Ferrule Help Please

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased an OB 2 plus LD shaft. The ferrule is brown and is stacked maple. The shaft never felt comfortable to me and I realized that I am used to a pro taper and the OB had a conical taper. I had the taper changed to a pro taper and the taper length turned to my liking. I am still having problems though as the tip always looks, to my eyes that it is mushroomed, even though it is not and I am attributing it to the color of the ferrule. I want to paint the ferrule white. What should I use and how should I apply it. I am not a cue builder nor do I work on cues but I thought this might be a simple process. I only use the shaft to play 3 cushion and on Diamond bar boxes. I use my regular shafts on 9 footers which is pretty much all that I play on. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
White paint applied with a detail-brush should do it.
White-Out for typing errors/etc. comes to mind also.
The brush comes with it.
Good Luck.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
White paint applied with a detail-brush should do it.
White-Out for typing errors/etc. comes to mind also.
The brush comes with it.
Good Luck.

Will the paint have any effect on the glue for the tip?
Will it soak into the ferrule and mess with the glue on it?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased an OB 2 plus LD shaft. The ferrule is brown and is stacked maple. The shaft never felt comfortable to me and I realized that I am used to a pro taper and the OB had a conical taper. I had the taper changed to a pro taper and the taper length turned to my liking. I am still having problems though as the tip always looks, to my eyes that it is mushroomed, even though it is not and I am attributing it to the color of the ferrule. I want to paint the ferrule white. What should I use and how should I apply it. I am not a cue builder nor do I work on cues but I thought this might be a simple process. I only use the shaft to play 3 cushion and on Diamond bar boxes. I use my regular shafts on 9 footers which is pretty much all that I play on. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I'm not quite sure, but I don't think the OB ferrules where designed to withstand the impact from the bigger 3 cushion balls

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not quite sure, but I don't think the OB ferrules where designed to withstand the impact from the bigger 3 cushion balls

You could be right, never thought about it, but the tip it 11.75 and sort of feels right for 3 cushion.