High End Custom Cue Question

clerks37

Pimp Master
Silver Member
For those of you that have had a high end pool cue custom built (let's say $4000 or more)..... Do you shoot with the cue, or did you put away and keep it more as artwork?

I'm just curious of people's opinion on this.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
For those of you that have had a high end pool cue custom built (let's say $4000 or more)..... Do you shoot with the cue, or did you put away and keep it more as artwork?

Played with them

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've had two custom Ginas made and play with both. I don't believe I'd buy a cue so expensive I wouldn't play with it.

Lou Figueroa
what fun is THAT

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I own the cue, then it's definitely going to get played.
That's what pool cues are for and I'd never buy or own any cue just to admire it.
In fact, I spent more than that for a cue in my collection and I played with that cue today.
When I own a cue, rest assured that cue will get played or why else own it.

The sole exception is my Runde Schon......it was the custom build that drove Mr. Runde bonkers.
I could never part with that cue as there's just too much history to the cue and sentimental value.
Other than that, the price of the cue will never keep me from playing with it.

Matt B.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
play

i have had 3 ginas, 1 phillippi, 1 black boar and a host of others. played with them all before getting rid of them...............mike

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Buying a cue just to put in a safe, never to be used is just pointless beyond belief, almost as pointless as grown men collecting toys "mint in box". The whole point of cues are that they are functional art. If they are not functional or not used for the function it was made it is just a stick. Paying 4k+ for a stick to put in a metal box, never to be seen by anyone other than the owner and maybe a few friends is just silly. All of the cuemakers hard work in making the cue play well goes completely to waste. To me that's a damned shame. There are lots of people that could slap together an inlaid stick, but to make the inlays perfect AND a cue that will stand up to use and play well is a different matter.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
id play with them but i like the way lesser priced cues i own play better.....:eek:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Buying a cue just to put in a safe, never to be used is just pointless beyond belief, almost as pointless as grown men collecting toys "mint in box". The whole point of cues are that they are functional art. If they are not functional or not used for the function it was made it is just a stick. Paying 4k+ for a stick to put in a metal box, never to be seen by anyone other than the owner and maybe a few friends is just silly. All of the cuemakers hard work in making the cue play well goes completely to waste. To me that's a damned shame. There are lots of people that could slap together an inlaid stick, but to make the inlays perfect AND a cue that will stand up to use and play well is a different matter.

And yet we have many members here that do just this, lock them away. I liken collectors to stakehorses, most can't play but love the game & collecting cues & stakehorsing are their way to feel like they are a part of the game. At least the stakehorse puts his $ in, the cue collectors deprive the game of cues that should be in it. Perfect example of having more dollars than SENSE. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Use it at a friends home or at home, won't see the hall or a bar. I did have a identical shaft made to use on a cue I can take to a bar.

dom_poppa

Banned
And yet we have many members here that do just this, lock them away. I liken collectors to stakehorses, most can't play but love the game & collecting cues & stakehorsing are their way to feel like they are a part of the game. At least the stakehorse puts his $ in, the cue collectors deprive the game of cues that should be in it. Perfect example of having more dollars than SENSE. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Beautifully said.

There are a lot of those here.