Tips for carom shots

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess this question applies to non carom shots too but how do you make sure you hit a certain angle off the first object ball?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there is the tangent line on stun
and the "peace " sign on a rolling ball
and a split the middle on a draw stroke
pm me to discuss it

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to use the 90 degree tangent every time if I can. This is accomplished by changing the cut angle on the first ball until the 90 degree tangent lines up with your intended contact point on the ball to be pocketed. I find the 90 degree tangent to be the most reliable. There obviously will be caroms where you need to draw or follow either due to the layout of the balls or in order to control the object ball for position on the next shot. This is accomplished the same way you would hit a spot on the rail. If you cannot effectively hit any spot on the rail at will, you will need to practice that, as it is a basic skill of position play.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An aiming trick for these shots, is to aim the first ball at the point of contact, closest to the pocket on the second ball (first ball is the ball contacted first, second ball is the ball you are caroming off of). As the cut gets thinner, aim the edge of the first ball at the point closest the pocket on the second ball.

Get Ray Martins '99 Critical Shots', explains the shots in detail. ;)

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An aiming trick for these shots, is to aim the first ball at the point of contact, closest to the pocket on the second ball (first ball is the ball contacted first, second ball is the ball you are caroming off of). As the cut gets thinner, aim the edge of the first ball at the point closest the pocket on the second ball.

Get Ray Martins '99 Critical Shots', explains the shots in detail. ;)

I don't follow what your saying at all. It almost sounds like you are describing a combination? Why would I aim the object ball at the other ball? You are trying to hit it with cue ball, no?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't follow what your saying at all. It almost sounds like you are describing a combination? Why would I aim the object ball at the other ball? You are trying to hit it with cue ball, no?

The first ball can be the cb ;)

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foolproof system for carom s

For many years I would opt for the damn near impossible combo shot over even the simplest carom shot.

To your question, I was taught a system by an amazing old pool player that was moving toward that poolroom in the sky. He told me wanted to share his system for carom shots before he left this mortal coil. and now it's my turn before I shuffle off to join him. After I share this you too will more often pass on the combo in favor of the carom shot. You too at some point will pass it on to some deserving player. (No girls) and only 1 person

I study the angle intently from the 1st ball to the point on the 9 ball I need to hit

Step 2 I walk around the table and study the angles intently from the pocket side

Step 3 I decide which English I think I need and determine the speed needed

Step 4 I take a deep breath in and out mouth only and follow my usual pre shot routine intently

Step 5 I hit the 1st ball with the exact opposite English I'm certain will work

Final and most important step I focus on the 9 ball , hit the cue ball as hard as I can and hope it goes 2 or 3 rails, deflects off of 1 or even better 2 balls and just when it looks like it can't roll another inch the 9 balls falls in any pocket, preferably the least likely pocket.

If you intently follow these steps, statistics and analytics prove you have a 50% chance to make the shot, I'm gesan that's a better chance then you had before receiving this valuable system. That percentage is based on the fact that after years of using this system and charting the results. It either goes that way or it doesn't- clearly 50-50

Good luck and remember to whom much is given - much is expected -