new cue

coltstudd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi forum thinking about a new cue.4 point full splice nothing fancy just a good shooter,rick howard,keith josey,dzuricky just to name a few i was looking at,what do you think?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 4 point Rick Howard that's fantastic though it's not full splice.
Like a fool I sold a full splice sneaky made for me by Keith Josey, (friend begged for it). Selling it was a mistake.
No experience with Dzuricky but all I hear is great. Check out his youtube videos about cue repair/building.
You picked 3 great names here, good luck!
(my R. Howard is NOT for sale)
At this stage of my life if I was going to get a new cue it would be a full splice true sneaky from Schmelke for a little less than $150.

Last edited:

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
If you're looking for something new built to your specs then I think those are good choices. If I were going to get a full splice shooter I would buy a Motty titlist conversion, I have never had one but everyone says they play great and if you find one for a good price you'll likely have an easy sell in the future if you so desire.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe add Bob Frey to your list. On the other hand Johnny mentioned Schmelke. They not only make cues they sell a boatload of unfinished blanks to "custom" builders. How much is a sanding, finish and name stamp worth?

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a basic sneaky, from Keith Josey back in 2011. They were easy to work with, and communication was good. Plus, it was completed a few weeks before the promised delivery time. It's been my primary cue ever since.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have one Dzuricky- I do not know if he does full splice cues- - the one i own plays and is constructed very well!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Old Wood his very well, think about a Titlist Conversion. Lots of people doing the conversions, and also think someone extra they will part with.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

DZ makes good cues, I had one and 2 of my friends ordered from him once they played with mine.

Josey also one of the best, I just got another cue from him.

Make sure you ask for hand selected shaft wood from both so you get the best, its worth extra $$$
Josey Timeless Timber shaft is unbeatable wood!

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 4 point Rick Howard that's fantastic though it's not full splice.
Like a fool I sold a full splice sneaky made for me by Keith Josey, (friend begged for it). Selling it was a mistake.
No experience with Dzuricky but all I hear is great. Check out his youtube videos about cue repair/building.
You picked 3 great names here, good luck!
(my R. Howard is NOT for sale)
At this stage of my life if I was going to get a new cue it would be a full splice true sneaky from Schmelke for a little less than $150.

I've had a couple of cues from Schmelke, but that was before the Laminated Shafts came out. I'm thinking about getting him to make me a LD shaft with 5/16x14 pin. Have you tried one of his LD shafts, or heard anything about them?

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Maybe add Bob Frey to your list. On the other hand Johnny mentioned Schmelke. They not only make cues they sell a boatload of unfinished blanks to "custom" builders. How much is a sanding, finish and name stamp worth?

+1 on Bob Frey :thumbup:

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Diveney

I have been shooting with a Diveney Custom Ebony Hustler since 2013 and I also got one of his cocobolo Bar Hustler cues. Had him make 31" butts and 30" Diveney Lake Salvage shafts with them. Also have one of his LD Kiel Wood shafts.

I doubt I will ever have another playing cue made. His web site says he is not currently taking custom orders as he is a busy guy. But, he usually has an inventory of Custom Ebony and Sneaky Petes.

He has made cues and shafts for at least three of our current Mosconi Cup players. But, they were lured away buy deep pocket sponsors.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a test hit Josey I’d probably sell. Pm if interested.
I might be interested in the Josey if it's a true sneaky. Of course I'll wait to see if "coltstudd" wants to get it, if not I'd like to see a few pics, price, and then decide. Thanks

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
DZ and Josey. I had a Josey and it was awesome. I now have 2 DZ cues...they are beautiful, full splice and he delivered both ahead of schedule. The middle Purple Heart cue is Bob's sneaky pete with the addition of the curly maple butt, hoppe ring and 12 brass inlay dots that he added. The ebony is a FS Prather with blue veneers that Bob finished and the cocobolo MW is a Pechauer. All have 3/8x10 modified pins.

Attachments

• 81A34268-32A2-43F1-9BD7-C44A263C2606.jpg
    81A34268-32A2-43F1-9BD7-C44A263C2606.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
hi forum thinking about a new cue.4 point full splice nothing fancy just a good shooter,rick howard,keith josey,dzuricky just to name a few i was looking at,what do you think?

I think you should do it and get whatever one YOU want.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plenty of good suggestions and builder recommendations have been made so far. I'd like to add Mike Capone to the list of builders to consider.

Keith

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Bob Dzuricky is great to deal with by the way, as are Keith and Sherry Josey. You can't go wrong with either of them, both deliver on time, both build great cues at very competitive pricing.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
All I can tell ya is that I bought a Josey with 4 needle sharp even points and veneers back in 2007...I've quit thinking of buying another cue.
Have thought of buying a "timeless timber" shaft though. If I had it to do over, I'd order one standard shaft and one "timeless".