Pittsburg pool hall question

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found myself in Pittsburg this afternoon with a few hours to kill before my flight took off and wound up at a place called Breakers. What a freaking cool place. It was located in a small downtown area around some quant coffee and sandwich shops and had a bunch of Diamond tables and three carom tables. It was pretty early in the day so it was rather empty but there was a couple of guys trying to play some one hole. There’s a bar that is up front and separate from the room so I’m not sure if you can get drinks there and bring them in or not, but the place seems to have some style.

Any chance there’s a local around that can tell me what kind of place it is at nighttime? Thanks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m pretty sure that Paul Mottey, one of the greatest cuemakers that ever lived, still owns it.
I would think it’s THE place in Pittsburg.
...haven’t been that way in years, before Paul bought it.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m pretty sure that Paul Mottey, one of the greatest cuemakers that ever lived, still owns it.
I would think it’s THE place in Pittsburg.
...haven’t been that way in years, before Paul bought it.

I think he was one of the guys playing one pocket. He recently had some medical issues and was having to use a walker to get around and said he was just getting some exercise. He did have a nice looking cue tho

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Yes its Mottey place. Some of those guys are always there, they often gamble.

First 2-3 tables are for gamblers only.

Place is usually busy afternoon and have league matches few days a week. They lack big tournaments for some reason... they could do it weekly but people who runs it are old and not into that anymore.

edatplaypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It pretty much is the only place to play in Pittsburgh. Frankly I don't find there is that much going on there in the evenings. There is a special for seniors during the day so that is one of the busier times, mostly billiards.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in the 90s they had 9 ball tournaments there every Sunday, Monday, Weds and Friday night starting at 8 PM. It’s like 15 minutes from where my mom lives so I try to get in there once a year over the holidays to hit balls. I may be there next Saturday.

Last edited: