First Time Playing Cribbage

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played Cribbage for the first time last night and loved it. Have to see the patterns and know how to exactly control whitey to get shape for the next combo of 15. I'll get hammered for this but the concentration needed reminded me of one pocket play.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played cribbage as a teenager in my hometown...
...I'm glad you like it. Philly.

Still got your avatar....get one of your neighbor's kids to install it....
....that's what I do...:smile:

image.jpg

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played cribbage as a teenager in my hometown...
...I'm glad you like it. Philly.

Still got your avatar....get one of your neighbor's kids to install it....
....that's what I do...:smile:

View attachment 428104

Thanks PT. My sons a software engineer. I'll try to corral him. I'm thinking a Pat's cheesesteak though.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played Cribbage for the first time last night and loved it. Have to see the patterns and know how to exactly control whitey to get shape for the next combo of 15. I'll get hammered for this but the concentration needed reminded me of one pocket play.
For those with limited math skills you can play by matching colors with the 8 last.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking of using the game as a practice routine. It really demands a high level of concentration in pulling the patterns out of the table.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Okay...for those of us in the slightly "younger" generation...any idea if we can find the rules for cribbage online?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
A lt a cribbage was played in my room on Long Island in the up until 9 ball took over in all the poolrooms and 8 ball on the BB in bars. It was a cool game. Johnnyt

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Cribbage is a fun game. I play it sometimes with an older friend of mine.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't look right (from the wikipedia). It says if you fail to make a cribbage, it is a foul (no penalty of points, but ball spots up). However, then if further states 3 successive fouls is a loss of game. By that logic, if a player fails to make a cribbage in 3 successive innings, he loses the game. Is that right? If not, does anyone know how to fix a mistake in wikipedia.

Wikipedia text:

Rules of play[edit]
A cribbage only counts when the paired balls are pocketed in succession in the same inning. Where a player pockets a first paired ball and is thus on a cribbage, if the companion ball is not pocketed on the next stroke, the shot is a foul and the unpaired balls of any cribbages not completed are spotted to the foot spot. If the foot spot is occupied, balls are spotted as close as possible to the foot spot on the long string stretching back from the foot spot to the foot rail.[1][2][3]

The penalty for all fouls is the ending of the player's inning; no points are lost, and the incoming player has the option of shooting from position or taking cue ball in hand from the kitchen (behind the table's head string). In older rules a foul was a loss of one point. Three successive fouls in cribbage is a loss of game. Pocketing the 15 ball when it is not the last ball on the table is not a foul. Instead it is immediately spotted and play continues without penalty.[1][2][5][6]

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't look right (from the wikipedia). It says if you fail to make a cribbage, it is a foul (no penalty of points, but ball spots up). However, then if further states 3 successive fouls is a loss of game. By that logic, if a player fails to make a cribbage in 3 successive innings, he loses the game. Is that right? If not, does anyone know how to fix a mistake in wikipedia.

Wikipedia text:

Rules of play[edit]
A cribbage only counts when the paired balls are pocketed in succession in the same inning. Where a player pockets a first paired ball and is thus on a cribbage, if the companion ball is not pocketed on the next stroke, the shot is a foul and the unpaired balls of any cribbages not completed are spotted to the foot spot. If the foot spot is occupied, balls are spotted as close as possible to the foot spot on the long string stretching back from the foot spot to the foot rail.[1][2][3]

The penalty for all fouls is the ending of the player's inning; no points are lost, and the incoming player has the option of shooting from position or taking cue ball in hand from the kitchen (behind the table's head string). In older rules a foul was a loss of one point. Three successive fouls in cribbage is a loss of game. Pocketing the 15 ball when it is not the last ball on the table is not a foul. Instead it is immediately spotted and play continues without penalty.[1][2][5][6]

Sounds right to me. If you pot the 6 ball and fail to pot the 9 ball, the 6 gets spotted. We didn't play it as a foul though. The incoming player played the table as it laid so to speak.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

No Stanley from me. Cribbage is fun. Keeps the shooter on their toes. Good game.

Cheese steaks? Pudges on 202 rules the world.

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh I like this, made this awhile back
balls don't have to be pocketed any order up to 7 can be used for pegging straights, dbls, 15's, if your total is 31 you only get to peg one notch, if the 31 rule is effect.
can only peg if crib ball is pocketed, player up to shoot draws a crib number that crib ball must be pocketed in its round/inning.
crib.JPG

crib.1.JPG

crib.2.JPG

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is every ball considered an object ball? E.g., can a player legally contact the 15 first for a 15-1 combo then pursue the 14, or do you need to first contact one of the balls in the pair you're pursuing?

The 15 is the last ball on the table. You can use the 15 as in your scenario but it must remain on the table. If the 15 is sunk then it is spotted just as any other illegally potted ball is. there are probably a variety of local variations of this game just as there is in every other game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is every ball considered an object ball? E.g., can a player legally contact the 15 first for a 15-1 combo then pursue the 14, or do you need to first contact one of the balls in the pair you're pursuing?

I think there is no rule in cribbage about which ball must be struck first. Combinations, caroms, billiards, kisses, are all fine.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is no rule in cribbage about which ball must be struck first. Combinations, caroms, billiards, kisses, are all fine.

Think you are right Bob. You can also play safeties off of any ball as long as you do ball/rail as usual.