House cues @ Jillians in San Franfrisco

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I'm going to San Francisco next week and will be taking a lesson at Jillians. Before you start with the "you should go to XYZ instead", I'm going to cut you off and say that this is most convenient for everyone involved.

I don't want to put my cue in my suitcase because it has great sentimental value to me and with my luck, it would not make it across the country.

So my question is, are the house cues at Jillians decent (straight with decent tips) or should I bring my old Players cue with me? I'm not saying that my stick is much better but at least I know what I would have to work with.

Thanks
-matthew

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
You should skip Jillians and go to Family Billiards on Geary St. Jillians is a shit hole chain pub poolhall.

Just saying....

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing for fun? If so, bring chalk, a tip shaper/scuffer, and fine-grit sandpaper (or a brillo pad - it's a house cue after all).

I've yet to see a chain pool room like Jillians where I can't fashion a passable cue with a tip shaper and sandpaper.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should skip Jillians and go to Family Billiards on Geary St. Jillians is a shit hole chain pub poolhall.

Just saying....

I second the recommendation for Family over Jillians. Honestly I didn't even know that Jillians was still there.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Personally I would rather inconvenience the entire world and go to Family Billiards before I would go to Jillians for the sake of convenience. San Francisco isn't terribly large. You can get from one side to the other in a matter of minutes. I don't understand how much of an inconvenience it could be when it only takes 12 minutes to get to Family Billiards from Jillians. They're a little over 2 miles apart.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about if you ask the instructor if he can bring along an extra cue for you to use during the lesson? Maybe he even has one like yours. I don't think I know a single pool player that doesn't have at least 3 cues at their disposal.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I have taken your advice to heart. We're going to play here instead.

iusedtoberich: My major problem areas right now revolve around mechanics so I could probably get away with using a broomstick. :)

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Personally I would rather inconvenience the entire world and go to Family Billiards before I would go to Jillians for the sake of convenience. San Francisco isn't terribly large. You can get from one side to the other in a matter of minutes. I don't understand how much of an inconvenience it could be when it only takes 12 minutes to get to Family Billiards from Jillians. They're a little over 2 miles apart.

All he has to do is take the 36 line westbound and get off at Masonic and walk there. All of maybe 20 minutes :thumbup:

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Cues

We have 'rental' cues. Nice cues, well kept, with nice layered tips that we keep fresh and rent or loan out for situations like these. It's hard to imagine that a room like Jillians doesn't. Or, am I giving them too much credit? FWIW, I think you made a good choice going to 'Family Billiards", or the place you found. Watch out for Bernado Chavez if you go there :)

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We have 'rental' cues. Nice cues, well kept, with nice layered tips that we keep fresh and rent or loan out for situations like these. It's hard to imagine that a room like Jillians doesn't. Or, am I giving them too much credit? FWIW, I think you made a good choice going to 'Family Billiards", or the place you found. Watch out for Bernado Chavez if you go there :)
Jillian's is in the part of San Francisco where parking is $4/hour and sodas out of the hotel vending machines are $3 each. If you accept a refill on your Jillian's pink lemonade in the restaurant, that will be another $5 on your bill. The Jillian's in SF doesn't seem to be as much about pool as other Jillian's locations, such as Seattle (if that one's still there). google...google...google ... From their website, it's not clear that the Seattle location still has pool tables.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's funny, the pool rooms in China, at least the good ones, generally have two-piece house cues with pro tapers and well-maintained tips. It's not hard to find a cue that plays decently enough to run out comfortably with.

House cues in the USA should be at that standard or better. Should be a daily chore to maintain the cues just like cleaning the tables and balls.

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every week or two I stop by the bar and shape the tips and burnish them. Sometimes we stop up to shoot for a bit and just leave the case at home so it's nice to have a cent cue

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny, the pool rooms in China, at least the good ones, generally have two-piece house cues with pro tapers and well-maintained tips. It's not hard to find a cue that plays decently enough to run out comfortably with.

House cues in the USA should be at that standard or better. Should be a daily chore to maintain the cues just like cleaning the tables and balls.

Good for them - let's all move to f@#king China

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Good for them - let's all move to f@#king China

Upset? The point was and is that there is no reason why the equipment in an average Chinese pool room should be better than in the pool rooms in the USA or any western nation.

In other words, this thread shouldn't exist.

Last edited: