Meucci black dot shaft - like or not

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I see were most of the Meucci line comes with the Black Dot Shaft , I have heard mix results with these . I like the red dot shaft and wonder if any of you guys like the Black dot.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been shooting Blackdots (among others such as OBs and Pechauer Pros) for decades. I like them overall. They have a 'soft hit' which is probably due more to the actual taper than how the shaft is constructed, and from one Meucci blackdot to the next they feel pretty consistent.

They do feel kind of 'dead' though. I don't feel like there's as much feedback with a Blackdot as there is with a true solid maple shaft, for whatever reason. The Meucci Originals that I owned all seemed to feel more 'live,' if you will. But shoot them one after the other, and you can easily see the difference between a solid maple shaft and a Blackdot shooting any kind of english on the ball.

However, Blackdots are kind of old tech, if you will. Compared to today's "low deflection" shafts, Blackdots probably deflect a little more than most of them. But if all you've shot is solid maple shafts, then a Blackdot will be an improvement as deflection goes, generally speaking.

Compared to a Red dot, the Black dot seems to deflect less. But the Red dot has more feel or feedback, and it's easier to do certain things with a Red dot. Masse for example or even small jumps. Black dots can masse, but don't really jump all that well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they're horrible. Owned one for about 10days. Super soft hit with virtually no feel/feedback on a shot. Lifeless is good word. Tried 3-4 different tips trying to get some "pop" in the hit but nothing worked. If you're looking at a Meucci get the Pro shaft. They DO play very nice. The black should be called the "black hole" shaft.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree , my Cuzin got a new Meucci Gambler and it came with the Black dot shaft . Junk and then some. Pretty lame hit and feel. He has another Meucci with the Pro Shaft and it Is like night and day . Hits Fabulous. I myself really like the red dot shafts

mrjobe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the black dot is a fine shaft. I have a 21st century that came with one. its generally a loaner cue and everybody who has played with it compliments it.

just a few nights ago, a buddy who plays the SVB CF cue used it, he ran 7 and barley missed a bank on the 8. That was his first time holding the cue or a black dot. he whopped a lot of ass night.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I never played with one, I had the opportunity to test hit a couple when they first came out. I thought they played dead and were the worst feeling shafts I ever used. I had used the solid maple shafts, both original and red dot and really liked the way they played.