Butterfly cases

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Xmas I received a 4x8 butterfly case as a gift. It is very nice and holds all my "stuff" but I find it, for lack of a better word, unwieldy. I noticed in tournaments it seems like a lot of work moving around the room and waiting for next matches with a butterfly case. Any thoughts? Return it and go for a conventional case? Anybody else experience this problem?

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
thats the same reason I got rid of mine.everyone I know likes them for the weight but also a soft case is not as protective IMO. I guess it depends on how careful you are with your stuff. There are some butterfly cases that you can only open the top to take your cues out mezz and the new predator 3x4 cases are built that way.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I have a couple, one really nice custom, but I don't use them often because of that. Not super practical in a crowded space.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I am considering a butterfly case. I know some people with hard cases use the case as a cue holder.

I use a dedicated cue holder and was planning on putting the butterfly case under the table when playing. I thought the light weight of a butterfly case would be a benefit in between matches ?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I have a 4x8 butterfly case, but I quit using it for 2 reasons. 1. The case was kind of a pain at tournaments when having to move from table to table as it required breaking down and packing the cues up each time. and more importantly 2. The case was designed with the cues laying on top of each other when the case was closed. This led to butts on one side of the case banging into the shafts on the other side and making tiny dents despite being in the sleeves. If I ever buy another butterfly case again I'll probably get a JB butterfly because based on looking at the design it looks like JB solved both of those issues.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Interesting. I am considering a butterfly case. I know some people with hard cases use the case as a cue holder.

I use a dedicated cue holder and was planning on putting the butterfly case under the table when playing. I thought the light weight of a butterfly case would be a benefit in between matches ?

I'm sure there are all different kinds but my leather butterflies are not light weights either way so it's a wash. I also wouldn't walk away from a case under a table so again, it's coming with me. So either I gotta carry a handful of stuff and a case over my shoulder or break everything down and find some place to pack 'em up. The nylon/real soft ones might be better at sliding cues in from the end than the stiffer leather ones but then again you are probably giving up protection on the more floppy ones. Idk.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny. I got a butterfly FOR tournaments. The justis kills my shoulder carrying it around all day.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats the same reason I got rid of mine.everyone I know likes them for the weight but also a soft case is not as protective IMO. I guess it depends on how careful you are with your stuff. There are some butterfly cases that you can only open the top to take your cues out mezz and the new predator 3x4 cases are built that way.

Yes, I have one of the new Predator 3 X 4 cases and I have gotten used to it. I really like the case and find it protective, light, and quite functional. You can unzip at the top and remove cues easily. It's not as easy to accurately put them back in the case this way so you'll want to lay it on the table and open it fully. Has lots of pocket space for all of your goodies. I'd rather have a Barton mason case but I don't have the funds at the moment.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solution:

Don't carry 4 butts and 8 shafts while at a tournament.

Just back to the game and only carry a player and a break. Still is a pain in tournaments. Got the 4x8 because I will grow into it over time.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just back to the game and only carry a player and a break. Still is a pain in tournaments. Got the 4x8 because I will grow into it over time.

You say that, but I downsized from a 3x6 to a 2x4. The 3x6 was too much and I even got rid of my 3 piece jump cue, because it was unnecessary weight. I rarely used it.

What helped me the most, was getting a sturdy case and adding as much padding as possible. Laptop bag strap pads work well.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say that, but I downsized from a 3x6 to a 2x4. The 3x6 was too much and I even got rid of my 3 piece jump cue, because it was unnecessary weight. I rarely used it.

What helped me the most, was getting a sturdy case and adding as much padding as possible. Laptop bag strap pads work well.

Thanks Dave. Point well taken. The weight isn't a consideration. It's the butterfly that's unwieldy. Zipping and unzipping. Holds all my stuff though. How many of us are in search of the perfect case?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Lately I have been using somewhat of a hard shell Butterfly.

It has a top handle, side handle and a shoulder strap. Once opened, it has a well made nylon insert cue holder that will flop to the top or bottom of the case to retrieve your cues.

The insert is attached with Velcro so can be removed.

I got it off EBay. Made in Japan and came from Abu Dhabi.

I won the auction and approx $60 by DHL to me. That put it close to $300.

Has a combination lock on it as well.

I was going to buy a couple more to see if anyone else would like one. The subsequent auctions went for much more than I was willing to pay.

I asked the seller if there were any more. he told me that they were originally made in Japan and the maker was no longer making them.

Too bad because they would have suited many players tastes in a case.

The covering looks like it is carbon fiber, but only a very tough rubber like cover.

I also have a normal type Butterfly, the one that you most likely see around other than a JB Case.

I had no problem lugging it as it had a should strap. As far as protection, I figured with the thick lining, it wasn't going to damage the cues.

The only down side that there is with either the hard or soft shell if that one has to open it up across a chair or a pool table in order to retrieve your cues.

Whereas with a normal top opening case, you don't have to. I have played in a few close quarter tourneys and the top openers are good to keep the cues in while playing, just by leaning the case against a chair or wall.

I don't play in many out of town tourneys so never bothered buying a case travel cover. I thought this hard shell would be tough enuff so that the luggage handlers could do what they wanted with it and it would weather thru a trip.

I went to VNEA Vegas one year with a Sterling case and no travel cover. When I got it off the conveyer belt, I could see that it had a tougher trip than I did.

Oh well, a little shoe polish and it looked almost new again.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only down side that there is with either the hard or soft shell if that one has to open it up across a chair or a pool table in order to retrieve your cues.

Aha. Therein lies the problem. Very unwieldy. I'll spend my whole life searching for the perfect case. Hah.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I'll spend my whole life searching for the perfect case. Hah.

Yep. Kinda like searching for a wife ain't it.

Then you can spend the next half of your life wondering what you were thinking about.

Still a nice present to get. Give it a whack for awhile. If you happen to collect a few extra cues, it can be used as a storage case in the future.

Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
i like my 4x8 for roadtrips but not flights. The case just doesnt feel very protective to pack it into luggage. On the plus side, it does hold a tremendous amount of pool crap. I remember being in my teens and 20s and I played alot with a single shaft scruggs sneaky, using it to shoot and break with. I use to pack it into a 1x2 fellini. Had the tip tapper on my key chain, and that was all I felt I needed. I use to make fun of the guys who came and unpacked 4 cues, a cue holder and even their own chalk. Now, of course, ive become just like them, maybe even worse. I have a playing cue, break cue, jump cue, cue extender, bridge, jump bridge, another handle for the jump cue for longer jumps, three types of chalk, powder, the list goes on an on. As ive grown older and my eyes are growing weaker, im looking for any edge I can get against these eagle eyed 20 something superstars in the making. This is why I pack a freaking suitcase to the pool room and I dont care if its like moving into a new apt when I start to unpack my crapola when my match is called.

If any of this sounds like you, then I recommend a JB 4x8 Butterfly. He will even custom make pockets to hold special sized crap and put your name on it so everyone knows whose luggage this is that is blocking their way to the table.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried an instroke? I had one of the older ones - STUPIDLY heavy.

yes..lol I had them a long time ago and it was like carrying a vw with a strap around all day. They justis pro lite is lite enough ..I just have scrawny shoulders the leather strap bites into

theattendant

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not used a butterfly case yet, but I do notice nearly everyone I see with one looks at least a little inconvenienced by the need to lay it down to get their cues. I see the practicality if you have the need to carry so many cues to the pool hall, but really, how many do you need?

Donkin the 8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
check out Castillo leather goods. I picked up one of his 2x4 soft cases just to use at tourneys that last more than one day. the flowers case just too heavy to carry around all day long. the Castillo soft case is extremely high quality and super light