New ball set

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me pick a new set.

I have a lightly used 20 year old set of Centennials that I take to the pool room. I’m thinking of my Christmas present to myself.

Cyclop Hyperion. Colors a bit goofy but play nice
Aramith Tournament. Not sure which color. Is the new Durimith better
Predator Arcos2. I’ll have to wait on those. Highest percentage of phenolic resin. Is that better than the Durimith?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me pick a new set.

I have a lightly used 20 year old set of Centennials that I take to the pool room. I’m thinking of my Christmas present to myself.

Predator Arcos2. I’ll have to wait on those. Highest percentage of phenolic resin. Is that better than the Durimith?
A fresh new set of Centennials. Done. Can't improve on perfection.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend either the centennials or the Aramith tournament standard colors. I have virtually new sets of both which I use on new clean cloth. I can confirm that the tournament balls have maintained a very noticeable higher luster / shine just as they looked when they were brand new out of the box, than have the centennial set, despite both sets going in to a ball polishing machine after every usage.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Help me pick a new set.

I think the Cyclop Hyperion balls look great but I don’t think they play nice.

My practice set is Aramith Premiums so my choice of the above would be the Aramith Tournament set. I haven’t any experience with the Predator ArcosII. They look great! Love the logo balls and the darts.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the centennial balls,but i never compared
see balls buy balls

why not stand pat,keep what you have unless they are breaking down

call me and buy a nice new cue

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Help me pick a new set.

What's wrong with the old set? I have a set that is beat to hell, looks like hell, is chipped, but rolls fine. No reason to replace.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's wrong with the old set? I have a set that is beat to hell, looks like hell, is chipped, but rolls fine. No reason to replace.

Can’t speak for jtom but guessing nothing is wrong with his Centennials. He just wants another set.

I have at least a dozen sets all bought because I thought they were a bit different. The cue ball collecting thread is amazing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the original Cyclop set from 5 or 6 years ago and they blow away Super Aramith Pro, IMO. They stay clean like nobody's business.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

I just ordered the Hyperion as my gift to me, I think they look cool, hope the play as well as my Aramiths and Centennials. My vote try something new.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ordered the Hyperion as my gift to me, I think they look cool, hope the play as well as my Aramiths and Centennials. My vote try something new.

I also had a set of Aramith Pros that I sent along along with the table I sold. I personally couldn’t tell the difference in play between the two. My Centennials have a few minor marks on them. Sometimes I like to try out something new. I’m leaning towards the Hyperion

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also had a set of Aramith Pros that I sent along along with the table I sold. I personally couldn’t tell the difference in play between the two. My Centennials have a few minor marks on them. Sometimes I like to try out something new. I’m leaning towards the Hyperion

If you can find a new set of the old style cyclop balls, you will save some cash and get a set of balls just as good as the hyperion set.

I've played the hyperion and they aren't any different (performance wise) as than the sets being retired.

They old set stay clean just as long as hyperion. The old cyclop balls weigh just as much too.

They claim the tolerance is tighter on hyperion but, it's not.

Only difference in old cyclop and hyperion is looks and IMO, I like the looks of the older sets better.

Jeff

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are you cleaning them?

They old set stay clean just as long as hyperion. The old cyclop balls weigh just as much too.

They claim the tolerance is tighter on hyperion but, it's not.

Jeff

I cant keep either of my sets clean for more then one or two practice secession's, I take them two a few different pool halls that are good places with good equipment.

Are you doing something to yours to keep them from picking up chalk, dirt, etc.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 2nd the new Centennials. Not saying they are the best. I just like them the best :)

Trent

Hey Trent,

I like the cents myself. I'm pretty sure most do but, as you said, the cents aren't the best set.

I think, like most 14.1 players that the cyclop balls stay cleaner FFAAARRRR longer than any set arimath has made to date.

A friend ask me just the other day about what balls he should buy. I ask him which set he liked. He said he prefers the look of cents. I then said, "buy the cents".

He knows I normally play with cyclop balls, eventhough I own several sets of arimath balls. So, he ask me why I told him to buy cents.

I told him that if a person was able to clean the balls often, it didn't matter which set they used since "most" modern ball quality is roughly the same. He then ask, "well, if thats true why do you almost always use cyclop balls over the rest"???

I was trying to be nice but, he just wouldn't stop asking so, I told him that when he plays 14.1, his runs are not so high that he has to worry about balls getting dirty before he misses and it wouldn't effect his breaks/spread.

He is a great 9 ball player but, when playing 14.1, he does good to get into the third rack on his best days. So, he is very unlikely to have issues from the balls not spreading well on his break sbots as long as he doesn't mind stopping to clean the cents ever so often to keep the spreading well.

When I play at his place, I carry my cyclop balls with me.

Nothing sucks worse than being on the verge of hitting a personal best in 14.1 and hit the break shot well but, have most of the rack sit there like they were glued together....eventhough, you know you hit the rack good.

Looks=most all arimath balls.

Performance = cyclop balls by far.

Not sure about the predator balls yet. Not had a chance to use them.

BTW, most all of the stronger 14.1 players I've ask, told me the same thing. They love the looks of arimath, especially the cents but, they don't like using them in 14.1 unless they have to.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant keep either of my sets clean for more then one or two practice secession's, I take them two a few different pool halls that are good places with good equipment.

Are you doing something to yours to keep them from picking up chalk, dirt, etc.

I use a very small amount of arimath ball cleaner every day. When I say a very small amount, I'm talking extremely small.

After they have a VERY SMALL amount of polish/cleaner, I let them dry for roughly 24 hours or more depending on humidity levels.

Then I put them in a diamond ball polisher for about 30 seconds.

Then, I changed the wheel out for a cleaner one and spin the balls again for about 10 seconds.

Thats it. There done.

BTW, most people use WWWAAAYYY to much cleaner/polish on their balls. It's not good for the balls or the cloth. Plus, make the balls and table play unnaturally.

Like anything else, there is a sweet spot as for the amount of cleaner /polish used on the balls.

Also, I use a very clean chalk. That alone will go a long ways to belp keep balls and cloth clean.

I've been using Taom for a long time. It helps keep the balls and especially the cloth and rails.very clean.

Jeff

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, I alternate between two set of cyclop balls. While one set is drying for 24 hours, I'm playing with the other set. Then, at the end of the day, I get that set ready for the next day.

Works like a charm.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Hello JTom

Centennial's are of course the standard and you can never go wrong getting another set of those

With that said I would vote for Duramith tournament balls if you are simply looking to change it up for variety's sake

Both of these are the top sets made by the folks in Belgium who wrote the book on billiard balls and are always going to be the better choice compared to what comes from China

Imo

Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
Tom,

I would suggest the Cyclop in the traditional colors. They play great.

I have a set and when I take it to the Pool room no one complains.

With my other sets there is always some comment.

Bill Stroud