Transition for 8 to 9 Ball help

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have traditionally been an 8 ball player....started back playing about 2 months ago....I am joining a 9 ball league and I was wondering if there is any mental advice in the transition from one game to the next...I understand the rules so I do not mean that....But i believe the two games to have different thought processes. Thanks in advance

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me 9 ball is such an easier game, the decisions are made for you.

1. Practice your break
2. Find the problem balls or any balls that will require a very precise positional shot to get on.
3. Think three balls ahead and make sure and stay on the proper side of the shot line.

I work on my patterns to get back to the center of the table, usually center table is a pretty good position in 9 ball.

Lastly, work on your safety game, a lock up safe will win you as many games as making a super tough shot.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Safeties

Safety play is much different; in 8 ball hanging your ball can be beneficial, 9 ball it is disastrous - learn which is the 'pro' side of the pocket.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
Safety play is much different; in 8 ball hanging your ball can be beneficial, 9 ball it is disastrous - learn which is the 'pro' side of the pocket.

Agreed. Also, play safe early in 9B. In 8B, you can wait until the end of your run to play a safe. In 9B, there's a ton of guys that can run 3 balls and out; but there's fewer that can run 7 out.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get proficient at the 6 ball ghost. Most times that you will get to the table there are 6 balls or less. Unless you are really zoned in, if the percentages are really against you making the shot, play safe. If there is no way of getting shape while potting the ball that is up, play safe.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is good advice. I was taught "how to miss" by a much better player and now understand how he can miss and still win most racks. Light bulb on!

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is good advice. I was taught "how to miss" by a much better player and now understand how he can miss and still win most racks. Light bulb on!
Are we talking about leaving the cue ball in a difficult position to make the current object ball you are shooting at if you miss the shot

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have traditionally been an 8 ball player....started back playing about 2 months ago....I am joining a 9 ball league and I was wondering if there is any mental advice in the transition from one game to the next...I understand the rules so I do not mean that....But i believe the two games to have different thought processes. Thanks in advance
There is much more strategy and planning in 8-ball. Comparisons and difference between the two game can be found here:

8-ball strategy resource page

9-ball strategy resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like you're a bit of a beginner. If that's the case, leave strategy aside for now and focus on pocketing balls. I know the strategy behind each game can get fascinating and can often be the determinant between winners and losers but as you progress through your salad days, the best strategy often goes back to the fundamentals - make the ball.

I've been instructing & coaching players for a long time now and often the most difficult student to teach is the beginner that looks to play defense for fear of missing and losing the game. This strategy might help you against other beginners but it will prove to be insufficient as you progress through the ranks. If you want to improve quickly, treat pool like a shooting gallery. Knock everything down in front of you and you'll see your speed, selection and cue control naturally improve. Once you reach a level where pocketing comes more naturally, you'll then get to deploy strategy as a mechanism to gain control of the table and convert that opportunity into a win.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the Pro side of the pocket?

I means missing the ball so you don't leave a shot or leave a low percentage shot. Usually it is over cutting the ball and leaving the object ball on the rail with the cue ball on the other side of the table.

For me it works better against lower level players than high level. In a local league it is a valid strategy against most players.

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like you're a bit of a beginner. If that's the case, leave strategy aside for now and focus on pocketing balls. I know the strategy behind each game can get fascinating and can often be the determinant between winners and losers but as you progress through your salad days, the best strategy often goes back to the fundamentals - make the ball.

I've been instructing & coaching players for a long time now and often the most difficult student to teach is the beginner that looks to play defense for fear of missing and losing the game. This strategy might help you against other beginners but it will prove to be insufficient as you progress through the ranks. If you want to improve quickly, treat pool like a shooting gallery. Knock everything down in front of you and you'll see your speed, selection and cue control naturally improve. Once you reach a level where pocketing comes more naturally, you'll then get to deploy strategy as a mechanism to gain control of the table and convert that opportunity into a win.

I am a beginner at 9 ball but I have played 8 ball for 25 years....I played games of 9 ball but never seriously...I can shoot now am I pro level well of course not I have no idea how the APA ranking works but i have been told i would be around a 7 by several people.....whatever that means....I understand shape, english, safety play, I am not looking for shooting instruction although I can improve don't get me wrong. I just see the strategic part of the game being played differently as well league play....If anything I would be too aggresive...i'm not scared of any shot

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Depends. What's your mental approach to 8-ball?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be good at mid level apa 9ball it's about ball count, make what you can until your not 80% sure you can make it then play safe. Sinking the 9 doesn't really mean much unless you need the extra few points. Just get to your point level first you win match

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
aggresive...run as many as possible...make good shape on then next ball but only look 1 to 2 ahead....very little safety play

I don't really like to give advice because it generates arguments on this forum and admittedly I'm not a great player but a simple rule of thumb in 9 ball and to some extent 8 ball is after the break look to see where the problems are. If balls are tied up you either have to either have to figure out a way to break them open with the current layout or play safe, get ball in hand and then break them open.

You need to learn how to kick or you will be very frustrated when playing higher level players in 9 ball. Even mid level players will run a few balls and play safe to get ball in hand so they can finish the runout. Again, I don't like to give advice but if you don't know a kicking system a good, simple, easy to remember system is the plus 2 system. There are videos from both Dr Dave and Bob Jewett. If you can't kick you are going to hate 9 ball because once other players figure out you can't kick you will be kicking all the time.

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be good at mid level apa 9ball it's about ball count, make what you can until your not 80% sure you can make it then play safe. Sinking the 9 doesn't really mean much unless you need the extra few points. Just get to your point level first you win match

See this makes perfect sense...I get that completely