Chalk causes deflection?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
hard to say. Should be easy enough to test... hit 10 with heavy chalk and 10 more with no chalk and see which deflected more, if any. Even if you get a conclusive result, it's not something to worry about because using chalk isn't optional. For most of us anyway.

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
"Billiard chalk on a cue tip can increase the amount of deflection incurred by increasing the friction that the tip generates."

From this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_stick

Is there any validity to this?

Sounds backwards if it is even possible. If the cue tip had less chalk then it might make sense that there would be more deflection because the tip would slip on the cue ball and squirt it more one side or the other. The only thing I can think of that would cause the chalk to cause more deflection is if the chalk actually was "sticky", for lack of a better word, at impact and kept the cue ball on the tip longer which could allow the cue to squirt the cue even further off its intended path. Interesting idea though, be a neat experiment but I think a high speed camera or an iron willie would be needed.

Sharkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its amazing some of the things that people post. When I worked at Predator we tested shafts both ways on Iron Willie and it most definitely has more cue ball deflection when there is no chalk. Could the guy have meant that the cue deflects off of the ball more because of less chalk? Still not exactly accurate but like I said, it amazes me some of the myths out there surrounding billiard equipment!

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. The friction causes the tip to not slide off the cb. So, you get minimal deflection. Try heavy english without chalk. You will get massive deflection, better known as a miscue.

I'm with you on this one. Miscue = massive deflection;)

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Its amazing some of the things that people post. When I worked at Predator we tested shafts both ways on Iron Willie and it most definitely has more cue ball deflection when there is no chalk. Could the guy have meant that the cue deflects off of the ball more because of less chalk? Still not exactly accurate but like I said, it amazes me some of the myths out there surrounding billiard equipment!

The myths don't surprise me as much as the people that actually think that knowing that would really make a diference.
MULLY

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
As I figure it...

A cue tip that produced zero friction would result in maximum squirt. The CB would travel along the impact line, like an OB does when hit by a CB (ignoring throw, which, of course, is a friction effect).

The fact that a CB travels along a line in between the cue axis and the impact line means that friction from the tip induces some force component parallel to the cue axis.

If anything, tip friction reduces squirt, it does not aggravate it.

Now the question becomes, "Can a person apply too much chalk so as to effectively reduce tip friction?"

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
One thought that just came up in my screwed up head. If squirt is the parallel movement of the cue ball off of its intended path and deflection is the parallel movement of the shaft itself. Then friction would cause the shaft to deflect more and the cue ball to squirt less. The cue ball would stick to the tip and force the shaft to give instead. If you use less chalk the shaft would go on a straighter path (less deflection) and the ball would squirt more off of its intended path. I always forget there is a difference between squirt and deflection.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If squirt is the parallel movement of the cue ball off of its intended path ...
It's not. Squirt is an angular displacement, not a distance displacement from the ideal path of the cue ball.

After swerve restores some or even all of the angle due to squirt, squirt may look like a distance displacement followed by motion parallel to the cue stick axis.