Justin Bergman going to Mosconi Cup for Team USA

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who believe this will not hurt future participation in the process, I sincerely hope you are right. But if a top level player thinks he's good enough without jumping through the hoops, why not just concentrate on your own training regimen, and concentrate on winning tournaments. You sure don't need Johan's regimen or Jeremy's coaching. Once again, the point being, those good enough to participate will see no reason to do what the coaches want, because they can get there on their own. I personally think Mr. Jones and Mr. Ruijsink do an outstanding job of coaching, but those that skip it do not benefit. So, perhaps not to a drastic level, but some level at least, the quality of American pool is diminished. I hope in the coming years, I'm proved wrong.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Have you contacted Matchroom Stu so that the necessary changes can be made?

I will discuss with them in person in April at the US Open 9-ball, which is plenty early enough. They know me and will listen.

I am not going to complain much, nor will I recommend a selection process. I will just ask them to have a selection process that can be stuck to, in order not to alienate next years Mosconi hopefuls.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, I want our best team at the MC, but this decision has made me lose trust in Johan and Jeremy.

Not me, I continue to respect and trust them in full, but feel that they must define the process for 2020 more rigorously and stick to it, and it's fine with me whatever they decide and whatever exceptions they allow for in such definition.

Johan and Jeremy are a credit to the game. That certainly hasn't changed in any way.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Not me, I continue to respect and trust them in full, but feel that they must define the process for 2020 more rigorously and stick to it, and it's fine with me whatever they decide and whatever exceptions they allow for in such definition.

Johan and Jeremy are a credit to the game. That certainly hasn't changed in any way.

I totally disagree!

this BS has been going on for years

shuff got the horns then someone else and it just does not stop.

Archer was guaranteed a slot despite playing horrible and then the whole Hatch thing and all this pre dates Johan and Jeremy.... the whole thing is creepy and matchroom is creepy .... they pay snooker millions and pool get crumbs totaling less than $100k per team ...

the players should form a union and get more money and better terms....

kd

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally disagree!

Archer was guaranteed a slot despite playing horrible and then the whole Hatch thing and all this pre dates Johan and Jeremy.... the whole thing is creepy and matchroom is creepy .... they pay snooker millions and pool get crumbs totaling less than $100k per team ...

kd

In order for a union to work, there must be providing a service for which someone has a high demand. I don't know that Matchroom, or any promoter, makes enough off of pro pool to fade that kind of drama. More than likely they would just fold up shop and stay home...."Boycott, fine go ahead! I'm heading to the beach!"

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I totally disagree!

kd

Form a union? Lolol

Bye bye MC Cup.

$15k and $30k for a few days of pool is crumbs?

Where do I sign up? What other event pays 15 or 30k per person? None, zero.

Paying ~ 300k for 13 or 14 people is crumbs? Plus travel hotel etc.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
In order for a union to work, there must be providing a service for which someone has a high demand. I don't know that Matchroom, or any promoter, makes enough off of pro pool to fade that kind of drama. More than likely they would just fold up shop and stay home...."Boycott, fine go ahead! I'm heading to the beach!"
Match room is in the business of making money ....

They sell snooker and pool globally and the fact is that the expenses for snooker with millions of dollars in prizes versus pool sold to the same outlets for the same price with a total prize fund of $200k for a week long broadcast. They are not subject to the screen actors guild rules and are getting over......

So, no product to sell that people want then no money

Match room has more to lose than the players laying the golden eggs!

They are not worried about the European viewing support! The USA customer is hard to reach and trying to get the USA pool community to watch pro play is hard. Try getting us to watch b players......

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally disagree!

kd
Matchroom is a promotions co. They DON'T pay the snooker payouts, co's like Betfred etc put up the money. A union??? Are you delirious??? Look, the MC is a made-4-tv exhibition/competition owned by MRSport. They are going to do whatever to put on the best show they see fit. Don't like it, don't watch it. Pool player union, that's funny.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are just a few of the 50+ players who have gone directly to the major leagues, bypassing the players in the farm systems and those who went through spring training. Interestingly enough Stu you are correct. No player has ever taken this direct route to the New York Mets.

Hall of Famer Mel Ott, Sandy Koufax, Al Kaline, Harmon Killebrew, Catfish Hunter, Clete Boyer and Gil Hodges.
Any of these names ring a bell with you?

Bob Hoerner of the Braves.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Well said, a union is a lousy idea right now and it's hard to imagine why would anyone would get tough with Matchroom, the best production and promotions company in pool by a country mile. Matchroom continues to set the standard for excellence in running pro pool events, They are worshipped by this serious fan of the game.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Well said, a union is a lousy idea right now and it's hard to imagine why would anyone would get tough with Matchroom, the best production and promotions company in pool by a country mile. Matchroom continues to set the standard for excellence in running pro pool events, They are worshipped by this serious fan of the game.
Your own bergman complained that short races are bad....

The short race format is nothing like the long races....

The best pool I have seen has always been during a tournament and never during the cup!

Corey draw shot! The list of cup highlights is dynamite appleton jumping on the table after beating Hatch who may or may not have been betting....

The cup is awful. If you know anything about Max Eberle then you would not be singing the Matchroom tune....

Kd

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The best pool I have seen has always been during a tournament and never during the cup!

Corey draw shot! The list of cup highlights is dynamite appleton jumping on the table after beating Hatch who may or may not have been betting....

The cup is awful. If you know anything about Max Eberle then you would not be signing the Matchroom tune....

Kd

Long races SUCK as far as tv/stream goes. Look, its WAY more exhibition than competition. Short races ensure drama and there has been a lot over the years. Don't like it then don't watch it but PLEASE drop the drama/whining. I'm still laughing about the union. You gotta admit it, the mere thought of pool players organizing like that is comical.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom is a promotions co. They DON'T pay the snooker payouts, co's like Betfred etc put up the money. A union??? Are you delirious??? Look, the MC is a made-4-tv exhibition/competition owned by MRSport. They are going to do whatever to put on the best show they see fit. Don't like it, don't watch it. Pool player union, that's funny.

They would have as much pull as Jimmy Hoffa.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long races SUCK as far as tv/stream goes. Look, its WAY more exhibition than competition. Short races ensure drama and there has been a lot over the years. Don't like it then don't watch it but PLEASE drop the drama/whining. I'm still laughing about the union. You gotta admit it, the mere thought of pool players organizing like that is comical.

Beat me to the punch on the reply. People who think the Mosconi cup needs to be long races are not thinking this out. Long races might be good four tournaments and money matches, but not TV. Short races are good for TV and that is what people need to think about. What is good for TV.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

The cup is awful. If you know anything about Max Eberle then you would not be singing the Matchroom tune....

Kd

And yet MC is the only event to have the stands filled.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a pool player's organization is a good idea, not to try to get more money out of Matchroom ( :rolleyes: ), but to work towards some organization, consistency, ensure non-overlapping event dates, and maybe a pro tour. No one else seems to be doing it, why shouldn't the players? I know they've tried before and it failed, but I bet groups like Matchroom would prefer to have an organization to actually talk to instead of just a vacuum.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief. I am ashamed to read some of the comments in this thread.

Matchroom is the BEST thing that ever happened to pool in recent times. Their events are first class as well as the staff.

This bickering back and forth takes the fun out of the Mosconi Cup.

Justin Bergman is on the team. Let's root for the home team and win.

Don't make it difficult for people to enjoy the experience of the Cup as viewers.

As a wise billiards aficionado said, Matchroom is the cook, and they can bring whatever ingredients they want.

Railbirds and forum readers don't have a say in how the Mosconi Cup is run.

Let's pull for TEAM USA to win, and that includes all five of them.

I can't believe that anybody would have the nerve to tell Matchroom how to operate. Are you kidding me? I can't believe what I'm reading.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Bang on, czar.....I’m not even watching the Shane-Robo match unless it’s close 3rd day.
...and organizing pool players is like herding cats.....
...unless some big money enters the game where a lot of pros could survive.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I totally disagree!

kd

A players union has been tried several times and every time it failed miserably. The players will go where the money is, plain and simple. Kevin Trudeau proved that. And before he came along Matchroom took over the World Pool Championship from the WPA by offering a 300K purse and 100K to the winner. This happened twenty years ago and although the WPA tried to compete by holding their own version of the WPC, and threatening bans on the players who played in the Matchroom event, they failed to stop the players from going to Cardiff Wales to compete. They were forced to capitulate and allow Matchroom to be the promoter of the WPC after that.