Should pool be fun or work?

In my estimation, pool should be primarily work. Surely you may encounter short instances of fun along the way, but the overall experience should be classified as work.

Look at the faces of Dynamite, The Kaiser, The Hitman, The Pearl, The South Dakota Kid, The Fireball, The Scorpion, The Terminator, and you tell me if it looks like they are having fun to you.

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the faces of Dynamite, The Kaiser, The Hitman, The Pearl, The South Dakota Kid, The Fireball, The Scorpion, The Terminator, and you tell me if it looks like they are having fun to you.

Are you kidding? They're having the time of their lives playing a game they love. I look serious as **** when I play and i'm enjoying every minute of it.

Pool should be to you whatever you want it to be.

but the overall experience should be classified as work.

Now that you're the authority on classifying pool as work, at least we got something done today :D

Last edited:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree that work can and should be fun. I am retired now but during my 40+ years of working, I never had a job I did not enjoy and look forward to every day, and I worked hard.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hard work is fun. Its not the physical aspect that people think is not fun but the fulfillment of a job well done.

If working in the yard, turning soil over and sweating in the hot sun is what makes you happy at the end of the day, then you have achieved your goal.

If you can look at your work, no matter what it is that you've done, and say to yourself, I did something, I changed something, then it was worth it.

Pool is a ton of hard work, but when the end has justifies the means, then it was fun. And it is often not the end result but the road you took to get there.

I know you're just trolling for another BS thread. If pool was work, why, at the end of my work day, am I raring to get to the bar or hall for league night. I'd avoid it like the plague.

You're Pocket Point without a doubt. You already know in your mind, the answer to your stupid questions that you ask.

Last edited:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During my group lesson with Earl Strickland he told us that if we could play like he plays we would want to and enjoy doing it all day.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You doubt it. You were the one that asked the question, so why would you doubt Lee's statement.

Or are you just playing the Devils A$$vocate now, you tricky little Imp, you.

When I go down into my shop to work on cues, its work and quite often its challenging and hard work.
I'm applying knowledge that I have accumulated over time. When I see the end result, I get a satisfied feeling.
A satisfied feeling. Is that not the same feeling we get when we consider all the hard/fun work we put into practicing
and we end up having a great night of shooting pool.
So if its work and work is supposed to be unenjoyable, why do we do it?

Heck, I can go for the regular 9 Ball sat tourney and get my butt kicked all over the place and I get the same feeling that I have when I return the favor on someone else.

Same with pool. Same with marriage. Same with life.
Senior citizens that I know that worked their fingers to the bone with very little to show for it, why are they so damn happy.
People that I know that have the Midas Touch, have everything that you or I might covet, why are they so damn unhappy.

Last edited:
You doubt it. You were the one that asked the question, so why would you doubt Lee's statement.

Or are you just playing the Devils A$$vocate now, you tricky little Imp, you.

It doesn't sound like something Earl would say. That's all. I am not in a position to say whether it is true or false, I just doubt it.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358411605.733993.jpg

I assure you it is as I say.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358411577.130780.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358411577.130780.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 397

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Nice pic Lee. Did you guys trade cues for a minute?
If I could play like Earl, I think I'd enjoy doing it all day long.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice pic Lee. Did you guys trade cues for a minute?
If I could play like Earl, I think I'd enjoy doing it all day long.

He let me shoot with his cue. He would tell us after missing we could make it with his cue. It was surreal. I remember it all vividly. That was my old cue I was posing with though. You can actually see part of his signature on my cue.

Last edited:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides my vivid memory of Earl talking about how we would want to shoot all day if we could shoot as good as him, I'll share a couple other vivid memories from the lesson.

He talked about how there should be a big screen showing the shot clock for the entire audience to see. A very short shot clock. He talked about how slow play killed pool. (I bet he's going to be a 24 second shot clock bonus ball genius)

He talked about how pockets are too big. He said just because Tiger Woods can putt better than anyone they don't go making bigger holes so everyone else can make those putts. He said He would rob the world if they used super tight pockets. "Why won't they let me rob everyone?"

He was shooting a tough shot with a weight on his bridge arm. After he missed he explained how he would make it now and moved the weight onto his neck. (He made it)

While shooting a shot that required massive inside english to go three rails one of the students waiting for the lesson to start suggested a certain adjustment to make it work. "I've been working on this shot for twenty years and this guy just figured it out in 5 minutes."

It was all epic and very memorable.

I also asked him about the million dollar shot. He described it and I bet I could set it up and it would look close to what we are all going to see when CJ releases the video soon. I have a very good long term memory.

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you have against me? So much so that you are cheering against me?

I have nothing against you personally. I am sure if I ever met you in person I would buy you a drink and have friendly conversation. I do however wonder about your motives in most if not all of the post that I have seen from you. You come across as a very negative person.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i feel the enjoyment comes from crushing the oppponenet...and one has to work to position hizzelf to be able to do so.

Is anyone else horribly saddened to find that Luxury is not the pyt in his avatar? And to think...I was going to interview her for my first affair.:sad: