Ferrule Length?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are some Ferrules so damn short? I've never met anyone that knows the difference other than the look.

You must not know a lot of people then or just those that don't follow pool much.

They are used in most LD shafts to reduce end mass.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Why are some Ferrules so damn short? I've never met anyone that knows the difference other than the look.

Sounds like you don't like the look. It's all about what you become accustomed to. Once you get used to looking at the short ferrule, the larger ferrules look like a marshmallow riding on your tip.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Sounds like you don't like the look. It's all about what you become accustomed to. Once you get used to looking at the short ferrule, the larger ferrules look like a marshmallow riding on your tip.

lol.. I agree, I went from using meucci for years to OB to Mezz and 314 and now I find long ferrules are wierd, just like long nipples

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Do people really notice the ferrule visual when they shoot? I recently got my hands on a shift with a very long ferrule and it doesn't stick out any more than my half-inch ferrule on my player.

But I am bad and maybe should look at the ferrule more when I shoot.

I know Mike Dechaine blacks his ferrules out.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mike Dechaine blacks out his ferrule for the same reason Rodney Morris played with a black ferrule, it's a reference point.

Personall, I use the tip as a reference point and can't stand long or dark ferrules.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Noooo!

lol.. I agree, I went from using meucci for years to OB to Mezz and 314 and now I find long ferrules are wierd, just like long nipples

You know you just cant unsee, unhear to unvisualize some things....damn shame!

Oh the visuals are killing me!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I was with you til the last statement...

Freddie <~~~ one person's weird is another person's perfection

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity, what shaft has the shortest ferrule? I shoot with a McDermott I-3 and it's insanely short compared to what I’m used to.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
You know you just cant unsee, unhear to unvisualize some things....damn shame!

Oh the visuals are killing me!

Maybe that can be a term at Dr.Daves pool school "meucci nips"

To each his own Freddie, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers for those whom appreciate long ones

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Mike Dechaine blacks his ferrules out.

I know somebody on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I watched or heard a podcast where Mike Dechaine's said cue has no ferrule and he drew one on with a Magic Marker because he thought it looked "weird" without a ferrule.

Aloha.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I know somebody on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I watched or heard a podcast where Mike Dechaine's said cue has no ferrule and he drew one on with a Magic Marker because he thought it looked "weird" without a ferrule.

Aloha.

I like the idea of a very small or no ferruled shaft. I have several shafts and wonder if adding a wooden ferrule would render the same results as having a lighter ferruless shaft.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Aloha.

It is the OB wooden ferrule, and he colors it in because he dislikes the look of a wooden ferrule

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hang-the-9...It's gets tiring seeing you put people down in many posts you make. The OP asked an honest question, and doesn't deserve the response you made. You do this a lot. Please try to post more with an open mind, instead of a condescending tone. :frown:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

You must not know a lot of people then or just those that don't follow pool much.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mike Dechaine blacks out his ferrule for the same reason Rodney Morris played with a black ferrule, it's a reference point.

Personall, I use the tip as a reference point and can't stand long or dark ferrules.

Mike does, but he only did it on the OB shafts because of the wood ferrule.

I have one of his shafts and I actually like the black color on it.

The length on the ferrule is a bit longer for a low deflection shaft, I think it's 1/2 inches, maybe 3/4.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hang-the-9...It's gets tiring seeing you put people down in many posts you make. The OP asked an honest question, and doesn't deserve the response you made. You do this a lot. Please try to post more with an open mind, instead of a condescending tone. :frown:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Well the short ferrule has been around for a long time.

So if you have a small number of people you ask, they may not know about that due to sample size. If I just ask 3 random people where Alaska is, I could have easily picked 3 people that did not look at a map much or failed high school.

If you know a lot of people and none of them know, that is a lot more resonable that those people are not into pool that much. If I ask 40 people where Alaska is and none of them can tell me, I must be in a place where people don't know geography in general.

If he's never met anyone that knows he either has not met many people or somehow keeps meeting people that are not aware of some of the middle to advanced parts of the game. Time to move on to other circles of players at that point in order to expand your knowledge. Or at least add in some other place to play in in addition to the regular spots.

Maybe I should have added an LOL or a :) to my post.

I thnk the only other time I post not nice things is when companies promote matches with players that have a tough time beating mid level bar players, that bugs me. And APA rules LOL, but that is because instead of raising the APA members knowledge and skill so they can use WPA rules, they drop or modify rules. If I'm playing a beginner I am not going to tell them "it's OK if you do this because you are a beginner", I'm going to explain the rule and how to shoot something properly so it's not a foul. The APA just tosses up their hands and goes "well these players will never get what this shot is, so lets just make it legal to do".

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I know Mike Dechaine blacks his ferrules out.

It is the OB wooden ferrule, and he colors it in because he dislikes the look of a wooden ferrule

Yes, but this past weekend (at least on Sunday) in the Joss event at Snookers, he was using a shaft with a white ferrule. I don't know the reason for the change.

He seemed to do OK with the white-ferruled shaft, as he won the event.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but this past weekend (at least on Sunday) in the Joss event at Snookers, he was using a shaft with a white ferrule. I don't know the reason for the change.

He seemed to do OK with the white-ferruled shaft, as he won the event.

White or wood? If it was the standard OB shaft it may have been my 30" OB that he took and swapped for one of his colored in 29" ones. I don't know if he wanted to keep it but maybe he did not color it in because it was still my shaft.

If it was white plastic he may have swapped to a different OB shaft. He colored in the wood one because it looked too much like the shaft. When he was using Predator cues I don't think he colored those ferrules.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
White or wood? If it was the standard OB shaft it may have been my 30" OB that he took and swapped for one of his colored in 29" ones. I don't know if he wanted to keep it but maybe he did not color it in because it was still my shaft.

If it was white plastic he may have swapped to a different OB shaft. He colored in the wood one because it looked too much like the shaft. When he was using Predator cues I don't think he colored those ferrules.

It looked white to me, not the OB laminated maple ferrule. Could have been a different OB shaft.