Besides Steve Mizerak, did any other us pool pros try snooker?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would’ve been on a 5x10?
Jose also beat Jimmy Wych, a step up from Frank in snooker circles, in Florida also.
But Jose didn’t do very well in Toronto on 6x12s with the flat edge rubber....
...even lost badly playing 9-ball on them....beat everybody on a 9-foot giving weight.

Efren beat Kirk Stevens, a one time #4 ranked at world snooker, on a 5x10 in LA.

I think, more than the size, it might be the rubber is the greatest difference...
...flat edge as opposed to knife edge.
Peter Kippe, one of the guys who beat Jose in Toronto, couldn’t seem to take a win on
American 5x10 snooker tables....but he played James Christopher in Arizona ( Peter had
Lost to many worse players)...he beat James badly....turned out the table had Canuck
rubber on it.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of a difference in rubber. Might the balls have been smaller also? Aren't professional Snooker balls 2 1/16, not 2 1/8?

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read once where Allen Hopkins named Bud Ogburn one of the best Snooker Players in the US. Wonder what would have happened if he had made the switch. Great Player in his day.

bstroud

Deceased
It’s ovious that most of the posters on this thread have no clue what the differences are between American Snooker and True International Snooker.

What a shame!

International Snooker is an Elegant and Graceful game with Serous money
involved. It does not make Pool simple. It is just a different game.

That is not to say that Pay Ball on a 5x10 is not a great game.

Bill S.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how true it is, but an old guy who used to work on the tables in the pool hall where I worked as a kid, said he saw Willie Mosconi run a 147 on the main snooker table in our room. Supposedly, Willie had came through the town, doing his exhibitions, a couple decades before, and somehow wound up on the snooker table.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting! I wasn't aware of a difference in rubber. Might the balls have been smaller also? Aren't professional Snooker balls 2 1/16, not 2 1/8?

This (if the picture works), hopefully shows a snooker pocket quite well:

Derby-open-pocktes-up-corner-temp-perfect-fit.jpg

Whereas a pool pocket, has a different cut:

main-qimg-8bb8512f9a5bd7cbe1cdd0c5963c39b1.webp

Also, the rubber is cut in a different way:

lough-riley-new-rubber-angle-610x457.jpg

Pool cushion:

championship-tour-edition-cushion-rubber-k66-profile-43-set-of-6.jpg

Also, you are correct in saying snooker balls (not 'American snooker') are 2 1/16.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how true it is, but an old guy who used to work on the tables in the pool hall where I worked as a kid, said he saw Willie Mosconi run a 147 on the main snooker table in our room. Supposedly, Willie had came through the town, doing his exhibitions, a couple decades before, and somehow wound up on the snooker table.

The wiki page is quite interesting on maximums:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_break

Its pretty unlikely back then the story is true...but not impossible, probably an urban legend that may never be proven...

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pool cushion:

Also, you are correct in saying snooker balls (not 'American snooker') are 2 1/16.

Thanks, I know what Snooker pockets look like, I've played quite a bit of Snooker on a 5 x 10 but using American Snooker rules until I was taught the International rules by a visitor from Montreal. Again, thanks for the pictures. I had no idea that there was that much difference in the cushions.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s ovious that most of the posters on this thread have no clue what the differences are between American Snooker and True International Snooker.

What a shame!

International Snooker is an Elegant and Graceful game with Serous money
involved. It does not make Pool simple. It is just a different game.

That is not to say that Pay Ball on a 5x10 is not a great game.

Bill S.

You're right Bill. I was eventually taught International rules by a guy visiting locally who was doing some sub-contracting for IBM.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The wiki page is quite interesting on maximums:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_break

Its pretty unlikely back then the story is true...but not impossible, probably an urban legend that may never be proven...

Willie did an exhibition in Toronto (before my time) for Brunswick, he wasn't informed
that the room only had 6x12 Anniversary snooker tables...a mentor of mine who was
city snooker champion nursed him through the exhibition and helped him with his
trick shots....Willie, as great as he was, didn't have a 50 run in him, never mind a
147....my mentor gave him a snooker cue to play with.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Pool cushion:

As a side note, notice how the pockets are cut on that Gold Crown table, with perfectly straight and parallel pocket openings (I hope that makes sense). That is the way almost all tables had their pocket angles set at one time but now I see all kinds of weird configurations on the corner pocket openings.

paolo2144

Registered
All cue sports are tough in there own way and yes pool does require a bit of a different skill set from snooker.

What i would say is that if you took the likes of Judd Trump,Ronnie O'Sullivan, Mark Selby and some other leading snooker players and they trained exclusively at 9 ball pool for 12-18 months they would fare a bit better in the pool circuit than top pool players like Shane, Earl etc who attempted the same at snooker.

Don't get me wrong i am not saying that any of the snooker players would be regularly winning tournaments but in my view they would give their opponents a tougher time than the other way round.

Also the likes of Allison & Kelly Fisher & Karen Corr came over and really dominated Ladies 9 ball pool and in a fairly quick time period. There is no way i could see likes of Jeanette , Ewa, Jean B etc doing the same at ladies snooker, certainly it would take them much longer to seriously threaten.

That is not me knocking 9 ball pool which is a great game, but it is just that to be successful at snooker your accuracy and aiming when potting has to be so true all the time and it would take major changes in the cue action of some top pro pool players in order to adapt i believe.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
W. Mosconi, king of the bucket pockets
Was certainly able to run 15 reds and 15 blacks
And then clear the 6 colors

Making a 147 in tournament competition
On a 6x12, sounds like an old legend

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a side note, notice how the pockets are cut on that Gold Crown table, with perfectly straight and parallel pocket openings (I hope that makes sense). That is the way almost all tables had their pocket angles set at one time but now I see all kinds of weird configurations on the corner pocket openings.
Tournament snooker tables have steel backing plates on the rails. Makes them play super consistent. http://www.snookermania.co.uk/steel-block-cushions.html

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived as a kid for a few years in a small Iowa town with two taverns. The only one I was allowed in was one with two snooker tables and a three cushion billiard table.

The other tavern had a bar box but I never played on it because I wasn't allowed inside.

I was not a good player but I beat some better pool players unaccustomed to snooker. You can rob guys all day long who are used to firing in balls on a bar box.

It's a different game.

paolo2144

Registered
Certainly when it comes to long potting and potting shots that are near side cushion (rails) you need to be incredibly accurate in Snooker compared to 9 ball pool. This is the reason the likes of Earl & Shane struggle when trying Chinese 8 ball as you need to be so much more pin point in accuracy and cannot cheat pockets.

Don't get me wrong if Shane and Earl had devoted their time to playing Chinese 8 ball i think they could do pretty well but they would need to put in months if not years of practice.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading stephen hendry’s book
Me and the table was pretty eye opening.

For having a cue stick and round balls
On a cloth covered table with six pockets
The two sports could not be more different.

A 147 is only 36 balls
And you know exactly where 20 of them will be.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading stephen hendry’s book
Me and the table was pretty eye opening.

For having a cue stick and round balls
On a cloth covered table with six pockets
The two sports could not be more different.

A 147 is only 36 balls
And you know exactly where 20 of them will be.

80% of the top 128 snooker player’s have never made a 147 in a ranked tournament. No female has ever made one in a ranked woman’s world tournament.

Odds are There could be one 147 in a few thousand frames at next month’s World Championship.