Rail System..necessary or not?

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my country Argentina i spectate master in national tournaments of 8 9 10 ball..we have a national federation of billiards..i also set for tournaments in a less category.

What i see is that there is no master who know rail system. When the opponent execute and the cue ball is covered..but a 2 or 1 rail is possible they touch the objective ball but is impossible for them to pocket it.

My question is.. in international level or international tournaments: rail system is essential or you must know it.
On the other hand..pool is not only direct shoot..yo need to know how to do one or two rails shoot..is right?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my country Argentina i spectate master in national tournaments of 8 9 10 ball..we have a national federation of billiards..i also set for tournaments in a less category.

What i see is that there is no master who know rail system. When the opponent execute and the cue ball is covered..but a 2 or 1 rail is possible they touch the objective ball but is impossible for them to pocket it.

My question is.. in international level or international tournaments: rail system is essential or you must know it.
On the other hand..pool is not only direct shoot..yo need to know how to do one or two rails shoot..is right?

You said they can hit the ball but not pocket it. Pocketing a kick takes a bit of luck as well as skill. Maybe you just have not seen enough games to see shots where they pocket a ball on a kick?

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't actively or consciously use a system and I kick and bank very well. My years of experience playing the rails has taught me the proper angles for multiple rail kicks and banks. I am probably doing the exact same calculations as someone actively using a system, I just didn't teach myself these skills using a system.

A system can get you only so close as there is a lot more than simple measurement that goes into how the balls behave in reality. I will tell you that actively learning and using a system may cut down on the learning curve quite a bit, as what I can do now is the result of a lot of trial and A LOT of error. It is not necessary though. I am sure there are a lot of excellent kickers/bankers who do so by "feel".

Last edited:

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, there are many different systems using the rails to kick and bank. So it's not just one simple explanation to put it all together. Also, learning a system is just the beginning. Then you must learn to develop your "feel." Every table is different.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about international tournaments or players, but I know that *I* need systems to help me kick and bank.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely say the ZeroX system jumped me from guesswork to a high degree of accuracy very quickly. Now if I don’t use the system I am at least leveraging feel from having used the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zero-x

I agree Zero-x is as easy and accurate as any . Hitting the right side of a ball not just hitting it is the difference of getting the cheese or the trap.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Zero-X info & Heath Manning's stuff on YouTube. I enjoyed it a great deal, plus I've used Dr Cues stuff (7th Pocket) for years for getting around the Table. There some other books like the Hoppe book, too.