don't know if anybody fouled,honestly I don't care

but who are these nobody guys who make demands

their goal is to take away from the winners

truth be told nothing will satisfy them,they will always want more

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
nsa dean

quit whinning

attract some players,but when Danny acts like such a jerk pool loses what good might have been done

oh Lou, i am sorry i overlooked you your critical comments are also kinda off putting

but i felt sorry for you when you were afraid to play john barton even with 8 to 5 the best of it.

a chance of a lifetime slipped away,but why criticize the video,mosconi did not have a video

i would think you might like to win a tournament or do something noteworthy yourself

again nothing personal,i am trying to remember if you won a tounament some time ago

overlooked

are yer shadow deep state buddies still spying on people in libraries? I knew there was a reason I blocked u. They say yer just a harmless so I try to give u a pass. your actually appalling and I'm not sure u even realize who yer bitter comments are directed to anymore. Also I noticed u hate alot towards people who are only asking to see proof - good luck with that - you'll need it. The reason u don't keep up on pool is cause u never made a player yourself - maybe too busy being a coward spy of mucho insignificance. If u feel some twitching in yer chest - it's just an irregular, crusty, bitter form of heart beet. Sorry no time 4 the likes of u sir, there is Billiards to play and pool lessons to give.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quit whinning

overlooked

ah, a JB fan.

And the way I treated him?! That’s FN and worth a good laugh.

Some how, some way I think I’m going to be able to get over your comments, lol.

Lou Figueroa
8-5?!

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the point is simply stated

why demand more from John than we do of Willie?

I don't know if anybody fouled,honestly I don't care

but who are these nobody guys who make demands

their goal is to take away from the winners

truth be told nothing will satisfy them,they will always want more

No one is demanding more.

And I can’t help it if some folks are a bit more discerning than others and not willing to swallow the same old same old pool baloney some seem so eager to put down their gullets whole.

Lou Figueroa