Changing head alignment

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Currently I shoot with the cue under my right eye even though I am left-eye dominant and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on moving the cue to be directly under my chin like Alex Pagulayan.

Here are my questions:

~Is it worth it?
~Is stereo-vision the most favorable head alignment?
~What would be the easiest/most effective way to accomplish this?
~Are there any drawbacks to it?

It seems like a HUGE undertaking and want to know if it's even worth thinking about much less doing anything physical about it, so I'm asking the all-wise AZBilliards forum their opinion on something very important to me. Any help is appreciated, thank you for your time!!

Neil

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am strong left-eye dominant.when in a long session, after 6,7 hrs my cue shifts towards the middle, which i like better.
have spent a lot of time figuring this out, not good!

not being happy with the amount of consistency,one (me, you) can wonder continuously about what to do better (because something is wrong...)
have you ever seen the eye-setup/alignment from Earl, Feijen or Souquet?
so as good as you are,i dont believe the missing link is wrong alignment
focus on your strenghts, dont get yourself mixed up .a shot is a shot. shot selection, execution, staying down and being committed

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you can change, at least not 'for the better'. I am sure your Wife told you the same.
Your 'sight' is converted to your reality by powers unearthed by mortals.

Don't fukc with it.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The proper head position over your cue is such that what you see as a straight line down your cue to the target is actually a straight line. That may be under one eye, under the other, or somewhere in between.

Are you able to do the alignment drill where you shoot straight down the table and have the ball come back to your tip? If you can do that, it should be obvious that you can see a straight line. So if you are missing shots, it's more likely that you didn't aim at the right target, not that you couldn't see where the ball was going to go.

Steve

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Currently I shoot with the cue under my right eye even though I am left-eye dominant and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on moving the cue to be directly under my chin like Alex Pagulayan.

Here are my questions:

~Is it worth it?

Head alignment is important - it could make a huge difference. You won't know if it does until you try it. Is something making you consider this, like an aiming problem?

I think you have stereo vision no matter where your head is. It just might not be the best stereo vision.

I don't know.

Maybe - it might be physically uncomfortable for awhile and your game might take a dip while you readjust to the new stance/view.

pj
chgo

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here are my questions:

~Is it worth it?

It seems like a HUGE undertaking and want to know if it's even worth thinking about much less doing anything physical about it, so I'm asking the all-wise AZBilliards forum their opinion on something very important to me. Any help is appreciated, thank you for your time!!

Neil

I had the same situation many years ago. I was a fairly good player, but
rather weak shotmaker(for my level). I switched to directly
under my domminant eye and the improvement was beyond dramatic.

IMHO - it is well worth trying. You may need someone to check to see
if you are actually under the other eye, I did.

There is, of course the standard disclaimer of - YMMV

Dale

Last edited:

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Thank you for all of your responses, here are the answers to a few questions:

1. I'm actually playing really well right now, there is no "issue" that is causing me to wonder about this change.

2. Pocketing balls is somewhat of a strongpoint in my game I have no problems cutting balls to either side.

3. My head position is consistent I just wanted to know how people felt about one alignment being superior to another. I've always thought it didn't matter as long as it was consistent but wanted to get a more opinions.

4. Alex was just an example used, I like a lot of things about his game but emulating him isn't the goal here.

Last edited:

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
You might already be so far to one side, that the dominant eye becomes your right per say. Neil... if you are already cutting balls to each side and the shot basically feels the same on each side of the table, I wouldn't worry too much. You might give something away by bringing the cue back to the center of your face.. like suffocating your stroking arm. I used to have my head tilted a little when I first started playing, and badly wanted to switch. So it took me a year to figure out where I wanted the cue, where it felt right, and still have room to stroke.

If you look at pictures of players, you will see them cutting a ball to a certain side, and their head is perpendicular to the shot.. other times it is crooked.. I think it just matters if you can see the shot properly, and doesn't really matter where your head/eyes are in that case.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
If you get too caught up with this head alignment stuff, you may want to take a couple weeks off then quit all together.

It worked for me. I haven't missed a ball in months.

By the way ... how's it going? ;)

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way you are wired..................

Here are my questions:

~Is it worth it?

Neil

Hi Neil,
I have worked with about 25 players like yourself. The reason you can shoot with that one eye is your brain is wired a little different than someone that has the stick between the eyes.

Yancey from Lincoln finally learned this after years of struggling with the cue between his eyes. He bought a Perfect Aim video and when he was moving the eyes around he discovered this. He called me on the phone and was so excited about what he had figured out.

Like Yancey, you guys see different. I can't hardly put it under one eye because it just looks so bad. But for Yancey and yourself and a bunch of other players this is just the way it is. Players that shoot with 2 eyes can't see what you are seeing. You are so strong eye dominent that you can keep the other eye out of the picture totally.

It seems also that the players that can shoot with just one eye overall aim better than the players that use 2. You don't have to worry about the eyes fighting each other.

Give me a call if you want. 715-563-8712 some free advice.
It seems that when players that shoot with one eye try to convert to two they have alot of trouble seeing certain shots that with one eye look real good.

Keep shooting the way you are because you have the best of it. You are lucky that you see the way you do. Good Luck Geno..................

Glendale

Banned

Here are my questions:

~Is it worth it?

Neil

I think you're overthinking this Fugi :grin:

The way you get down on the cue now, was meant to be. If you try changing this, you wouldn't be using your dominant eye. IMO.

Plus, I've seen you shoot plenty. There's nothing wrong with your game, bro. You play jam up!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
double check

Neil,

If you are shooting with the stick under one eye you have a blind side and a side you can see things better on when making cuts. You may well have adapted to that, many do. The very first thing I would do is shoot several days of test drills, shooting to one side first and then the other, banks and a wide variety of cuts. What you want to establish is if you genuinely shoot equally well to both sides. Feeling like you do and documenting your accuracy over hundreds of shots is two different things.

If you do shoot within a few percentage points equally well to both sides then changing head position is unlikely to improve aiming and as others have touched on is very likely to screw up your stroke or you may find yourself extremely sore from getting in a new position over a day or several days of play.

I think that most pool players that don't shoot with the stick completely under the dominant eye tend to shoot with the stick about two-thirds of the way under the dominant eye but over some getting better use of our binocular vision. If I understand him correctly Joe Tucker recommends doing just the opposite, moving the stick to about two thirds of the way to under the weak eye. I haven't bought into that but there is no question that Joe is an outstanding shotmaker and has as straight a stroke as you are likely to find.

When I shot many years ago, I was a little weaker cutting to the right. I didn't feel like I saw the shot as well. When I came back to pool after a couple decades away it seems I cut better to the right than to the left. No real answer as to why but I think it is related to eye alignment.

Might be a bad idea to try to fix something that isn't broken, definitely don't try it without a thirty day or longer window before the next big event.

Hu