Benefits of playing opponents with less skill

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
No one that you are better than thinks that you are better than they are. They never have and never will. Even after you beat them 100 times in a row convincingly they are never convinced. Especially beginners and enthusiasts who don't play. If you tell anyone that you play and they say me too that means they think they are superior, especially if they have a table, a cue, "used to play," or has an uncle Hustlebuck.

I have the opposite happen to me.

Player walks up, says “do you want to play?”
I think...good opportunity to learn from a better player.
I say, sure, “let’s play but, I’m not very good”.
Player says “that’s OK.
Then he asks to play for money.
I say no thank you, but.....
Player keeps insisting to play for money.
I say..I’ll cover the table time, but no bets, except for betting that I lose.
Player usually tries again or walks off to find an easier mark.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get what you are saying.
Yes, there are places to play in LA LA Land.
It’s just that they are 30 to 45 miles away.

Real Pool Rooms
Hard Times in Bellflower (SoCal), about 70 miles round trip. The other is in NoCal, 775 Miles RT....a little too far.
Mr. Lucky’s In Torrence 66 Miles RT
House of Billiards, Santa Monica 45 miles RT
Butera’s Billiards, Moorpark 68 miles RT
Jerry’s Family Billiards, South Pasadena 44 miles RT
Plush Pocket, 30 Miles RT (the closest one)

I go to Fantasia in Burbank because it’s close and decent for practice. 8 miles RT

I cut my teeth at Hard Times, and had an ex from Torrance so I spent a lot of time at Mr. Luckys. I got out to Pasadena years back, but that was at Jake's not Jerry's. I'm planning on visiting Burbank sport's cards soon, so I might hit up Fantasia (Might make a quick stop at Tiger as well.)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I get what you are saying.
Yes, there are places to play in LA LA Land.
It’s just that they are 30 to 45 miles away.

Real Pool Rooms
Hard Times in Bellflower (SoCal), about 70 miles round trip. The other is in NoCal, 775 Miles RT....a little too far.
Mr. Lucky’s In Torrence 66 Miles RT
House of Billiards, Santa Monica 45 miles RT
Butera’s Billiards, Moorpark 68 miles RT
Jerry’s Family Billiards, South Pasadena 44 miles RT
Plush Pocket, 30 Miles RT (the closest one)

I go to Fantasia in Burbank because it’s close and decent for practice. 8 miles RT

Just me, but IMHO almost all of those rooms are not that far away round trip-wise...if you really love playing pool.

Heck, I drive almost 40 miles round trip twice a week just to play in a crappy league.

YMMV

Maniac

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When selecting opponents of less skill is it worth it to play them?

How can a strong player develop their game while playing against a weaker player?

A stronger player can work on their rhythm and confidence among other things against a weaker player. For example if a player gets whooped by a similarly skilled player why not play a weaker player to get back in gear especially if their confidence has faltered.

Look at boxing. Boxers aren't always getting smashed up by more skilled boxers. They always fight a few patsies here and there.

Ultimately you should be playing a mixture of weaker players, equally skilled, and better players to keep your game healthy.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To OP-get crushed by guys to get better.Pay attention while they beat you.Playing chumps proves and teaches nothing except false confidence.As you get better you just keep getting beat by better and better opponents.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I play someone who plays close to my speed, or better, I pay attention a bit more and step it up a notch if need be (to the best of my ability, that is).

If I play someone that I KNOW isn't a runout player, I lose focus and get a bored. I like playing people that I KNOW are going to put pedal to the metal when they come up to the table. That wakes me up and keeps me motivated.

As some have said, you can practice "flyers" when you play "bangers", but that ruins your table discipline and gives you bad habits.

Someone else said "you should play the table" and that is the correct answer, IMO.

You should shoot your BEST at all times and do the same thing to Joe Schmoe that you would do if you were playing Willie Mosconi. If you have a better chance of playing a safe than making a ball, play the safe...even if you know Joe isn't going to run out anyway. It keeps you in practice and disciplines your mind.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the advice is to only play players better than you (to get better) and never play players below your skill level, you will have to find players better than you who are not following the given advice. Confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the advice is to only play players better than you (to get better) and never play players below your skill level, you will have to find players better than you who are not following the given advice. Confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

In the old days, it was EASY to play a BETTER player than you.

Put some money on the table.

Reactions: bbb

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Helping them.

My little hick Alaskan town is not covered up in pool talent. I am one of the best along with a couple of others. I'm not great at all, maybe a B player, used to be a bit better.

A friend came over last night and he is a C player at best. He has his own business and is just to busy to devote the hours needed to get much better. He is fun to hang with and likes pool. I have worked with him for a couple of years and he got the sorry local bar leagues "Most Improved Player" award last year.

I help him with his shot selection and cue ball control, which is why he is improving.

I find when I play him I will take those low percentage shots more often and believe it helps me improve on those shots.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How can a strong player develop their game while playing against a weaker player?

I am only speculating, but it seems like your question is about games that are for 'fun'?!
If that is the case, I would separate into a few categories like....

ones you want to 'school'.... play them tight as possible, run out or lock up, and never let them see the light of day

social games (and they know you are much better than them) force yourself to play with a spot..... I like to sometimes play that I can't hit any rail outside the pocket facing, or I have to pick my next ball and pocket, or I have to explain my whole shot and where I am going with CB, or I have to do all of the above (really hard for me to explain and 'do' ..gets my conscious too active)

helping someone who wants help...run out racks, and explain what and why you do what you do/did... inspiring someone by showing how great the game can be may be the impetus to getting the hook set.... it did for me.

play scotch doubles with them.... it's tough for you, and learning for them

Anyway... just some thoughts... so many variables, it's tough to answer.

td

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sure it's worth it. You've got someone to rack for you! :wink:

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cut my teeth at Hard Times, and had an ex from Torrance so I spent a lot of time at Mr. Luckys. I got out to Pasadena years back, but that was at Jake's not Jerry's. I'm planning on visiting Burbank sport's cards soon, so I might hit up Fantasia (Might make a quick stop at Tiger as well.)

No offense to OP but fantasia isn't really a pool room, it's like a restaurant with a bunch of tables. I went in there one time: no action, 5" pockets, not for me. Jerry's in Pasadena is decent. Very tight gold crowns and some diamond bar boxes. Pretty regular 9-ball action and occasional one pocket. Santa Monica HOB is a great one pocket room. Pretty much find a game at any speed for a variety of $ amounts. Time is expensive though, if that's a concern.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will only add this to the conversation. Never let down, even if you are playing a weaker player. That is one quick way to get out of stroke. I can remember laying down a little, trying to get a bet out of someone and then when I had to play I couldn't. I had gotten myself out of stroke and was vulnerable. I never slow played anyone after that. It just never worked for me.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my area I am fortunate that I have a lot of strong players. There is also a well developed contingent of players weaker than I am that are looking to improve.

I have played most of the better players in the area to mixed results, I have put semi-pros out of tournaments, and had hill-hill nail-biters with pros. I have also lost to average players that I should beat 9/10 times way more than I would like to admit, even in tournament situations.

I will be honest, I truly enjoy playing anyone that will approach the table and ask for a game. Something can be learned by you, or taught to anyone that approaches your table.

I also find that I truly enjoy teaching. If I can show a newer or less experienced player one sure-fire way to make more balls, I can pretty much guarantee I will see that player in the future and they will smile when they see me, come shake my hand and possibly ask if I would like to play again.

Life is too short to think that because you are better at pool than someone else, that you are better than someone else.

Now do not get me wrong, I do not play down to anyone's level. I play my game, full boar and I either get smoked by Timmy or I hold my own or run away with it, but no matter what I give everyone a chance and have never really been disappointed by doing so.

I generally do not play for money, unless I know the person is way better than me and I like them. But most of the time the people who want to play just want to know, or prove that they can beat me, or is a friendship that exists or is developing.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense to OP but fantasia isn't really a pool room, it's like a restaurant with a bunch of tables. I went in there one time: no action, 5" pockets, not for me. Jerry's in Pasadena is decent. Very tight gold crowns and some diamond bar boxes. Pretty regular 9-ball action and occasional one pocket. Santa Monica HOB is a great one pocket room. Pretty much find a game at any speed for a variety of $ amounts. Time is expensive though, if that's a concern.

Fantasia sounds a little like Danny K's, its a nice room with a beautiful full bar, and pros hanging out from time to time, but the tables are furniture grade which keeps me away.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read most of the posts, and find myself confused .
The only conclusion I came to is that most of the posters don't gamble.
Why would you play weaker players for fun ? And play all out ?
One of the greatest hustlers I ever knew told me in the 70's,
Do you want to just play pool or do you want to make money ?
You make more money playing weaker players, usually spotting
the weaker player. As the better player, you do most things better
than your opponent . You get more innings than he does, you control
the game. he has problems playing his speed as he gets less
inning at the table. Of course, you have to know how to convince
( hustle ) him to think he can win when he can't. And if you 'play all out'
You will lose him quick ! We called it playing a ;pattern' on him. If hes
a 3 ball runner, you become a 4 ball runner. You stay on the pattern !
He will win games and think he can win. He can't.
Taking a big spot from a top player, you are usually in a trap.
They do everything better than you.
Good luck

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have read most of the posts, and find myself confused .
The only conclusion I came to is that most of the posters don't gamble.
Why would you play weaker players for fun ? And play all out ?
One of the greatest hustlers I ever knew told me in the 70's,
Do you want to just play pool or do you want to make money ?
You make more money playing weaker players, usually spotting
the weaker player. As the better player, you do most things better
than your opponent . You get more innings than he does, you control
the game. he has problems playing his speed as he gets less
inning at the table. Of course, you have to know how to convince
( hustle ) him to think he can win when he can't. And if you 'play all out'
You will lose him quick ! We called it playing a ;pattern' on him. If hes
a 3 ball runner, you become a 4 ball runner. You stay on the pattern !
He will win games and think he can win. He can't.
Taking a big spot from a top player, you are usually in a trap.
They do everything better than you.
Good luck

My "trick" was asking them what they wanted and give it to them. If they said I need 10-6 in One Pocket or the seven ball I just gave it to them, no argument. I knew they would fold at some point and they almost always did (maybe 95% of the time).
Weak players tended to over rate their game and would usually ask for less than what they really needed. I think that's human nature.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
My "trick" was asking them what they wanted and give it to them. If they said I need 10-6 in One Pocket or the seven ball I just gave it to them, no argument. I knew they would fold at some point and they almost always did (maybe 95% of the time).
Weak players tended to over rate their game and would usually ask for less than what they really needed. I think that's human nature.

Ask me what spot I need Jay.