Breakrak looking for input

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
If anyone owns one of these I would like your feedback. I may be interested in one of these if the price were right. Here is the website: http://www.breakrak.com/ They are a bit spendy so I would like to hear from someone who owns one before taking the plunge.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Bigkahuna said:
If anyone owns one of these I would like your feedback. I may be interested in one of these if the price were right. Here is the website: http://www.breakrak.com/ They are a bit spendy so I would like to hear from someone who owns one before taking the plunge.

i've been wondering on this too but the price is keeping me away for the moment.

just a 0.2c question. If i would buy a old use poolset, and glue the balls together to form a rack of 9ball.. would i get the same result as on a nonglued rack? it would cost me alot cheaper, but not sure if physically it would give the same feedback.

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
Solartje said:
i've been wondering on this too but the price is keeping me away for the moment.

just a 0.2c question. If i would buy a old use poolset, and glue the balls together to form a rack of 9ball.. would i get the same result as on a nonglued rack? it would cost me alot cheaper, but not sure if physically it would give the same feedback.

I am sure the designers struggled with that very question. I have thought to try and make one but after the thought of trial and error.............

Only ERO's

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search for it....there was a recent thread or two. Much more information there.

Well worth the money....I have one and love it.

thomba02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one of my best buds has one...he said it really does improve his break. he is a pro-caliber player.

i then asked him if i can buy it from him and he refused. so i might just end up borrowing it from time to time.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solartje said:

No, the cue ball would bounce back almost like you hit it into a rail if all 9 balls acted as a single mass.

Somehow the breakrak makes the effective mass of the rak a little more than the weight of 1 ball. When balls are touching in a real rak, the effective mass is a little more than the weight of the front ball. I'm not sure by how much, but it often causes the CB to bounce backwards a couple of feet before spinning forwards.

One way to simulate the results of breakrak may just be to add some putty or a small weight to a single ball and to attach that ball to a spring / rope system to stop it flying off the table.

Colin

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think that thing is one of the best pool inventions ever. I don't personally own one because I think it's a little pricey. Meaning, for the price, I'd rather rack my own. Once it comes down a little....it'll be in my basement.

Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All signs point to the search page!

Or, save a bit of time and buy one. There is no equal.

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
Thank you

Colin Colenso said:
No, the cue ball would bounce back almost like you hit it into a rail if all 9 balls acted as a single mass.

Somehow the breakrak makes the effective mass of the rak a little more than the weight of 1 ball. When balls are touching in a real rak, the effective mass is a little more than the weight of the front ball. I'm not sure by how much, but it often causes the CB to bounce backwards a couple of feet before spinning forwards.

One way to simulate the results of breakrak may just be to add some putty or a small weight to a single ball and to attach that ball to a spring / rope system to stop it flying off the table.

Colin

Colin,

Thank you for the input. They do have some sort of shock absorber behind the head ball to effect the mass. There seem to have been a few evolutions to this product. I see some of the photos show o-rings as the shock absorber and others something yellow. Yes the mass of nine balls would have the cue coming back at you almost as hard as you hit it. :yikes: I would own one today if it weren't so pricey.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Folks, Charley Bond here... the BreakRAK is expensive, because the parts & machining cost so much. I have sold about 1200+ of these BreakRAKs & no one sends it back. I wish the price could go down, but it won't. I sell BreakRAKs every week & I don't advertise. Some pros use this product & lots of Pool Schools use it too.

Most products that cost $5 retail, actually cost about $1 to manufacture. The BreakRAK costs about $3.25/$5, so distributors aren't a possibility. I'm sorry about the costs, but I can't do anything about the costs. If you were to pay someone to rack balls every saturday for $5 an hour, in a year you will have spent $260 (more than a BreakRAK). If you practice every day, you will spend $1820. This reasoning makes the BreakRAK cheap.

Good luck to you guys & gals...

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I've had a Breakrak for about 2-2.5 years and love it! I use it when I'm teaching others, find myself "slacking" off on my break and it works great!

Not only is it easy and quick to set up, but gives you a realistic cue ball reaction and you're able to focus on what the cue ball does and there's no other balls interfering with your visual focus. You don't ever have to rerack the balls, just set it up and start breaking!

As Charlie (ceebee) mentioned, the price is very minimal compared to what it would cost to pay someone to rack!

Personally, I think everyone should spend some time with a Breakrak... top notch product in the development/instruction area of this dynamic sport!

Zim

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I played with it for about an hour at the 2006 SBE and IMMEDIATELY figured out how to squat the cueball. You get instant feedback without being distracted. It's a GREAT tool.

I bought one, loaned it to some local pros and never got it back :)

I highly, highly, highly reccomend this tool as one of the absolute best there is for the purpose. And no, for once, I am not selling them or have anything to do with them on a business level (yet).

If you can't afford one then find a few folks and go in together. You will really appreciate the improvement in your break.

deadstroke7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ceebee said:
I have sold about 1200+ of these BreakRAKs & no one sends it back....

And I never will (unless I break it and need it repaired).

Absolutely the greatest thing for my break EVER!:thumbup:

In 10 minutes, I can get more practice and repetition in than I could in several HOURS of racking my own.:D Then take into account the ability to rack the balls tight every time, fish them out of the pockets, put them in the rack, yada, yada, yada.:p

Honestly, some pool stuff hyping improvement isn't worth the $$. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE THINGS!!

VERY satisfied Customer 4 LIFE.

ME

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
thomba02 said:
one of my best buds has one...he said it really does improve his break. he is a pro-caliber player.

i then asked him if i can buy it from him and he refused. so i might just end up borrowing it from time to time.

Joe Tucker has one and highly recommends it. He demonstrates it's use on his 9 Ball Racking Secrets DVD.

Flex

Joe T

Flex said:
Joe Tucker has one and highly recommends it. He demonstrates it's use on his 9 Ball Racking Secrets DVD.

Flex

And will continue to recommend it! I would bet I practiced my break as much as any pool player, 100's at a time by myself and the breakrak not only worked better than anything I ever did, it did it quicker. If you play run out pool or think you could if you had a better break you're wasting time & money not getting one.

Charley thanks for inventing it & not inventing before I did all that racking for myself , cuz I never would have figured out what all those little spaces in the rack cause using a breakrak!

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ceebee said:
Hi Folks, Charley Bond here... the BreakRAK is expensive, because the parts & machining cost so much. I have sold about 1200+ of these BreakRAKs & no one sends it back. I wish the price could go down, but it won't. I sell BreakRAKs every week & I don't advertise. Some pros use this product & lots of Pool Schools use it too.

Most products that cost $5 retail, actually cost about $1 to manufacture. The BreakRAK costs about $3.25/$5, so distributors aren't a possibility. I'm sorry about the costs, but I can't do anything about the costs. If you were to pay someone to rack balls every saturday for $5 an hour, in a year you will have spent $260 (more than a BreakRAK). If you practice every day, you will spend $1820. This reasoning makes the BreakRAK cheap.

Good luck to you guys & gals...
Hi Charlie,
I realize not being a mass produced item then it can't be profitable at low prices. Not much you can do about that. It is valuable for anyone who spends a fair bit of time practising their break though.

Have you thought of making a simpler version. Just use a same sized CB that is 5 or 10% heavier. Possibly the connectors added to that ball would give it about the correct weight. :confused:

If it were just 1 ball and the spring system, I'd imagine the cost would go down.

Just a thought,
Colin

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
During the IPT days, Glenn Atwell brought one over to our house and we attached it to our table. We spent a couple hours practicing breaks and he noticed that I always went to the left of the 1 ball with my break. He told me to cue with right english and so I do now and notice a big improvement on controlling the cueball.

I know, you're going to ask why didn't I just aim more to the right? I tried that too, but for some reason, it still went cockeyed. If I hadn't been practicing for such a dedicated amount of time to the break with a consistent rack every time, I would probably not have picked up on all my inconsistencies. I recommend it wholeheartedly!

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
questions

It seems the Breakrak is designed for nine ball. If I am practicing with this device for the best nine ball break would there be an adjustment as a player to breaking 8 or 10 ball? I guess my question stems from the difference in mass from a 9,10 and 8 ball rack.

I do break from the second ball back in 8 ball and Joe Tucker you have a great product there with, "Racking Secrets". The night before I left for the APA Vegas Nationals I made the 8 on the break three out of six racks. So, can this be used to practice the second ball break?

In looking on the website there are three different photos of the Breakrak. Are these different models or just how the Breakrak has evolved?

What is the price break AZBers get on this?

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Breaking with the 2nd ball...
funny you should ask this, because about 4 months ago I had a student that wanted to practice contacting the 2nd ball. So I adjusted the "bunjee" cords to that the spot ball now became the 2nd ball and it does work. Place a temporary ball on the spot as well as another 2nd ball, these two balls are used to align the Breakrak properly. Once Breakrak's in place and "bunjees" are adjusted properly, then remove the 2 object balls and start your practice.

One thing to remember about the Breakrak, it's designed to assist you in learning how to break and leave the cue ball in the center of the table. You obviously cant cross the line created by the bunjee cords. So, breaking from the 2nd ball, you have to have a good stroke for practice or you may be slamming the cue ball into the bunjee cords.

Best of luck!
(just buy one)
Zim