Bender Snakewood cue

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found a nice Bender wrapless cue made of nearly entirely snakewood. I've always wanted a snakewood cue but have been hesitant of it's tendency to crack. If the cue is nearly a decade old has it's likelihood of cracking dramatically decreased? This will be a big purchase for me so I want to ensure I am making a wise decision.
Thanks for your input,
Ryan

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Many Cuemaker reinforce exotic woods with a resin, to prevent from cracking. Send Bender a E-Mao, may e he will advice if he does. Snakewood is not one of the problems, its Burl Wood that is the most problems.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many Cuemaker reinforce exotic woods with a resin, to prevent from cracking. Send Bender a E-Mao, may e he will advice if he does. Snakewood is not one of the problems, its Burl Wood that is the most problems.

That's interesting, I didn't realize burl's would be susceptible to cracking after a cue is built. As to Mike's email, I tried the one on his website and it is not working. If you have a good email address please PM me and I'd be happy to reach out to him.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ryan,
If the cue has been kept in your immediate geographical area for 10 years, then it is safer, but still no guarantees. If you are getting it shipped to you from another area, then all bets are off.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snakewood

Snakewood has a tendency to stab you in the heart at any given time but after ten years is a safer bet.

Btw: Burls are usually put through stabilization process and then cored.

Mario

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

WRONG!
Please stop answering questions for cue makers.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We'll MN to Dallas, so definitely different climates...

[/B][/B]
Ryan,
If the cue has been kept in your immediate geographical area for 10 years, then it is safer, but still no guarantees. If you are getting it shipped to you from another area, then all bets are off.
My 2 cents,
Gary

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see somebody to make one of the hardest and stiffest wood as snakewood to soak any resin:D

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snakewood is very prone to crack unless you are willing to use splices. Cuemakers understand the slice statement.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
WRONG!
Please stop answering questions for cue makers.

It's called Free seach, and someone made the point little guy, about stabilizing. Actually I waited once before you were born for a Burl Cue, stabilized wood the guy had kept breaking during build. We decided on something else.

Guy was ACA Member not someone to be two Cue a years guy, hobby builder with big mouth.

Also Martin @ Superior Cue sells Benders, so I am sure he has Mike's Number, also check with ACA officer for contact info. (American Cuemakers Asso) as Mike was member at one time.

Last edited:

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bender's email?

Ok, looks like the best answer is to find out Mike's email so if anyone has it, please PM me. I will be sure not to circulate it.
Thank you,
Ryan

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Burls

Bingo you wrote the word I fought, STABELIZATION.:thumbup:

Although, your 2nd hand experience with burl wood is true and accurate to you; it does not make it the rule, it's limited at best, badly informed, and not to be spread upon us, though your good intentions are acknowledge. Thanks

Burls have to be dried carefully for long periods of time; the process of stabilization has to be done correctly, coring, and the quality of the core are important, if due to circumstances any of the steps are misguided the burl will begin cracking. Some burls that show major defects will fail, stabilization is not a cure for all.

Mario

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's called Free seach, and someone made the point little guy, about stabilizing. Actually I waited once before you were born for a Burl Cue, stabilized wood the guy had kept breaking during build. We decided on something else.

Guy was ACA Member not someone to be two Cue a years guy, hobby builder with big mouth.

Also Martin @ Superior Cue sells Benders, so I am sure he has Mike's Number, also check with ACA officer for contact info. (American Cuemakers Asso) as Mike was member at one time.

Sorry, free speech only matters in terms of government silencing. Strike 1. Not all stabilized woods are correctly done, and that’s even if the wood accepts full penetration. Strike 2. Snakewood and burls have almost nothing in common. Strike 3. I can go on and on about where you went wrong.

This is AzHousePro’s forum, he has been very lax in certain areas regarding who can post here. But there is a line that behavior like yours is not tolerated. Giving obviously bad info needs to be addressed. And Snakewood will always be a risk for cracking and checking, but considering the age....I’d say the difference in locations poses more of a problem than just the snakewood.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is the ask the cuemaker section...

Now I personally don't see anything wrong with sharing anecdotal experience, but you made it come across as a matter of fact when you said snakewood isn't the problem. And snakewood is discussed frequently in this section, so...

<----not a cuemaker

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I was sharing my experience, think you need go back and read everything I posted. Problem I experience was I had ordered a Cue it was to be Ambonia Burl, it was stableized wood the gentleman was trying to work with. It kept blowing up on him, it would not turn properly. He said I give up on using the Amboina as you want. I said I get it. We moved on.

Problem is with wood when you turn it it is not like Cold Steel, Stainess Steel, or Alumium, Bronze, Brass, Copper or other metals. Those metals are made by man in a controled manufacturing process. Where the metal can be pretty much standardized.

Wood on the other hand varies from piece to niece with the same specie. So you might have two blocks of Cocobolo 2" X 2" X 18" from the same tree. Each is different because where in the tree they came from. Then you have two identical block of say Mexican Cocobolo both from different growing regions, with slightly different climetes, rainfall, etc. New game on.

So this is the problem the wood worker faces, Cuemakers face with each piece of wood because it is not like a man made product. Grain patterns, grain structure, knots, density, etc. Wood is made by Mother Nature, and nothing is exactly the same.

By the way I have work with wood in school shops, served a couple of years of a tool & die apprentisp back during the RVN War. Sawed, cut, milled turned, drilled, tapped, surface ground all sort of metals. Working with metal is more predictable then doing the same procedure with & on wood.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I was sharing my experience, think you need go back and read everything I posted. Problem I experience was I had ordered a Cue it was to be Ambonia Burl, it was stableized wood the gentleman was trying to work with. It kept blowing up on him, it would not turn properly. He said I give up on using the Amboina as you want. I said I get it. We moved on.
You experience had nothing to do with snake wood and burl woods cracking after a cue was made .
Stabilized burl are not prone to cracking after the cue is made .
Snake woods are prone to cracking after cue is made even.
Makers do not inject resin on snakewood .
Makers do not inject resin on EXOTIC woods as a rule .
Soft and pitty woods like burls are commonly stabilized.
One would be foolish not to get burl wood stabilized these days .

Read the rule section.

" Although anyone can participate in the thread’s discussions and ask questions, it should primarily be the experienced cuemakers who provide the answers. It might be appropriate for non-cuemakers to give some input on occasions. But that should be the exception instead of the norm."

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snakewood is very unpredictable. I only use it in small pieces. I don’t want a cue coming back years later that has cracked. Not worth the trouble.
I’m finishing one right now. The buttsleeve has a 2” long piece of snakewood. I originally built this cue in 2002 and am just now finishing it. At some point a crack developed, not entirely through the piece. This is for a very good friend of mine, he understands about the possibility of cracking, he actually has a cue from a well known maker that has a cracked buttsleeve, it wasn’t cracked when he bought it, it happened a few months later, it was by no means a new cue.
Anyway I decided to inlay a window over the crack, totally enveloped what could be seen of it. Time will tell if this works out.
It’s beautiful but just unpredictable.