Would YOU give back to pool and how?

Would you try and help pro pool or pool in general if you could?

• yes

Votes: 53 91.4%
  • no

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are people I have met along the way that I would hook up if I won the lottery, but I wouldn't give a nickel to support pro pool. If I hosted a $2M added tournament where all the players won a huge chunk of change, most of the players would find themselves exactly where they are right now.

I would hook JCIN up with a new pimp pad in Vegas to go with his new Benz I buy for him. Oh yeah, and a shit load of hookers too.

Marge and Shannon (GSBT) would get a sweet new ride so they could cruise their tour in style.

Lenny would get hooked up with the finest pu$$y in Arizona.

Disco would get free laser hair removal.

Muttley would get his college paid for and maybe a room (right next to mine) in my new mansion.

I might even go off for a few thousand gambling some of the top players just for fun. Maybe I am just bitter, but in no way do I feel like I owe anything to pool or pool players. Only the ones who have made my life richer with their friendship would get a piece of the lotto money.

***When I hit the lotto, feel free to hold me to all of the above statements***

I forgot to mention one other person I would hook up.

Beav would get one of those red flashy things from Men in Black so he could forget some of the horrible women...er, things he has done in the past. And all the booze he could drink!

***If I left of any friends (which I'm sure I have), please reply to this thread with what you would like me to buy for you.***

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So my question to all you pool lovers is; if you won the lottery or inherited a ton of money would you give back to this game we love and how would you go about doing it?
If I were to come into a ton of money, I have grand plans like every one else. I would open a pool room and run it the way I would like a pool room to run. I would support the regional tours and run in house tournaments. I would also support a house pro.

Most of us will never win the lottery or inherit a ton of money but that doesn't mean we can not support the game of pool. We can attend and support as many local, regional and pro tournaments as we can either as players or spectators. When we visit those tournaments, we can eat and drink a little to help the host room. If we make tournaments as profitable as possible for the promoters and room owners, they will be more inclined to hold these events. They will also be more inclined to add money to the prize fund which will in turn draw better players. This will all lead to pool getting more attention which is a good thing for all of us.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I would invest into the players by making them aware of basic business, marketing and financial practices. There are too many stories about players getting screwed on deals because they don't read up on who they do business with or they don't follow up on details about their agreements.

Many pool players are from different cultures and each has a different way of doing things, that is a problem. It becomes obvious on pool tournaments. They need a way to understand how money moves through tournaments and how much money is needed to advertise big events. Either way it is a lot of reading.

As an assignment they should be given the task to create, promote and finance their own pool tournament, event and league. Each will introduce basic business challenges. I have a feeling most of them would get stuck on the budgeting and communicating to others what needs to be done and how it should be done. The purpose of the exercise is to show them how and why they can be cheated.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Dreaming

This is based upon the premise that I won 300 million in the lottery, half would go for taxes unless I could defer it, and most of what is left would be invested, earning approximately 10-12% interest per year.

1) First and foremost, I would pay to fly 12-15 people off of here to Wichita (it is in the middle of the country) and put them up at the Airport Hilton (Is the Hilton okay for Jay and Billy?...lol), rent a conference room for 5 days. These 15 individuals and myself would establish a National Organization for Pool in the USA.

We would develop a business plan for the promotion of the sport in our country. The business plan would cover many things, like National standards, youth programs, establishing a pro tour, coordinating with the many regional tours already functioning, promotional backing, etc..

We would elect officers for the organization, and I would have my brother legalize the organization. Each member would be assigned the responsibility of certain tasks to accomplish in our business plan, with it all being coordinated. Goals would be established 5, 10, 15, and 20 year goals, with timelines set for each goal we had. Progress would be monitered ongoing, with a committee review each 6 months.

We would establish our own website to communicate with each other (private) and with the public.

2) I would back the establishing of 3-4 Family Game Rooms in Wichita in different parts of the city primarily for adults and kids under 21. No alcohol, family oriented environment. (Greg Stevens had his Family Game Room here for many many years - We had some kids grow up there and become very good players, like Donnie Brown (OKC) and Jeremy Vulgamore (ICT)). Youth leagues would be established, and would have inner-city competition between the Game Rooms.

I would back an annual youth tournament in our city with nice prizes going to the winners, like $5,000 scholarship towards college, saving bonds, cues, cases, shirts, etc..

3) I would establish 4 major tournaments a year in Wichita with 10-20 thousand added, plus having calcuttas with them. This is mostly for semi-pros. This would draw lots of players from several states around.
(If you build it, they will come) - I would probably rotate the format of the tournament - between 8,9, and 10 ball - and I would also have a 1 pocket tournament along with the big tournament. The big tournament would be on bar boxes, with probably Evelyn and Danny Dysert running them, in fact, if they could included in their Midwest 9 ball tour, so much, the better, although at least 1 would be 8 ball and 1 would be 10 ball.

4) I would establish the Air Capital Tournament for pros with 100,000 added, calcuttas. This would be an annual event. A chance for the people of Wichita to see and interact with the pros. This would draw a lot of people to Wichita. (If you build it, they will come). Played on big tables.
I would also have a 1 pocket tournament besides the big tournament.

All of the tournaments I listed above would have a goal to try to become sponsored and self-supporting to defer costs. I would establish my own committee here in Wichita to see that 2,3, and 4 were set up right with a plan and coordination, and we would coordinate with the organization established in #1.

All of these tournaments would draw people to Wichita and be good for tourism here.

I don't want to list anything more as I feel this is enough and would establish some good tournaments for different levels, be good for city of Wichita and its people and players here. Believe me, I know enough people here, players and such, businessmen and women, room owners, that I could make this fly.

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
There are people I have met along the way that I would hook up if I won the lottery, but I wouldn't give a nickel to support pro pool. If I hosted a $2M added tournament where all the players won a huge chunk of change, most of the players would find themselves exactly where they are right now.

I would hook JCIN up with a new pimp pad in Vegas to go with his new Benz I buy for him. Oh yeah, and a shit load of hookers too.

Marge and Shannon (GSBT) would get a sweet new ride so they could cruise their tour in style.

Lenny would get hooked up with the finest pu$$y in Arizona.

Disco would get free laser hair removal.

Muttley would get his college paid for and maybe a room (right next to mine) in my new mansion.

I might even go off for a few thousand gambling some of the top players just for fun. Maybe I am just bitter, but in no way do I feel like I owe anything to pool or pool players. Only the ones who have made my life richer with their friendship would get a piece of the lotto money.

***When I hit the lotto, feel free to hold me to all of the above statements***

I'm with easy on this one. I have several friends that would get some swag (Easy, you get a room in the mansion, but maybe not right next to mine. I know how you are when you're drunk, lol). Josh "Dagwoodz" would get a nice golf trip around the country, and EVERYBODY from Athens would get an all expense paid trip to Vegas for a week. There would be plenty of others. The one thing I would do for the betterment of pool in general: FIND SOME WAY TO DESTROY THE APA. IT IS THE WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO POOL. Other than that, E is right. Give every player in the country 500,000 and in a year 99% would be broke again and not doing anything meaningful for the game...

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some real good comments and ideas

Thanks to all that responded. There are some pretty good thoughts here.

I will try to make up my 'wish' list soon.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My fantasy? Set up my "honorary nephew" so he could persue his dream of becoming a pro...

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to mention one other person I would hook up.

Beav would get one of those red flashy things from Men in Black so he could forget some of the horrible women...er, things he has done in the past. And all the booze he could drink!

***If I left of any friends (which I'm sure I have), please reply to this thread with what you would like me to buy for you.***

imo the tournament wouldn't be so much for the people playing in it. it would motivate some people to get back into playing and show other aspiring players how things are done when top players "really" want to win.