SVBs Break

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I laugh when I hear people talk about this guys break and saying it is why he wins so much. He is an excellent shot maker and has great nerves. I just cannot figure out if it is just his break why don't the other players out there figure it out and break like him?

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah...

He keeps winning because of his game. Break is part of his game, take the break away, he still wins.

1187mg

Registered
On my table (ITS A REAlLY JUNKIE TABLE) I can make the 7 or any ball I rack inthe centerl on the back 3 out of 5 times in 9 ball.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I laugh when I hear people talk about this guys break and saying it is why he wins so much. He is an excellent shot maker and has great nerves. I just cannot figure out if it is just his break why don't the other players out there figure it out and break like him?

true, he has many facets of his game. He is strong in many ways, but what really separates him is his break. That's not disrespecting him, that's just the truth.

1187mg

Registered
That he is good at pattern racking. I think he is the best pool player in the U.S. though. Give me his talent though I'll make several balls every break. Let a big racked woman rack them for the pros then see what kind of break they have.

lucasi1

Registered
I have a question about SVB's break. Are you talking about some power break or one similar to the break used in the SVB-Hohmann 9 ball game?

Although I've watched these guys play, I don't follow 9 ball religously. One thing I don't understand is breaking and the corner ball going dead center 90+% of the time. In this particular match, their break is so soft, at times the 1 ball is the only OB past the side pockets. It either goes in/by the side or up near the corner and they play position on it. They break from the side, hit the CB with a touch of draw, and bring it back to center of table.

If memory is correct, A. Fisher and the girls were doing the same thing 10 - 20 yrs ago. It caused such a stir, they deemed that 2 object balls had to go up table on the break or it was a foul. Also if memory is correct, a referee was racking at these tournaments.

My intention here is not to dissrespect anyone or question anyone's honor. It is simply a question about this soft break and today's equiptment. (Balls made of different materials, cloth's are different as well as cue balls) In today's game, does breaking the balls this way work on a regular basis? I know it didn't 30-40 years ago, but everything changes in time.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question about SVB's break. Are you talking about some power break or one similar to the break used in the SVB-Hohmann 9 ball game?

Although I've watched these guys play, I don't follow 9 ball religously. One thing I don't understand is breaking and the corner ball going dead center 90+% of the time. In this particular match, their break is so soft, at times the 1 ball is the only OB past the side pockets. It either goes in/by the side or up near the corner and they play position on it. They break from the side, hit the CB with a touch of draw, and bring it back to center of table.

If memory is correct, A. Fisher and the girls were doing the same thing 10 - 20 yrs ago. It caused such a stir, they deemed that 2 object balls had to go up table on the break or it was a foul. Also if memory is correct, a referee was racking at these tournaments.

My intention here is not to dissrespect anyone or question anyone's honor. It is simply a question about this soft break and today's equiptment. (Balls made of different materials, cloth's are different as well as cue balls) In today's game, does breaking the balls this way work on a regular basis? I know it didn't 30-40 years ago, but everything changes in time.

I don't understand how a soft break is cheating anyway. So what if a player has mastered the break?

Playing a shot with control seems much more sensible too

Joey V

Registered

You're 100 percent right. It is just excuses and jealousy to some extent. If you really break down Shane's game you will see he more talented, smoother and his ball pocketing is superb. Cue ball control right there as well. Mentally he is above 90 percent of his competitors.

Other players can try all they want to break like him but they will come up short because it's all in his stroke and the majority of top players as great as they are don't have as nice a stroke or as much natural talent and ability. He gets the most action on the break from what appears to be minimal effort.

Right now he is simply dominating in an age where his equals have more resources to achieve the highest levels than ever before. It seems like he is winning every major event. The only thing that can stop him is burn out. If he doesn't burn out he may one day be considered the the greatest player of all time. Other than Efren, he is definitely the best I've ever seen. Earl's fire power, Buddy's position, Sigel's straight shooting and form, Shane has it all. I am rarely ever this impressed with someone's game but this guy has done it for me.

If anyone disagrees I'd really like to see them present their argument.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I really just don't understand why so many people act like the break isn't part of the game. He has practiced it just like anyone else can practice it. For that reason I can't take anyone seriously when they write off Shane because "it's only because of his break".

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
His break doesn't help him in one pocket or snooker

Indeed, and he wins plenty at one pocket too.

If one were to pit svb against whatever folks consider the top ten pool players in the world these days and both players were assigned the same dedicated breaker, my money would still be on svb. Simply put, he has a rare combination of skill, nerves, and commitment to the game that few can muster. In my view based on the players I have seen personally, only orcullo is his equal. When those two play, my wallet snaps shut, but I sure enjoy the show!

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shane w his break is top 10 in the world in 8, 9 or 10 ball, without it he would still be top 100 in the world

anyone who gets mad when someone points this out would be negating just how strong his break is or am i missing something? i am curious how his break was b4 he started using the break rak? i am guessing that it was pretty strong long b4 he started using it

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres a reason why svb has been known to spend and entire day breaking. Great 9 ball and 10 play is all about the break. How many pro matches do you see where there both playing great but ones break is working and the other is not and the writing is on the wall from there. His bar box break is just ridiculous. IT's like he as the same simple out every time lol Every facet of his game is strong...but I think he has the most consistent break in the country right now. It's not the only reason he wins but it's a big contributing factor!

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
shane w his break is top 10 in the world in 8, 9 or 10 ball, without it he would still be top 100 in the world

anyone who gets mad when someone points this out would be negating just how strong his break is or am i missing something? i am curious how his break was b4 he started using the break rak? i am guessing that it was pretty strong long b4 he started using it

I think most people who say that aren't paying a compliment to Shane and his break. The implication is that the rest of his game is no better than the average pro and it's meant as a dig. I don't know how you could say that after watching him play, but I guess the guys he beats need something to help them sleep at night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
having an excellent break (like Shane's) increases your chances of making a ball on it as well as running the rack out. that and superior shot-making ability makes SVB one of the best in the world.