Why do I still like the Moori tip even though they are apparently junk??

thubosky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On two seperate days of shooting I have always put one of my buddies schon shafts on my schon and always loved how it felt and hit. This happened with two different shafts but both had moori mediums on them.

I believe he got them installed like 6 months to 1 year ago. So they arent the old mooris or anything. It seems like they shoot so good and then mushroom and glaze. Thats why he stopped using those shafts.

The tip on the one I used was scuffed just a little and had a little mushroom, but it didn't even matter I started running racks like crazy. The moori is always the constant here. I used his other shaft with a moori a few months ago and shot lights out and now he has a players purex tip on it and it just didn't have the same feel and energy.

The shooting was just effortless. So do I try and order some new mooris? If so from who since there are all these fakes?

Also, I beleive I tried a moori from Marc on here and it glazed and mushroomed right away and I got disgusted and took it off. And apparently his tips come straight from Mr. Moori or something like that. So is there just inconsistencies between them? Any other tips that have that springyness/effortless energy and crisp hit?????? I feel like no tip I have ever tried hits like a moori, but it doesnt seem to last long.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Everyone is different in what tips they like but I've been a Med.Moori user for about 12 years...Lately they glazed over and mushroomed.....
So I tried a lot of different tips..For me I love the Tiger Everest...It feels like the old Moori's to me and its 8 layer Pigskin like Morri's...I've had no trouble with the Everest and I've used about 3 since I tried them..

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moori tips aren't junk. I installed two Moori Soft today. They cut like butter, hold chalk well and are competetively priced, the do mushroom a bit and need a touchup after five or so hours of playing, but after that, they hold their shape.
Moori also have two new tips Jewel and Ruby, they have a few more layers than the regular ones, I have not installed enough or played enough with them to form an opinion...

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old Moori's are still out there

There are still old Moori's out there and priced well. And there are many counterfeits as well. But, you can't go wrong with a good Moori, they will hit the same for a long time. I believe that they may change the firmness with each layer to compensate for a thinner tip. I also like the black Kamui's, but their hit starts too soft and becomes harder and harder. Requires changing the tip sooner. The cost just isn't worth it. And if you like your ferrule, change the tip before getting the slightest bit near to the ferrule.

thubosky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is different in what tips they like but I've been a Med.Moori user for about 12 years...Lately they glazed over and mushroomed.....
So I tried a lot of different tips..For me I love the Tiger Everest...It feels like the old Moori's to me and its 8 layer Pigskin like Morri's...I've had no trouble with the Everest and I've used about 3 since I tried them..

Thanks for the information everyone. And yea I tried Everest as well and just thought it was too hard with not as much energy transfer. I feel like the Moori is the most elastic and it slingshots the cue ball off of it almost.

I've tried just about every tip there is and something resonates with the hit of a Moori to me. Haven't felt it with any other pigskin tip either. So where's the best place to buy them now? I thought cue components seemed good but now they are accused of selling fake g2's, but they accuse everyone else of selling fake Mooris so idk.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
The first ones are the best, but Mooris started getting somewhat more sketchy and inconsistent after the Moori IIIs, imo. I think the better new tips that I've tried are G2s and Blackheart. Have not tried Zan but have heard good things from people I trust.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1446787724865.jpg
    FB_IMG_1446787724865.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 323

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moori tips aren't junk. I installed two Moori Soft today. They cut like butter, hold chalk well and are competetively priced, the do mushroom a bit and need a touchup after five or so hours of playing, but after that, they hold their shape.
Moori also have two new tips Jewel and Ruby, they have a few more layers than the regular ones, I have not installed enough or played enough with them to form an opinion...

That's why there now junk. They didn't need unti a few years a go. I used Moori for a decade and finally gave up on them.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information everyone. And yea I tried Everest as well and just thought it was too hard with not as much energy transfer. I feel like the Moori is the most elastic and it slingshots the cue ball off of it almost.

The Everest starts out great but gets far too hard far too soon (as you've seen).

You really might like the Tiger Sniper tip - it has that elastic slingshot feel you describe; I'm playing it on a Tiger LD shaft which is rather stiff.

I will try out the Onyx on my rather stiff R360 later, too.

Cheers!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
LOL. Moori tips are junk?:rolleyes: I've been using Moori tips ever since they became available in my country. I buy them from a brick and mortar store, and I install them myself. That means I know I get genuine tips, and I know their performance has not been ruined by some idiot overheating them on his lathe or soaking the sides with moisture to burnish them. That is fine on solid tips, but with layered tips, more care must be taken IMO.

I wonder how many of you are playing with "Maury" or "Kafluey" tips without knowing it? I think it may be quite a lot. It's understandable when you see people comparing Everest tips to Mooris...Obviously some clever tip installers are increasing their profits at ignorant people's expense.

If you ever get the chance to compare Mooris and Everest tips side by side you will see that the Everest only similarity compared to Moori is the general hardness. It feels like a dried out hunk of sh.. when you compare them. The elasticity of the Moori is what you are paying for. There are a million cheap layered tips out there that will mimic the general hardness, but will feel dried out and bad when you compare directly, because they are not as elastic and springy. Obviously as the tip gets pounded over and over the elasticity gets pounded out as well, which is why they perform best in the start of their life. You want the absolute top performance, you will need to change tips often. That's just how it is, Moori or no Moori. Bad tips will seem more consistent, because there is not as much elasticity there to begin with. They will glaze over though. Lately there have been other companies that are able to get the same performance as Moori, but they cost the same or more and they don't really improve much, so I don't see any reason to change.

As one that has used Mooris since the beginning, I haven't seen the dropoff in quality that everyone keeps jammering on about. I think this is mostly a rumor caused by people getting counterfeit tips, tips that have been incorrectly installed or just rival companies trying to get a market share.

Last edited:

thubosky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Moori tips are junk?:rolleyes: I've been using Moori tips ever since they became available in my country. I buy them from a brick and mortar store, and I install them myself. That means I know I get genuine tips, and I know their performance has not been ruined by some idiot overheating them on his lathe or soaking the sides with moisture to burnish them. That is fine on solid tips, but with layered tips, more care must be taken IMO.

I wonder how many of you are playing with "Maury" or "Kafluey" tips without knowing it? I think it may be quite a lot. It's understandable when you see people comparing Everest tips to Mooris...Obviously some clever tip installers are increasing their profits at ignorant people's expense.

If you ever get the chance to compare Mooris and Everest tips side by side you will see that the Everest only similarity compared to Moori is the general hardness. It feels like a dried out hunk of sh.. when you compare them. The elasticity of the Moori is what you are paying for. There are a million cheap layered tips out there that will mimic the general hardness, but will feel dried out and bad when you compare directly, because they are not as elastic and springy. Obviously as the tip gets pounded over and over the elasticity gets pounded out as well, which is why they perform best in the start of their life. You want the absolute top performance, you will need to change tips often. That's just how it is, Moori or no Moori. Bad tips will seem more consistent, because there is not as much elasticity there to begin with. They will glaze over though. Lately there have been other companies that are able to get the same performance as Moori, but they cost the same or more and they don't really improve much, so I don't see any reason to change.

As one that has used Mooris since the beginning, I haven't seen the dropoff in quality that everyone keeps jammering on about. I think this is mostly a rumor caused by people getting counterfeit tips, tips that have been incorrectly installed or just rival companies trying to get a market share.

I sort of agree with people getting fake Mooris that are sub par quality which is helping the "Mooris are junk" rumor. I just found out that the guy who put my buddies tips on recently got a tin or box of new Mooris and he apparently put some on and could tell that much of a difference that he sent them back saying they were junk.

He is probably the most experiences cue repair guy in the area and shot at a pro level back in his day. Also still usually gets top 5 in the senior event at sbe every year. Definitely someone who knows his tips.

I'd have to ask him but I'm thinking maybe he had a stockpile of Moori III's and finally ran out.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On two seperate days of shooting I have always put one of my buddies schon shafts on my schon and always loved how it felt and hit. This happened with two different shafts but both had moori mediums on them.

I believe he got them installed like 6 months to 1 year ago. So they arent the old mooris or anything. It seems like they shoot so good and then mushroom and glaze. Thats why he stopped using those shafts.

The tip on the one I used was scuffed just a little and had a little mushroom, but it didn't even matter I started running racks like crazy. The moori is always the constant here. I used his other shaft with a moori a few months ago and shot lights out and now he has a players purex tip on it and it just didn't have the same feel and energy.

The shooting was just effortless. So do I try and order some new mooris? If so from who since there are all these fakes?

Also, I beleive I tried a moori from Marc on here and it glazed and mushroomed right away and I got disgusted and took it off. And apparently his tips come straight from Mr. Moori or something like that. So is there just inconsistencies between them? Any other tips that have that springyness/effortless energy and crisp hit?????? I feel like no tip I have ever tried hits like a moori, but it doesnt seem to last long.

Thanks,
Tim

I have used the same source in Japan for my Moori tips from the time before there were Moori 3. The tips I sell now come from the same trusted source. I once bought some fakes out of China so I could identify the differences. The fakes are definitely different.