Is it the rules or just me?

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I seem to remember being fascinated by the shot making aspect of 9 ball back when the 2 foul rule was in. The modern game feels slow, methodical and fairly predictable. Way too many safeties and very few risks, pretty boring really. I simply can't watch much 9 ball anymore, anyone else see it this way or is it just me becoming jaded in my old age :smile:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game evolves, people learn what works.

It is still beautiful to watch it done well...and even more beautifuler when you do it well.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember being fascinated by the shot making aspect of 9 ball back when the 2 foul rule was in. The modern game feels slow, methodical and fairly predictable. Way too many safeties and very few risks, pretty boring really. I simply can't watch much 9 ball anymore, anyone else see it this way or is it just me becoming jaded in my old age :smile:

I think it has become more boring to watch and play. Some people will say just the opposite.

I used to be able to watch pool for hours and days, on end, but now it is too predictable and safety oriented.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game evolves, people learn what works.

It is still beautiful to watch it done well...and even more beautifuler when you do it well.

Lol. I should have known this would get your attention.
1 foul ( as you know) is not 'the evolution' of the game> It was developed to 'speed up'
the game for tourneys. It was never made for non-tourney play.
Ok. Lets hear it...lol.
ps
Texas-Express made 9 ball a joke.
If you want to duck-duck-duck....play 1 hole.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it has become more boring to watch and play. Some people will say just the opposite.

I used to be able to watch pool for hours and days, on end, but now it is too predictable and safety oriented.

I agree with you Mr. Eye...Thats why these days, all the good players (except maybe you :eek:) now prefer to do their high $$$ gambling, at one pocket! ;)

Last edited:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I started playing when 2 foul/push out was the standard & then converted to Texas Express when the game changed like everyone else. I think two foul is far better for gambling. It's a game suited to ball strikers & great shot makers. Far more risks than 1 foul but far more exciting as well.

One-Foul is a joke and so is someone who would bet their money at it thinking it's a better game than Two-Foul.

I would not bet a quarter playing One-Foul 9-Ball.

You are correct.

RBL

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
1 foul ( as you know) is not 'the evolution' of the game> It was developed to 'speed up'
Ok. Lets hear it...lol.
ps

Yup, a real joke. Thousands of players are laughing right now.
randyg

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJD is right

I agree with you Mr. Eye...Thats why these days, all the good players (except maybe you :eek:) now prefer to do their high $$$ gambling, at one pocket! ;)
I understand the idea behind the change to 1 foul, but it added a huge luck factor
to the game. The weaker player has a much better chance and it speeds up the
game. I wonder how much faster the sets really are. Have there been any tournaments
where 2 foul was played, How much slower were they. I really don't know. I have
also heard that spectators would not understand 2 foul if they weren't pool players.
I don't agree with that. if they can understand ball in hand if your opponent fouls, they
could understand 2 foul. Has anyone that grew up gambling playing 2 foul like 1 foul
better ? Unless you were a sucker and 1 foul gives you a better chance I doubt it.
jack

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first concern is the time factor (there are many others). TE was brought in to move the games and matches along. Well, TE and it's strategies have evolved. I think it may now even be slower than push-out.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even after the two fouls games were fading away and one foul was becoming the favorite game, mainly because of tournaments where matches in regards to time could be predicted. In the big money games most players still preferred two shot pushout because it mainly eliminated most of the luck.

After a period of time the two foul games completely disappeared because the younger players started to dominate. By this time they only played Texas Express because that's all they knew..

In trying to balance out the luck factor they started to play marathon matches. Like races to 50, 100 etc.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Lets hear it...lol.
ps

FYI - Those are exactly the same reasons 'push out' was invented.

Dale

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI - Those are exactly the same reasons 'push out' was invented.

Dale

In part, I agree. 'Honest effort' was a real joke. You acted like you tried to hit the ball, but, in fact you were playing whitey safe. And on and on it went.
So, along came 'shoot again' where you could make your opponent shoot if you didn't like where whitey was....and on and on it went.
Then came pushout. In the beginning, it was 2 consecutive fouls by the same player.You would push, he would push back...and on and on it went.
Enter pushout (mod). The player who committed the second consecutive foul gave up ball-in-hand. And we had a winner!
The strategy of where to push ( knowing what you're opponent would likely do ),Being able to bank, being able to make 'spot shots' ( a lost art ) , ... it is a great game.
When 1 foul was invented ( around 1969-1970 ), the rules were drastically different from the mess that texas express came with.
1. scratch on the break, all balls spot, whitey behind the head string.
2 Scratch and pocket a ball, ball-in-hand,ball pocketed spots up.
3 Scratck on the 9 ball, ball behind the line. If 9 ball pocketed, 9 ball spots..Gotta make those spot shots to play pushout.
Good luck 1 foulers.
If you see me playing 1 foul 9 ball, bet on me, because I'm stealing! ( only way to play 1 foul ).
I will match up playing pushout.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In part, I agree. 'Honest effort' was a real joke. You acted like you tried to hit the ball, but, in fact you were playing whitey safe. And on and on it went.
So, along came 'shoot again' where you could make your opponent shoot if you didn't like where whitey was....and on and on it went.
Then came pushout. In the beginning, it was 2 consecutive fouls by the same player.You would push, he would push back...and on and on it went.
Enter pushout (mod). The player who committed the second consecutive foul gave up ball-in-hand. And we had a winner!
The strategy of where to push ( knowing what you're opponent would likely do ),Being able to bank, being able to make 'spot shots' ( a lost art ) , ... it is a great game.
When 1 foul was invented ( around 1969-1970 ), the rules were drastically different from the mess that texas express came with.
1. scratch on the break, all balls spot, whitey behind the head string.
2 Scratch and pocket a ball, ball-in-hand,ball pocketed spots up.
3 Scratck on the 9 ball, ball behind the line. If 9 ball pocketed, 9 ball spots..Gotta make those spot shots to play pushout.
Good luck 1 foulers.
If you see me playing 1 foul 9 ball, bet on me, because I'm stealing! ( only way to play 1 foul ).
I will match up playing pushout.

1. Not in part at all, it was developed for tournaments. to speed the games up.

2. I never realized there were sooooooo many nits who gambled at 9 ball.
Where I misspent my youth, the players were self-regulating. It was a non-problem.

Any nit who played in the manner you, and many before you, have described
would soon find they couldn't get a game unless they took hostages.

Dale

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I gambled at one-pocket with the old timers when I was a kid working in the pool hall. None of them would play me 9-ball for a nickel, so we used to play for $100 a game because they always thought they could out smart me and out bankroll me. The owner of the pool hall would back me against anybody in the house when I was 15 or 16 and I won thousands in a day before. I can count on one hand the number of times they got my money. The only people back then that played one-pocket were the ones that were afraid to play 9-ball with anybody who could string a couple racks in a row.

I started out playing snooker before I ever took up pool, so pool seemed a bit easier when I finally got around to spending a lot of time at it. I used to play snooker for $100 a game and even spotted some players 60 points on the wire.

Even though I played one-pocket and made money at it, it was my least favorite game to play. It still is. If I'm going to play something, I like "action". I don't like sitting around for an hour waiting for my opponent to figure out how to bunt a ball into a rail. The strategy involved may excite some people, but I'd rather watch curling.

To each, their own.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gambled at one-pocket with the old timers when I was a kid working in the pool hall. None of them would play me 9-ball for a nickel, so we used to play for $100 a game because they always thought they could out smart me and out bankroll me. The owner of the pool hall would back me against anybody in the house when I was 15 or 16 and I won thousands in a day before. I can count on one hand the number of times they got my money. The only people back then that played one-pocket were the ones that were afraid to play 9-ball with anybody who could string a couple racks in a row.

I started out playing snooker before I ever took up pool, so pool seemed a bit easier when I finally got around to spending a lot of time at it. I used to play snooker for $100 a game and even spotted some players 60 points on the wire.

Even though I played one-pocket and made money at it, it was my least favorite game to play. It still is. If I'm going to play something, I like "action". I don't like sitting around for an hour waiting for my opponent to figure out how to bunt a ball into a rail. The strategy involved may excite some people, but I'd rather watch curling.

To each, their own.

Mr. Eye, your [sic] 'modesty' is exceeded only by your failure to appreciate one pocket, the best gambling game played
on a pool table..(also now the most popular)..I suppose you would prefer to watch 'curling' rather than 'ice hockey' too!
..To each his own indeed! :rolleyes:

PS..BTW, Even now well into my 80's, I would gladly come out of retirement to take some of that '60 points at snooker' you routinely gave up!....(just pick a $$$ amount) ......Or we could maybe play some even up one pocket...I'll glad to show you how (in only 30 seconds) to correctly "bunt a few balls into the rail"! :yeah:

Last edited: