Has anyone tried the new Schon Hybrid Shafts?

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is interesting. Could the day come where only custom cue makers make standard shafts? Joss, Samsara and now Schon are making LD shafts. The market is getting crowded.

I think this shaft would do better if they shortened the ferrule.

I'm more interested in trying the Samsara.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks similar to the Jacoby Edge Hybrid. Would def be interested in seeing some more info on this.

MalibuMike

Banned
It Plays Awesome!

Like my 30 year old Schon 30" Runde Micarta!
Its a ten piece construction!
Well Schon waited so long to do it, they learned from everyone's mistakes! There is no hallow segments, its solid like the Tiger Pro-X, but larger tip!
I want to see if the make a 30" or one with stitching so it matches my R14.
Kewl!
Mike

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Like my 30 year old Schon 30" Runde Micarta!
Its a ten piece construction!
Well Schon waited so long to do it, they learned from everyone's mistakes! There is no hallow segments, its solid like the Tiger Pro-X, but larger tip!
I want to see if the make a 30" or one with stitching so it matches my R14.
Kewl!
Mike

Well, if it isn't hollow, and the ferrule is huge..Then it probably isn't very ld, either. So what is the point of the laminated construction, then? Wouldn't it be better to stick to the traditional shaft, especially since Schön uses premium wood anyway?

The lamination of the wood doesn't in and of itself make it more ld. Theoretically, if done right, it could lead to the wood being more resistant to warping. But that advantage is used up, because people who do this use crappy wood that hasn't been seasoned properly.

The other advantage of lamination is the fact that it's easier to create a hollowed out section without compromising the wood by drilling (which is moot if no hollow sections exist). You can also insert carbon or other materials to make a hybrid material construction.

The third advantage, which IMO is completely theoretical and without significance is the "radial consistency" (the shaft behaves/deflects the same no matter which way it's turned). This effect is impossible IMO for a normal player to detect.

The most important thing to get from this, is that laminating wood doesn't inherently make a shaft ld, or even make it play well for that matter. Schön is smart to realize that lots of people do not use their shafts, but some kind of aftermarket shaft instead, which obviously leads to loss of sales of extra shafts. They would be wise to keep making their shafts out of premium wood (that is not laminated) and use a shorter, lighter ferrule. It is also possible to drill a very small hole to lighten the front end, without compromising feel, which is reasonable for them to accomplish, but would be tricky for large scale operations like Predator. The hole has to be drilled slowly and in stages. Doing this would create a shaft that could be reasonably called ld, but wouldn't alienate the traditionalists and would still have a nice, crisp feel to it.

Last edited:

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is also possible to drill a very small hole to lighten the front end, without compromising feel, which is reasonable for them to accomplish, but would be tricky for large scale operations like Predator. The hole has to be drilled slowly and in stages. Doing this would create a shaft that could be reasonably called ld, but wouldn't alienate the traditionalists and would still have a nice, crisp feel to it.

Having been out of the game for a while I'm trying to get up to speed on the new technology. I've been trying to figure out whether I should be looking at solid maple shafts or the low deflection shafts. I didn't realize that there's a trade off of feel when you go to a low deflection shaft. Thanks for making me aware of this.

Last edited:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having been out of the game for a while I'm trying to get up to speed on the new technology. I've been trying to figure out whether I should be looking at solid maple shafts or the low density shafts. I didn't realize that there's a trade off of feel when you go to a low density shaft. Thanks for making me aware of this.
Generally, low deflection shafts have wood removed from the first few inches behind the ferrule. Some replace the space with foam or balsa wood. Predator leaves it hallow and I could always feel it.

The Jacoby Hybrid has been my favorite on my search for the holy grail. It still deflects a bit but feels right to me.

MalibuMike

Banned
It's very Low Deflection, as is the Tiger Pro-X, Both do not use outdated, Hollowing!

Well, if it isn't hollow, and the ferrule is huge..Then it probably isn't very ld, either. So what is the point of the laminated construction, then? Wouldn't it be better to stick to the traditional shaft, especially since Schön uses premium wood anyway?

The lamination of the wood doesn't in and of itself make it more ld. Theoretically, if done right, it could lead to the wood being more resistant to warping. But that advantage is used up, because people who do this use crappy wood that hasn't been seasoned properly.

The other advantage of lamination is the fact that it's easier to create a hollowed out section without compromising the wood by drilling (which is moot if no hollow sections exist). You can also insert carbon or other materials to make a hybrid material construction.

The third advantage, which IMO is completely theoretical and without significance is the "radial consistency" (the shaft behaves/deflects the same no matter which way it's turned). This effect is impossible IMO for a normal player to detect.

The most important thing to get from this, is that laminating wood doesn't inherently make a shaft ld, or even make it play well for that matter. Schön is smart to realize that lots of people do not use their shafts, but some kind of aftermarket shaft instead, which obviously leads to loss of sales of extra shafts. They would be wise to keep making their shafts out of premium wood (that is not laminated) and use a shorter, lighter ferrule. It is also possible to drill a very small hole to lighten the front end, without compromising feel, which is reasonable for them to accomplish, but would be tricky for large scale operations like Predator. The hole has to be drilled slowly and in stages. Doing this would create a shaft that could be reasonably called ld, but wouldn't alienate the traditionalists and would still have a nice, crisp feel to it.

It's very Low Deflection, as is the Tiger Pro-X, Both do not use outdated, Hollowing... Also, you will notice that The newest OB "PLUS" has copied Tiger Products and is not hollowed out anymore and it has lower deflection then the old OB's. IMHO it has more to do with the tapper and the wood being used.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very Low Deflection, as is the Tiger Pro-X, Both do not use outdated, Hollowing... Also, you will notice that The newest OB "PLUS" has copied Tiger Products and is not hollowed out anymore and it has lower deflection then the old OB's. IMHO it has more to do with the tapper and the wood being used.

Have you actually tried this schon hybrid shaft?

MalibuMike

Banned
I have tried litterally every LD Shaft out there, from 314 to BD SS360/2

The Top Shaft so far as Low Deflection goes is The Tiger Pro-X, and The New Schon Hybrid, is right up there!
Next I would say, BD SS360/2, Then Mezz Hybrid Pro II, then Jacoby Hybrid Edge with a conical taper. then the rest OB, Pred, G-core, Fury EX II, are all sub-par. IMHO
MMM

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• 20150429_174214.jpg
    20150429_174214.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 4,977
  • user71166_pic15551_1436387875.jpg
    user71166_pic15551_1436387875.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 4,528
  • 20150425_153016.jpg
    20150425_153016.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 4,677
  • 20141202_225704.jpg
    20141202_225704.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 4,714

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Taper, you mean.

This new Schon claims to have a bigger ferrule tenon. I'm assuming it's larger than 5/16. So, the ferrule is thinner. Not a big secret anymore. Lots of makers use 9MM to 3/8 ferrule tenon.

The newest OB Plus Pro has 11.75MM tip size. That might have some bearing to the deflection characteristics .

Imo, the Tiger shafts would have lower deflection if they switched to wood tenoned ferrules . The stemmed Saber ferrules are much heavier than wood.

MalibuMike

Banned
Yes I have tried the Schon Hybrid, I like it!

Have you actually tried this schon hybrid shaft?

I think the new Schon Hybrid hits great, as good as any LD shaft, but since trying all these LD shafts I have actually gone back to a 30 year old Micarta Solid Schon, I love the way it hits and if there is deflection I sure don't notice it, also my position play is much more consistent. Too bad these old shafts are so hard to find!
I'm looking for a 80's Schon Micarta with a dashed ring joint, 29 or 30" 12.5mm or more!
Thanks!

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the new Schon Hybrid hits great, as good as any LD shaft, but since trying all these LD shafts I have actually gone back to a 30 year old Micarta Solid Schon, I love the way it hits and if there is deflection I sure don't notice it, also my position play is much more consistent. Too bad these old shafts are so hard to find!
I'm looking for a 80's Schon Micarta with a dashed ring joint, 29 or 30" 12.5mm or more!
Thanks!
I actually started using a Mezz Ex Pro and cannot imagine a more perfect shaft. Fits great on a Schon too.

shouse10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot for first time other night with my new schon hybrid 12.5mm. So far i like the hit and taper better than my 314-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Top Shaft so far as Low Deflection goes is The Tiger Pro-X, and The New Schon Hybrid, is right up there!
Next I would say, BD SS360/2, Then Mezz Hybrid Pro II, then Jacoby Hybrid Edge with a conical taper. then the rest OB, Pred, G-core, Fury EX II, are all sub-par. IMHO
MMM

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Does the mezz hybrid pro 2 hits the stiffest among em all ??

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very smart, well articulated and well reasoned post. Nice job sir!

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is not entirely accurate. First of all, I suppose it is my opinion that the Tiger Pro-X is not exactly super low deflection. I think it is on par with the Jacoby and like the Mezz WD700. Definitely lower deflection than a standard shaft, but also definitely NOT in the same class as Predator and OB. The hit, however, is very nice. It feels more solid than Predator or OB. (Although the latest offerings from both are quite good on feel as well)

OB has most certainly not "copied" Tiger, because the quality you are saying they copied is NOT in the OB Plus shafts. Both Royce and Shane have specifically stated that the plus models are made to the same specs (same taper, same hollowing), but instead use 6 pieces of solid maple to laminate the shaft, instead of 6 pieces of *laminated* wood. Yes, the old OB's had laminations made out of laminations. It is possible that this is the source of your confusion. Currently the Classic Plus and the Pro Plus have a hollow several inches down the shaft, whereas the OB1 and 2 have the entire shaft hollowed and filled with a vibration dampening rubbery foam. Having looked down the hole in the shaft in a friends OB2 Plus that had the ferrule break off, I can assure you that this is the case.

OB also specifically attributed the reduction in deflection to a reduction in end mass. They switched to a different ferrule material that was stronger, and hence could be made thinner and lighter. They also fit the carbon fiber pad at the end inside the end of the ferrule, thus reducing the size of the carbon fiber pad, and thus reducing weight.

Just wanted to clear up any confusion about what was said here.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MMM

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

"Top" in what regard? It sounds like you prefer a medium deflection more solid shaft. Perhaps because of the more solid feel. What qualities made your top picks the top?

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually started using a Mezz Ex Pro and cannot imagine a more perfect shaft. Fits great on a Schon too.

SO what qualities make a shaft perfect in your opinion?

KMRUNOUT