What would you do?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What no one mentioned is that the guy right in his line of sight is fidgiting around in the chair , he gets settled in and the other guy on the table runs in to get something from his bag.
Maybe they had been j/o for a few games.
I know , none of you guys would get sharked by that , bs
If you can't be sharked , you are staying too close to the kiddy pool.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think if I was the guy who lost.....
...I'd put about half a bottle of talcum powder on both hands....
...when I would shake his hand, I would pat him on the back with the other one.
......maybe even muss his hair a little.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Here's another wwyd question, but not about table layouts.
The game is 10-ball, no shot clock, hill-hill match to get into the money and your opponent is shooting the 10 for the match. And he does this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5jpbAc7WA&feature=youtu.be

Would you just sit there and take it? Would you say something?

(The clip was taken from a match at the last year's All-Japan Open.)

PS. Fast forward if you feel your time is valuable... you won't miss anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb8ulccRP_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I cannot believe is that they don't have a penalty shot clock for players like this. 6 minutes to shoot the match ball is ridiculous and inexcusable. I would have complained to the TD after the first 2-3 minutes.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Why would you care? Its the match winning ball not some shot in the middle of the match. Sit back, relax, let him take all the time in the world and hope he psycs himself out.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
If he made the shot, the match ends and whatever I was thinking or being frustrated by is irrelevant because it had no effect on my performance. If he missed the shot, I would be relieved that he psyched himself out enough to miss for me.

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it looked like he's finnally ready to shoot, I would lay my cue across the table between the CB & 10 B and take a bathroom break using a much time as allowed.
Dale

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 minutes, this is freaking ridiculous. I would tell him to go see a doctor after he makes it

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball shot

the guy should've been timed out that's crazy period I wonder what Strickland would do .

jimmyquinella

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have got a clock and waited 6 min 24 sec to shake his hand after the match.

(Holding my hand out the entire time , but not allowing him to shake it)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Easy shot? :eek:

It's not an easy shot....but it's an easy decision.
....fire it in

A good pool match is related to a dance....
...you have a responsibility to your opponent.

If a man took six minutes to shoot that shot in an action room....
....nobody would want to play him anymore

lucasi1

Registered
Have to agree his actions were highly questionable. I can see many possibilities in handling this, but 3 come to mind of the top of my head... Depending on how the interaction was up to this point, I would 1) If nice, friendly game call the TD after couple of minutes, and show real concern over his anxiety.

However, if we'd had legimate differences, then 2 options are... 1) Call the TD and make a big scene, not to complain, but to show those around how 'genually concerned' you are... or 2) be subtle and quietly ask if everything's ok. Then give HIM something to think about during the shot. Mutter some friendly advice as, "I understand the pressure of this shot. I find if I run my thumb alongside the grip as opposed to under, I shoot straighter."... "If I take my pinkie finger off the grip it helps tremendously"... or " I make sure my nose is lined to my left ring finger, that put's my right eye directly in line with the cue."

This is your baby, so come up with whatever you like. Again, the purpose is to shift all the time and pressure back o him. He can then react however he wants, I don't care. If he reloads and takes longer, I just add a few more hints, but keep everything on him. He may or may not shoot/ make the shot but you haven't got anything to loose. He started this train, not me...

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like someone said I am surprized he made the shot. After all that BS you figure he would have dogged it. It looked like the floors were pretty hard maybe the old drop a cue stick as he started to shoot, or maybe the old jingling some coins in your pocket:thumbup:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Would love to have been there if he was playing Earl!
All hell would've come down on this dude! lmao

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Yup, I'm sure Earl would have lost his mind on this one.

I think it's okay to let your opponent take their time and maybe psyche themselves out, but there's a limit to that.
6 minutes is an eternity when you're waiting for your opponent to shoot a single shot, considering you have no idea when or even if he's going to shoot it. If 6 minutes is okay, what's to stop him from dragging it out further?

This was a major open tournament with paying spectators, and should not have been allowed to take place, imo.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because professional pool almost always has shot clocks in play for situations like this. It was ridiculous and unprofessional...imo.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Why would you care? Its the match winning ball not some shot in the middle of the match. Sit back, relax, let him take all the time in the world and hope he psycs himself out.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he made the shot, the match ends and whatever I was thinking or being frustrated by is irrelevant because it had no effect on my performance. If he missed the shot, I would be relieved that he psyched himself out enough to miss for me.

I would play 2 balls better if I could adopt this philosophy and really live by it. Thanks

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I was hoping he'd miss after taking so damn long.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. He shot that as if his life literally depended on it.
I was hoping he'd dog it and start having some kind of weeping fit,
maybe stab himself in the eye with his cue. Is that perverse?

There are several acceptable responses to this situation.

Falcon_Sports_Air_Horn_Single_2.png

kXCTdp5.png

tumblr_m8tivkdHtc1qegtup.gif