The ref for the Shaw vs Ko Match should never be allowed to ref a match ever again

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of my bet or anything else it is completely unfair that the ref re-racked the balls for Shaw and not when Ko asked for it. It should be even rules for both players, either re-rack for both or not at all.

Come f*cking on man. This is supposed to be a pro event. Get someone that doesn't look like one of Charlies Oompa lumpa's to ref fairly. Not fair and I'm sad to see things like that happen is a sport that can clear make the game fair.

Last edited:

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know the ref denied Ko's request for a rerack (or at least to tighten the rack). That's messed up.

Marcopolo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup !!! That’s definitely not right. Don’t be surprised if ko never shows up for the US open again.,and I’m sure if he decides not to come back , the rest might follow .. bull shit refereeing!!!

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was bad.... Several times that Shaw pointed the ref immediately either touched the balls together and checked multiple times, when Ko did that he either denied it or touched the balls once and walked away.

When the score was 9-10 Shaw, when Shaw pointed at the gap, the ref NOT ONLY re-racked the balls but he also cleaned the balls, then re-racked.

Shaw even acknowledged it was unfair when Ko complained.

Shaw made a great bank to win it but these guys flew half way around the world to play here and to get talent like them is very fortunate. Doing things like this will not persuade them to come back. It's really disappointing.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
WOW, what a bonus. First I get to enjoy a great pool match with everything that makes watching pool fun, then I get to read all the crying afterwards. One word DELIGHTFUL!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
The racking issues continue and the fairness is a big problem! I was surprised that the tv table was referring racking the balls and take it as is!

My horse Kevin Cheng was first match with the rule and it certainly was a game changer!

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of my bet or anything else it is completely unfair that the ref re-racked the balls for Shaw and not when Ko asked for it. It should be even rules for both players, either re-rack for both or not at all.

Come f*cking on man. This is supposed to be a pro event. Get someone that doesn't look like one of Charlies Oompa lumpa's to ref fairly. Not fair and I'm sad to see things like that happen is a sport that can clear make the game fair.

Home field advantage ( white ). Just kidding , sorry u lost money .

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually , the bigger question should be racking templates . I DO NOT ALLOW THEM in ANY of my action matches. Thought they were the end all be all............

Ps, I wouldnt feel right if I did not give credit to someone for that phrase lol. I got I from you, know you're reading this so.... ��

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home field advantage ( white ). Just kidding , sorry u lost money .

hahaha, well thanks but regardless, even if I won, I still don't think it was fair. Not trying too change the world here but was simply pissed off and wanted to see if the AZB world was thinking the same.

Can't wait to see the this guy when I get there =D

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like the racking templates because it is the best way to freeze the balls. With that said, if there are set rules, then they should be followed and not changed on a whim.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like the racking templates because it is the best way to freeze the balls. With that said, if there are set rules, then they should be followed and not changed on a whim.

Honestly , with the old delta racks that were a little bigger it really WAS NOT HARD to freeze the balls, assuming the table was not F'd. Did it a million times probably . Always thought of the rack templates as a gimmick and still do. If something was good enough for hundreds of years , how bad can it be lol???

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All mentions of fairness, who did what, etc aside.....

Its a matter of Physics. If ya too short to look down on the one ball, you prolly ought not be racking in a tournament. You have to be able to see WHAT YOU ARE DOING, so a player doesn't have to even mention it ...repeatedly.

Otherwise, he did ok. A bit sleepy on the break ball count, but that rule is BUNK anyhow. Doubt it makes a repeat performance.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, bravo to Jayson for his incredible shooting. I can't believe he was able to do it for the second year in a row.

However, in addition to the issues mentioned above, I am confused as to how the illegal break rule works. Ko had illegal breaks whereas he made one ball, and only had one other ball resting behind the headstring. Fair enough, he had to turn over the table (or give Shaw the option).

When the score was 10-7, Jayson broke and made two balls, and had no balls resting behind the headstring. He continued shooting as there was no call for an illegal break. I thought the rule was any combination of 3 balls resting behind the line or balls made would satisfy a legal break.

Does two balls made somehow negate the illegal break rule? Or is there some inconsistency here?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
First of all, bravo to Jayson for his incredible shooting. I can't believe he was able to do it for the second year in a row.

However, in addition to the issues mentioned above, I am confused as to how the illegal break rule works. Ko had illegal breaks whereas he made one ball, and only had one other ball resting behind the headstring. Fair enough, he had to turn over the table (or give Shaw the option).

When the score was 10-7, Jayson broke and made two balls, and had no balls resting behind the headstring. He continued shooting as there was no call for an illegal break. I thought the rule was any combination of 3 balls resting behind the line or balls made would satisfy a legal break.

Does two balls made somehow negate the illegal break rule? Or is there some inconsistency here?

If balls pass the line but return back to the other side of it, they are still counted as a point. Perhaps this is what happened? Also, balls are only required to touch the head string, not cross it. So if there was a ball with its edge over the line, it still counts.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you let the top tier players rack their own with a template then you get robotic runout's rack after rack. Wing ball guaranteed one ball in the corner, no balls within a foot of each other. If they use a real rack you pretty much get the same thing. If it's referee rack then you have stuff like this come up. Three balls past the head string, no soft break, one on the spot, nine on the spot, nine only counts in top four pockets, no nine on the break, what ever the rules are there seems to always be rack drama. It would be ideal if the refs used wooden racks and the players weren't aloud to inspect or even walk to the racking side of the table. But then players would be complaining about everything and accusing refs of favoritism. It's always going to be like this when you have 10 - 20 big tournaments a year with 10-20 different sets of rules. The game of 9ball and level of play with the rack and break knowledge has evolved so much that it has broken itself. With all that said there have been alot of great matches this year and hats off to Jayson for the strong finish.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ko posted this on his Facebook page after the match

Capture.jpg

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is strong. Thank you for sharing.

Out of curiosity, how many players are there this year at the Open? I can't find a whole lot of information about it this year. The live scoring brackets are great, though. I love that. :)

Someone affiliated said 138.

Reactions: JAM