Can you be too smart to play good pool?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I wonder if anyone is reading this thread on a smartphone....
....and does it keep going off line?
:scratchhead:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I wonder if anyone is reading this thread on a smartphone....
....and does it keep going off line?
:scratchhead:

Capere occasionem, Mon Ami. This thread was resolved a long time ago. It just hasn't disappeared yet. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Capere occasionem, Mon Ami. This thread was resolved a long time ago. It just hasn't disappeared yet. :smile:

Aha, getting a little highbrow, are we?

Well, I'm not going for it....
Ignorance is bliss? Or the street version....What you don't know won't hurt you?
...well, I'm not going for it...
..You can ignore physics all you want....but physics will not ignore you.

regards anyway
pt....loves the Tramp

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you need to be dumb to be great at this game, then I think I'll just stick with being average.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's why you SHOULD be smart to play good pool. Because pool is a game studied between shots. It is not a reactive game. You play the smart shot.

Do you see the top players making stupid decisions? Efren? Earl? The further down on the food chain of pool, the stupid-er the decision are.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This game is not complicated unless you want to make it complicated.

It's so simple.....a caveman could do it.;) John B.

A true statement. There's a line to the object ball, then a line to the pocket. And, make sure you have a good next shot.

Then there's cue attitude, english, drag-draw that actually follows, cloth and rail speed, temperature, humidity...........

But, you get the point. Don't over-analyze it.

All the best,
WW

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think that being too smart can get in the way of understanding simple things.
For example:

The Lone Ranger and Tonto stop for the night, after a hard days ride in the desert.
They set up camp, pitch their tent and fall asleep.

Some hours later, The Lone Ranger wakes his faithful friend.
"Tonto, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Tonto replies,
"Me see millions of stars."

The Lone Ranger asks:
"What does that tell you?"

Tonto ponders for a minute.
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are
millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.

Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.

Chronologically, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three.

Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant.

Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.
What it tell you, Kemo Sabi?"

The Lone Ranger is silent for a moment, then speaks:
"Tonto, you dumb ass, It tells me that someone has stolen our tent."

It turns out Tonto was more of a smart-ass than a dumb-ass:

Attachments

• The Lone Ranger.jpg
    The Lone Ranger.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm

Mezz, Varner, Dick Lane were college grads and were at least APA 5s me thunks
jack.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
It's a fine line. Conscious thought is a detriment to peak performance flow states. Imbeciles are often good players because they're too dumb to overthink it. Some smart guys get trapped overthinking it. The guy you really have too watch for is the really smart guy that plays jam up. He's too smart to overthink it & that makes him very dangerous compared to all the others. YMMV.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think being smart is worth much except when you are matching up, or maybe trying to crunch numbers to see if you should go to a distant tournament (which the correct answer will almost always be no unfortunately). As we know though, being able to match up better means a lot so being smart certainly helps a pool player since you can't win anything in tournaments.

I often notice the most dangerous people are the ones that have no fricking clue they are in a bad game. They just mindlessly play as if they are supposed to win and often will in those cases. So id say attitude and confidence are the most important, and over analyzing and overthinking can be the worst things to do.

Confidently go about your business at the table and let the skills you've developed naturally come out, without reminding yourself of anything, and I think you got a good system going for some great play.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy tell me that he could teach anybody but a doctor.He said they all know that they are smarter than 99% of all people and because of that they won't listen to anything you could possibly teach them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy tell me that he could teach anybody but a doctor.He said they all know that they are smarter than 99% of all people and because of that they won't listen to anything you could possibly teach them.

LOL! Funny.

I teach doctors for a living. Generally they are probably in the top 2% in learning ability for anything. Being a doctor requires being a life long student. Every doctor is primarily a student first. That's aptitude, determination, and dedication, not smart. I never met a doctor that thinks he is smarter than 99% of people because he is a doctor. I have met a few that actually were smarter than 99% but it had nothing to do with them being a doctor.

Some people have limited teaching abilities. :wink:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think so. I also think that it pays to be dumb,or at least act like it.

I even came up with a saying for it,that I tell some people when I'm trying to help them.

" your too smart to learn " and the other one..." your too smart to ever play good pool"

I have never in my life seen or heard that you even have to know how to read or write to play high level pool.

I've seen it my whole life. People that can't read or people that can't walk and chew gum at the same time can play world class pool. ( yeah I know,they just practiced more than you did,well duh!! is what I say to that)

I have come to the conclusion that being or acting too smart will KEEP YOU from ever getting good at this simple game of knocking balls into a hole with a wooden stick.

PS: I've just been reading so much hogwash on here that I just can't help myself from trying to save some pool players from alot of the Bull shit that will keep them from ever getting good at this ever so simple game.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
LOL! Funny.

I teach doctors for a living. Generally they are probably in the top 2% in learning ability for anything. Being a doctor requires being a life long student. Every doctor is primarily a student first. That's aptitude, determination, and dedication, not smart. I never met a doctor that thinks he is smarter than 99% of people because he is a doctor. I have met a few that actually were smarter than 99% but it had nothing to do with them being a doctor.

Some people have limited teaching abilities. :wink:

In that case please tell the doctors you teach that they should listen to their patients and respect what their patients tell them about their own bodies and their own condition, even if they disagree. I've had to deal with a few doctors in my life who refused to do this, and each time they've been wrong about the situation.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Ive found some interesting stuff

John,
I can sure understand what you mean. When I was young I played pretty well and had never had a lesson. The short story is that I stopped playing for some things going on in my life from time to time. Each time I came back Id go to the table to see if I still had it. Once I figured I still had it I would go back into hibernation for awhile cause I was real busy trying to make things work. The last time I came back the bug bit me pretty good and I was 45 but this time I felt something was different. I didnt have it like I thought I used to so I spent some time working with that until I figured I had it again.

I think it comes down to depth perception and a persons inability to understand it because they get in a hurry and think their eyes are supposed to be perfectly ready when they get down or they forget how to look and size things up.

Thats what I try to guide people to understand. I dont diss anyone's method that is working for them but it would be easy to take the approach of a purist and thats what I think I am because I understand perfectly what you are saying.

Robert Byrne wrote some interesting things about form and style playing pool that go against the conventions taught today. One night I saw a fellow running out and he had the worst looking stroke set up Id ever seen and one of best one pocket men Ive seen had the worst stance. So its hard to substitute time at the table and there is no fix in a box type of thing to eliminate that. I think Ive got something entirely wholesome to a persons game that will help them and not harm them that will lead up to them understanding the site picture and the process of what some people find naturally like you and I and tons of other people. What I dislike is over complication, its just not needed. Some the best help I ever got was from a man that played banks on your speed. He had a way of explaining things that was so simple and easy to understand that just him saying it was all you needed to hear. I watched two fellows playing a thousand a set one day and neither one of them had 3 brain cells between them but they sure knew how to play some pool.

Some people just dont seem to connect to the process and thats what I try to help them with. I figure if I do that they are customers for life and thats what I want to be known for. My stuff is good, its affordable and I ll help anyone I can if they ask.I just enjoy the game and company. For me that's what its about.

I think so. I also think that it pays to be dumb,or at least act like it.

I even came up with a saying for it,that I tell some people when I'm trying to help them.

" your too smart to learn " and the other one..." your too smart to ever play good pool"

I have never in my life seen or heard that you even have to know how to read or write to play high level pool.

I've seen it my whole life. People that can't read or people that can't walk and chew gum at the same time can play world class pool. ( yeah I know,they just practiced more than you did,well duh!! is what I say to that)

I have come to the conclusion that being or acting too smart will KEEP YOU from ever getting good at this simple game of knocking balls into a hole with a wooden stick.

PS: I've just been reading so much hogwash on here that I just can't help myself from trying to save some pool players from alot of the Bull shit that will keep them from ever getting good at this ever so simple game.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ican you be too smart to play pool
f you have paralysis by analysis yes
but knowledge can be an edge
jmho
icbw

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is something I noticed.

The players that need to work on playing and don't get to high levels of play, those that are stuck at B, low A level, tend to be more educated and have more knowledge in general than the real top players.

Almost all of the better players in leagues (at least in my area) are engineers, computer programmers and such, doctors, lawyers, high level trades people, those that travel a lot, etc, but there are no really top regional or pro players like that.

I don't know why that is, but I'm guessing those smarter and/or more educated people put time in to get better and try to learn all they can, but are missing the natural talent and time needed to get really good.
That and the fact most of 'em won't bet a quarter and never play really good players. They live in their little comfort bubble and rarely,if ever, venture out.