Alternate break is ruining pool

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I see one problem with the 3 hour time limit. If a player gains a lead, he could start playing the clock. Like clock management in the NFL. Just to keep his oppenent on the chair. And pool players will use it together advantage. If there is a 30 second time limit, the player that is ahead WILL take the full 30 seconds to make even the simplest of shots.

There will always be someone looking for an angle.

Yep, they sure can, but that move is equally available to both players, so my advice to the player that is behind in games., shoot better when it's your turn, and don't wait until that last 5 minutes to turn on your best skills!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the purpose of making balls past the side pockets to be considered a legal break? What is the purpose of racking the 9 on the foot spot? As far as a shot clock in one pocket, never happen, but a match time limit would end all one pocket matches at the same time, and 3 hrs is long enough to decide a winner. The point penalties you described would do nothing more than extend a game into the Twilight Zone as far as how long it would take to play a game.
I watched Corey Duel win some event a few yrs. back. He was soft breaking(using a wooden rack) and he tortured 'em. He'd usually make a ball but the rack didn't open up much. ALL the old purist fossils sitting around about swallowed their dentures. "You can't break like that" was all you heard. Shortly thereafter many events had the "Corey Rule" about getting 3-4balls past the side. Crazy.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I watched Corey Duel win some event a few yrs. back. He was soft breaking(using a wooden rack) and he tortured 'em. He'd usually make a ball but the rack didn't open up much. ALL the old purist fossils sitting around about swallowed their dentures. "You can't break like that" was all you heard. Shortly thereafter many events had the "Corey Rule" about getting 3-4balls past the side. Crazy.

My question is this, what is stopping ANY player from beating Cory at his own game. A race to 21 is a far cry from a race to 7 or 9.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

On that basis of a soft break, should that rule of bust them wide open be applied to one pocket as well?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Look at it this way, maybe Corys taken the time to master the 9 ball break....and the rest of the world is still breaking wrong....is that possible?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at it this way, maybe Corys taken the time to master the 9 ball break....and the rest of the world is still breaking wrong....is that possible?
Totally possible. Personally, i don't give a flying u-no-what how they rack 'em. Wood, metal, magic, turtle, one-on-spot, 9-on-spot, who really cares? Best player is gonna win regardless. The Orcullo-Chua match last week was a race to 35 with a magic rack and it was one of the best sets of pool i've seen in a LONG time. If that's what pool with a magic rack can be like count me in.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If winner always breaks, how could any of the losers even try?

Jeff Livingston

Race to 21, are you saying Cory is so good, that he's going to run out every match he plays in to 21-0? I don't know, i guess everyone could put in the time to practice Corys soft break BEFORE they show up to play, wouldn't you think?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Race to 21, are you saying Cory is so good, that he's going to run out every match he plays in to 21-0? I don't know, i guess everyone could put in the time to practice Corys soft break BEFORE they show up to play, wouldn't you think?

No, I simply posting along the lines of this thread's purpose.

I'm for loser breaks, if you didn't know.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the newer rules you rarely see the really soft snap. In the Orcullo match last week they had to get three past the side pockets with pocketed balls counting as one. No whining of any kind. Just super pool. Dennis had the kid down like 20-10 and he escaped with a 35-33 win.

lucasi1

Registered
In 9b, the 9 is racked in the middle. The head ball is put on foot spot. No pattern racking and breaker can hit any ball he chooses. (Some people don't hit the head ball in 8b) A certain number of balls (3,4,whatever) have to go up table or opponent has option to take table as is or give back.

Manipulating the rack, making wing ball combined with soft breaks is boring. And with winner break it is even worse. Watch the Reyes vs Orcollo 9b 2017 dcc match race to 9. Starts with both players breaking from the side and hitting hard. Dennis gets 2-0, then Efren wins next 3 or 4. Score gets 4-4 with Dennis breaking. He completely changes his break. Moves cb to off center, changes his power, sends 1b up to corner, and I think he runs next 5 and match is over. It's like watching a practice drill. It's boring to me and I like the game. Imagine what an outsider feels.

My 1p change is meant to pick up the pace. The 1b per foul rule means little to good players. Put me in a tight spot, I take a foul. Put me in another tight spot, another foul. It goes on. Making fouls more costly and making 3rd foul in a game equal a loss would prevent some of that.

I'm sure no changes will be made. People want pool to become popular again and the challenges are great. Pool needs to be fun and exciting. That's why Ronnie O is everyone's favorite. He is exciting to watch. Look up in the stands. Look at the young people smiling and watching. Look at how many women, many middle aged and older are watching. How many women attend an American pool tournament just to watch?

Just my 2 cents..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Totally possible. Personally, i don't give a flying u-no-what how they rack 'em. Wood, metal, magic, turtle, one-on-spot, 9-on-spot, who really cares? Best player is gonna win regardless. The Orcullo-Chua match last week was a race to 35 with a magic rack and it was one of the best sets of pool i've seen in a LONG time. If that's what pool with a magic rack can be like count me in.

And that has been my point all along, stop changing pool so that amateurs feel they have a chance to play even with the Pro's just so they can get their rocks off. Let the Pro's play each other AS Pro's without all the deluded rule changes in this sport. 9 ball in it's original format was as pure as an aggressive game of pool could have ever been, even with it's original 2 shot foul push out. I had actually considered the possibility of bringing back the 2 shot foul rule, but some players would just play it to the extreme, so by only allowing the use of the pushout rule once in a game, and have to declare the use of the move as using the players one LIFELINE per game, i think it's a happy medium.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about no more head to head contests: all matches should be 5 rack sets and lowest about of shots required to pocket the racks wins?

It will make pool like golf. Money back guarantee on that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In 9b, the 9 is racked in the middle. The head ball is put on foot spot. No pattern racking and breaker can hit any ball he chooses. (Some people don't hit the head ball in 8b) A certain number of balls (3,4,whatever) have to go up table or opponent has option to take table as is or give back.

Manipulating the rack, making wing ball combined with soft breaks is boring. And with winner break it is even worse. Watch the Reyes vs Orcollo 9b 2017 dcc match race to 9. Starts with both players breaking from the side and hitting hard. Dennis gets 2-0, then Efren wins next 3 or 4. Score gets 4-4 with Dennis breaking. He completely changes his break. Moves cb to off center, changes his power, sends 1b up to corner, and I think he runs next 5 and match is over. It's like watching a practice drill. It's boring to me and I like the game. Imagine what an outsider feels.

My 1p change is meant to pick up the pace. The 1b per foul rule means little to good players. Put me in a tight spot, I take a foul. Put me in another tight spot, another foul. It goes on. Making fouls more costly and making 3rd foul in a game equal a loss would prevent some of that.

I'm sure no changes will be made. People want pool to become popular again and the challenges are great. Pool needs to be fun and exciting. That's why Ronnie O is everyone's favorite. He is exciting to watch. Look up in the stands. Look at the young people smiling and watching. Look at how many women, many middle aged and older are watching. How many women attend an American pool tournament just to watch?

Just my 2 cents..

First off, 8 ball doesn't require balls to be played in rotation like 9 ball does, which means any ball on the break can be hit first. Second, if there is a set rack order in which 9 ball has to be racked, that means its the same exact rack pattern for every player, but without a racking aid such as a magic rack, break patterns are not nearly as predictable. And once again, there's a big difference between races to 21 vs 7-9-11. The ability of running racks is a sure fire sign of a player showing how great of a player they are, WHY in the world does that have to be restricted in order to entertain some viewers!! How would the fans like watching Ronnie O if he could only score 14 points, then had to play a safe, before he could score points again just so that other players would have a chance to beat him?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How about no more head to head contests: all matches should be 5 rack sets and lowest about of shots required to pocket the racks wins?

It will make pool like golf. Money back guarantee on that.
Yeah, they tried that in boxing, was called shadow boxing, the idea was so that no one watching would be exposed to seeing one of the boxers getting his face bashed in all beat and bloody, BUT when the those in charge found out the beatings were the only reason anyone watched in the first place....they gave up the idea for fear of losing ALL the viewers....LOL

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Usually all that is required is a certain number of balls (usually 4)contact a rail or pocketed. If Cory was doing that, then all the "old fossils" can stick it.

I seen the video. I seen absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was by the rules as far as I am concerned. People will whine about anything these days.

A few years ago they had a simular rule at the Mosconi Cup. 3 pocketed or past head string (or side pocket)? Can't remember which. But some of those guys got unlucky and couldn't get it done. For an amature, you might as well win the lag and pass the break to the opponent.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, they tried that in boxing, was called shadow boxing, the idea was so that no one watching would be exposed to seeing one of the boxers getting his face bashed in all beat and bloody, BUT when the those in charge found out the beatings were the only reason anyone watched in the first place....they gave up the idea for fear of losing ALL the viewers....LOL

Blood...an interesting twist.

Could it be the thing that makes pool huge?

I think you are on to something uhh, bloody awesome.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Blood...an interesting twist.

Could it be the thing that makes pool huge?

I think you are on to something uhh, bloody awesome.

Well, that's why i have the rule that a 10 game spread is an early win by KO, stop the bleeding, I'm no interested in a 10 game deficit come from behind to win match, that WON'T fit in a 3 hour time frame, and I'm not interested in boring the viewers with it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is not playing pool, that is playing the break. When you break like that, there is no game left, and a soft break often lines up an early combo on the 9 with one of the balls next to it.

If everyone started to do this, I would never watch a new game of pool again.

Sure an identical layout each break with a ball going in every time and a combo on the 9 every other rack is great for winning the game, but also great for turning people off from watching it or playing with you. One of the TAR matches they had a race where there were no rules for breaking, so it was all pattern rack with soft break. You watched one rack, you watched them all. Useless.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That is not playing pool, that is playing the break. When you break like that, there is no game left, and a soft break often lines up an early combo on the 9 with one of the balls next to it.

If everyone started to do this, I would never watch a new game of pool again.

Sure an identical layout each break with a ball going in every time and a combo on the 9 every other rack is great for winning the game, but also great for turning people off from watching it or playing with you. One of the TAR matches they had a race where there were no rules for breaking, so it was all pattern rack with soft break. You watched one rack, you watched them all. Useless.
Got any videos showing what you're talking about that DON'T include the use of a racking aid, just a plain old triangle rack?