Tournament payouts

Good Sam

Registered
I have been helping out with a weekly tournament at the local watering hole. The only issue the owner and I differ on is payouts. How do you decide what percentages to payout and what percentage of the field?

Good Sam

Registered
The turnout has been 16 to 24 players. $10.00 buy-in and the skill levels are all over the board. We have a couple of APA 4s that participate and some who would be 7s if they ever played APA. It is just a fun weekly tournament using BCA rules to pass the time in between league sessions.

sam74

Registered
How long does it take to complete a 16-24 person tournament?

The payout could depend a lot on what type of establishment it is (how much money does the owner stand to make vs how much is he willing to invest), how many tables do you play on vs how many are available. It helps to advertised a guaranteed add on if possible based on the number of players.

I've seen good ownership guaranteed add on where 1st took all the players money and 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes deeper splits add on money.

If they have no guaranteed add on then 1st should certainly get at least half of players money if not more. But if you don't pay 2nd and 3rd with that many people playing then you might kill interest.

Lots of factors involved but the main thing is to keep the interest up and draw more people in if the environment is conducive of that.

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are screenshots of the tourney payout app... You can adjust the payout % too
165b1cca45ebc97b6eb11b7d460bb819.jpg
360f77f41c55e99333287e7ccf157ff2.jpg
24499bdd875d3e3dd60caca051a231cf.jpg
e60e05e43344951f1c7921b9e158a074.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
So, we're talking about $160-$240 gross, plus $25-$50 added money. Any thing taken out for green fees?

What is the current payout structure, and why do you disagree?

The turnout has been 16 to 24 players. $10.00 buy-in and the skill levels are all over the board. We have a couple of APA 4s that participate and some who would be 7s if they ever played APA. It is just a fun weekly tournament using BCA rules to pass the time in between league sessions.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam,

I think it depends on what you are wanting to accomplish. Generally, tournaments payout around 25% of the field. If you want bigger payouts which will result in better players then payout 10% of the field. If you want to have a fun tournament where some of the weaker players can sneak into the money on occasion then pay 33% of the field. As far as the what to payout, that payout calculator looks interesting.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Payouts should cover 10-15% of the field.

3 person payout, up to 28 players.

At worst
10 + scratch pot

28-36 players 4 places
36-48 players 6 places

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been helping out with a weekly tournament at the local watering hole. The only issue the owner and I differ on is payouts. How do you decide what percentages to payout and what percentage of the field?

Sounds exactly like the tournaments I help run. What we do is pay a strict 25% of the field. 8 players, only 2 get paid. 32 players, 8 get paid.

Basically payouts look like this:
8-10 players, only 1,2 places get paid. 65% and 35% or so. Rounded to not have change.
11-14 players, 1,2, and 3. 50%, 30%, 20% rounded once again.
15-23 players, 1, 2, 3, 4. ~45%, ~30%, ~20%, and fourth is ~10%
24-31 players, 1-6 get paid. 5/6 only get their entry back, rest of pot like above.
32 players, 1-8 get paid. 7/8 get their entry back. 5/6 get $15, and then the remaining pot split like above ~45%, ~30%, ~20% and ~10%.

What this does is establish a very repeatable guideline. The only people I've found to not like this payout guideline are people who are greedy. They either want more when they win, or want extra places paid when they finish just shy of the money. Either way, this is for a low money added event.

Even with 100% purse matched money added, I have a hard time believe more than 25% of a field should be paid. Stop expecting handouts and improve your game.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This new app is great for promoters. It payed out $20 less than it took in. at least in this example shown.

Here are screenshots of the tourney payout app... You can adjust the payout % too
165b1cca45ebc97b6eb11b7d460bb819.jpg
360f77f41c55e99333287e7ccf157ff2.jpg
24499bdd875d3e3dd60caca051a231cf.jpg
e60e05e43344951f1c7921b9e158a074.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Good Sam

Registered
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was mostly looking for some percentages so we could be more consistent week to week. I'll check out the payout app also.

SVT_Bobby

Registered
I'd pay 3 spots up to 32 players and do a 60% 1st, 30% second and 10% third. If 3rd ends up being less than the entry fee then round up till its at entry fee. How all tournaments in my area are. Friday tournament regularly brings in 40-50 players every Friday and they only pay 3 spots.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pay a quarter to a sixth of the field. Have a payout-ratio between levels of about 1.5:1.

It looks like the pay-out app doesn't have a ratio setting but it's doing about that ratio. It also looks like the app's rounding algorithm is busted if it doesn't get the right total. You can always give/take the few extra bucks to/from the top two places to make the total come out right.

Around here there was a tournament that once a month would pay 50% to 1st, 25% to 2nd and 12.5% to 3rd/4th, rather than the more even payout. That monthly always got a lot of players, but I think the even payouts get more regular players.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I run a weekly 9 ball tournament that is quite successful thanks to the atmosphere of the pool room.16-32 man tournament $10 entry. $2 of that goes to break pot tickets and the rest to the pot. House adds $4 per player up to $100. We pay 3 places

1st-50%
2nd-30%
3rd-20%

Sometimes the money gets moved a few dollars here and there to boost 1st.

If you are going to pay 4 places then

40%
30%
20%
10%

Or (preferably)

50%
25%
15%
10%

Personally I don't like paying 4 places for such a small field that is deep too. We have 2 pros that are top 10 in Texas, one being number 1 for rotation. A few short stops, 1 who is close to top 10 in the state as well. I only pay out top places because the money matters for the pros trying to make a living more than it does for the guys trying to improve by playing in tournaments. 1st should always have a good pay gap.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I don't like paying 4 places for such a small field that is deep too. We have 2 pros that are top 10 in Texas, one being number 1 for rotation. A few short stops, 1 who is close to top 10 in the state as well. I only pay out top places because the money matters for the pros trying to make a living more than it does for the guys trying to improve by playing in tournaments. 1st should always have a good pay gap.

I wish it was more this way in our area. Many players won't play if such and such player is in the field. I'm old school and love it when the field is strong because that's how you improve. It's about instant gratification to many but it is also a reason their games stay stagnant.