David Howard Meucci

bullshooter69

Dirt Road Player
Silver Member
Here is a David Howard by Meucci.
For your enjoyment a few pictures. Can someone tell me what model this is. Thanks

Attachments

• DH Meucci.jpg
    DH Meucci.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5,120
  • DH Meucci 2.jpg
    DH Meucci 2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,946
  • DH Meucci 3.jpg
    DH Meucci 3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 4,561
  • DH Meucci 1.jpg
    DH Meucci 1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 4,253

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
I'll jump in with a 1980s David Howard :thumbup:
Maybe we can get a collection of photos going.
Question: Is this David Howard the "Giant Killer" or "Dragon slayer" ?

Attachments

• DH 004.jpg
    DH 004.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4,829
  • DH 007.jpg
    DH 007.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 4,064
  • DH 006.jpg
    DH 006.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 4,337
  • DH 005.jpg
    DH 005.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 4,377
  • DH 002.jpg
    DH 002.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4,691
Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll jump in with a 1980s David Howard :thumbup:
Maybe we can get a collection of photos going.
Question: Is this David Howard the "Giant Killer" or "Dragon slayer" ?

I think your cue was called the Giant Killer, because that was what David was know as. But I think Dragon Slayer fits the look of the cue better.
The orignal cue listed that started the thread just had a David Howard series number of DH-2. Your Giant killer cue was DH-4B. The B stood for Birdseye forearm.
The Simple two pointer was a DH-1 and the Star of David cue was a DH-3.
Meucci really was way ahead of the pack with his earlier designs, before everyone went CNC for inlay work.

Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little David

He lives in Jacksonville, I took lessons from him around 97-98. Little David the Giant Killer

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
jmurphy, I loved that cue when I was a teenager and wanted one so bad I could taste it. I still like it a lot now. It's a classic!

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
jmurphy, I loved that cue when I was a teenager and wanted one so bad I could taste it. I still like it a lot now. It's a classic!

It's a friend's cue but I love the look also. I know she paid over $700 for this cue in the late 1980s and that was with her employee discount from working at Gibbs Billiards in Va. Beach Va.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
It's a friend's cue but I love the look also. I know she paid over $700 for this cue in the late 1980s and that was with her employee discount from working at Gibbs Billiards in Va. Beach Va.

I actually have the exact same cue, and bought it new back in the 80's. Saved up lots of paychecks living in the parent's house to afford this, but I have no clue what I paid for it new.

What was the MSRP on this cue when it was new? There's not a lot of information out there on this specific cue other than the one website I found that compares the two. (Giant Killer and the HOF7).

This cue has seen countless bars, beer leagues, Boston Billiards, and a slew of other pool halls that are no longer around. It's currently out for a long overdue refinish and new tip. At the time it had a second shaft, but it dissapeared along with the pool hall that had it for a new tip. That was probably nearly 20 years ago.

Before the refinish I noticed that a lot of the inlays were begining to make their way through the finish, especially the metal. it had a lot of small dings, but no real damage beyond a ding. The shaft is still in perfect shape, but needed a cleaning and a new tip.

This cue was a lot of fun in our circle of friends back in it's day as it always drew lots of "oohs" and "ahhs". It was also a bit ostentatious and pretentious when seen. That aspect of it's appearance was a lot of fun.

it's also really neat that today it has a small, but very strong cult following. So much so that it was replicated loosely by the Hall of Fame series.

I think the cue still stands the test of time as far as it's esthetics are concerned. it does look a little over the top, but even by today's design standards it's a pretty unique cue, and for all the right reasons. I still get offers for it...and that was before the refinish.

Above and beyond it's unique looks, this old stick plays so well it's funny. As a kid it was bought solely on it's looks. Saw it in the brochure at the pool hall and immediately said, "that's it." The surprise is that today, over twenty years later, the stick plays lights out. I have a Bill Schick and a super fancy Gabe Owen. Nothing wrong with the Owen, but I'll pick the Meucci over the Owen for playability...and the Owen is an awesome stick!

Thanks for letting me see that Meucci. I have a leather wrap on the Schick and after a long time have grown to like it better than anything. The leather wrap really fits the motif of the Giant Killer. Looks great!

Just an FYI...here is a pic I found on Budget Cues the various DH original models...

David_Howard_Series.jpg

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my Meucci DH cue. And i do have other Meucci Original cues. hope the pics come out.

Attachments

• th_Meuccipoolcues012[1].jpg
    th_Meuccipoolcues012[1].jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 3,551

coby123

Registered
pics of the other 3 i have been looking for the dh giant for some time so if anyone has one fs hit me up.

Attachments

• DSCF0266.jpg
    DSCF0266.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3,957

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL!:grin:

No such thing as a Meucci Dragon Slayer cue.

Mad Mike made up this name and now people believe it. LOL

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
pics of the other 3 i have been looking for the dh giant for some time so if anyone has one fs hit me up.

I was curious how much the cue in the top of this picture would be worth these days in decent shape? I found one for $250 but not quite sure of the value.

ItsShag

Registered
Hey guys and girls, I have what I believe is a Giant Killer. I have done a lot of research, but there is not a lot of information out there on the origins of the cue, different models of it, or even a true value of it. It looks to be fairly old, maybe late 80's early 90's. It is not a David Howard model, which is odd, but the rest match up. I am hoping one of you awesome people can help me out here, and tell me something about it. I have several pictures of this as well, maybe that will help.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll get some pictures of mine. Mine was bought in the early 80s. Still using it. I had to have the linen replaced. Ferrule has a tiny hairline crack, but has only a hint if roll out. Pretty good for the original shaft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ItsShag

Registered
Hey guys and girls, I have what I believe is a Giant Killer. I have done a lot of research, but there is not a lot of information out there on the origins of the cue, different models of it, or even a true value of it. It looks to be fairly old, maybe late 80's early 90's. It is not a David Howard model, which is odd, but the rest match up. I am hoping one of you awesome people can help me out here, and tell me something about it. I have several pictures of this as well, maybe that will help.

Here are some pictures for reference. Maybe someone will know something about it. Maybe I will start a new thread as well, since this one hasn't been touched since 2012.

Attachments

• 20150927_145435-600x800 1.jpg
    20150927_145435-600x800 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 20150927_145518-600x800 2.jpg
    20150927_145518-600x800 2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 20150927_145549-600x800 3.jpg
    20150927_145549-600x800 3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 196

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my old war horse.
I went with the red tone linen. Just blended in.
d1d01d7254a15821c273f38d2e20eb85.jpg

980db74bc797daede5357b0742916320.jpg

3cea6d80b7ee04d6c85f339dd1c64c15.jpg

If anyone has an extra shaft, PM me. I could use an extra when playing an elderly cue!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: