how are ya'll doing in league ?

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure I would even be playing apa if I had to play a traveling league on bar boxes. Just not my thing. There is enough options locally, I could find a different outlet for my pool.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
9 fter league

I wish we had 9 ft leagues here. Atleast we are lucky enough to have 10 diamond bar box the blue lable here at our local in house BCA league.

We don't have APA but i have played it before.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
I am not sure I would even be playing apa if I had to play a traveling league on bar boxes. Just not my thing. There is enough options locally, I could find a different outlet for my pool.
mcsock where do you live?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Barbox 9-ball is quick and dirty, so it's fun.
Barbox 8-ball is a completely different game than everything else, so it's interesting.
Next session I won't be playing 8-ball.

When I'm in New Orleans, I play on 9 footers. Everything out here, on the north shore, is all barboxes.

Banks

Banned
Rescheduled Sunday cuz of the Superbowl. Played last night and got lucky.. a 5 followed in the 8 on one shot and dogged an 8 in another rack, decent shooting altogether with 5-0 in 7 innings. The first rack, he fouled on an illegal break, so it went to me and I broke and ran. :sorry: Taking tonight off and then on to the last week of BCA playoffs where I think the team locked up their tier after last week. We'd have to bomb to miss it, I think. I hope they give me a fair slice of the money! :cool:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I very rarely actually try for 8 on the break, as I prefer to hit the head ball and try for better cue ball control, and a better spread.

Still, I give it a whirl now and again. Usually if im ahead and on the hill, I will try the second ball break. Always fun to win the match with an 8 on the break.

I have a small incentive to get one now. Our LO has an award he calls the Triple Play, for anyone who gets an 8 on the break, a break and run and a rack and run in one session. He had ball caps made for it, which is cooler than a patch, certainly. Not a big deal, but still kinda neat. Something to try for, anyway. No one in our Division got one last session, to the best of my knowledge. The SL7 on my team just need the 8 on the break...

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mcsock where do you live?

Southern Califorina. Ventura Ca. Pool Hall here has 8b and 9b in house on 9ft tables. Oxnard 10mile away has even more in house leagues and they run in house bca also. No need for me to worry about bar boxes

Last edited:

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please understand, I am not anti-bar boxes. I would just rather play on 9ft tables. The bar boxes support tons of leagues players and are a plus to pool. They bring people into the game. I just would rather not play on them.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heading tonight to round two of our triceps,which was originally supposed to be at the tournament Venue, Breakers in Pittsburgh. I was supposed to be round 1 at one of the teams locations (we ended up being th home team for that,and won), and the quarters, semis and finals at Breakers, over 2 days. well, We got snowed/chilled out 2 weeks ago. now they want us to play our quarter final matchup at our opponents' location,with the semis and finals this Saturday, while I'll be at work, again. So lame. I almost don't want us to win tonight.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very rarely actually try for 8 on the break, as I prefer to hit the head ball and try for better cue ball control, and a better spread.

Still, I give it a whirl now and again. Usually if im ahead and on the hill, I will try the second ball break. Always fun to win the match with an 8 on the break.

I have a small incentive to get one now. Our LO has an award he calls the Triple Play, for anyone who gets an 8 on the break, a break and run and a rack and run in one session. He had ball caps made for it, which is cooler than a patch, certainly. Not a big deal, but still kinda neat. Something to try for, anyway. No one in our Division got one last session, to the best of my knowledge. The SL7 on my team just need the 8 on the break...

The second-ball break is surprisingly repeatable with regard to moving the 8 toward the side pocket. That Triple Play thing sounds like a neat incentive... the kind of goofy thing I'd dig.

When I played APA last, I got to be around a 15-20% favorite to make the 8 on the break on the worn cloth, wide pocket Valleys in the bar we played at. I practiced that break because they had scotch doubles handicapped tournaments, and with my wife as a partner (a sl2) and me playing as a sl6 at the time, we'd usually need 2 games only to win our matches. Lots of times we would win matches based on getting the 8 on the break and getting on the hill. :)

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please understand, I am not anti-bar boxes. I would just rather play on 9ft tables. The bar boxes support tons of leagues players and are a plus to pool. They bring people into the game. I just would rather not play on them.

Understood :thumbup:

Barboxes are not my first choice, but they are fun for league play. I'd be willing to bet that 60%+ of our division couldn't play on a 9 footer. There were complaints about the 9 footers recently when our tricups were announced at a new pool hall, Lacey's Cue. The tricups were played on the 15 or so diamond barboxes, but they also have 16-17 diamond 9 footers and a bigfoot table too.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Barboxes are not my first choice, but they are fun for league play. I'd be willing to bet that 60%+ of our division couldn't play on a 9 footer. There were complaints about the 9 footers recently when our tricups were announced at a new pool hall, Lacey's Cue. The tricups were played on the 15 or so diamond barboxes, but they also have 16-17 diamond 9 footers and a bigfoot table too.

It is a pain in the arse not having uniformity of tables in league, especially for APA higher level tournaments. In my division, different places have different size tables (one place has 4 teams between a 9-foot and a BB). The higher tournaments are played at a pool hall with 9' tables, which I feel give an advantage to teams whose home table is a 9'. Then Nationals goes back to BBs (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Banks

Banned

Most people are used to the barboxes and matches can really drag out when played on the big tables, with that being more likely when you have several matches being played at the same time(like for tricups). I prefer the small table as that's what I primarily play on. Well, maybe it's just that I prefer 8b. :confused:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people are used to the barboxes and matches can really drag out when played on the big tables, with that being more likely when you have several matches being played at the same time(like for tricups). I prefer the small table as that's what I primarily play on. Well, maybe it's just that I prefer 8b. :confused:

In my opinion it should either all be on barboxes or all on 9 footers. There should not be an in between. Now, that does limit where teams would play, but it would be better.

Going from a 9' to a barbox for 9ball is a joke. 8ball is different story.

Banks

Banned
In my opinion it should either all be on barboxes or all on 9 footers. There should not be an in between. Now, that does limit where teams would play, but it would be better.

Going from a 9' to a barbox for 9ball is a joke. 8ball is different story.

As long as people know that they'll have to eventually play on barboxes. As for the barbox 9b being a joke.. lots of people say that until you ask them how many racks they can run. :eek:

I prefer the barboxes too...but that's because I am like 5'6"

I prefer barboxes because they're in bars. :thumbup:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i guess i am different than most guys. it don't matter what tables i play on cause i am doin what i enjoy...shooting pool:D

my sunday night team rotates between 9's and bar tables because we got more teams than tables available. yea it kida gets monotonous watching 2-2's bang balls around for 40 innings on a 9'er but hey i been guilty of it myself when i get in a defensive battle like last sunday. we were on the 9's and i won 4-2 in 45 innings lol. that was a loooonnnngggg game.

i look at it this way...i olay 3 nights a week...soon to be 4 again. if i play 1 night on a good valley, 1 night on a crappy valley and 1 night on a 9' .....well sooner or later its got to make me a better all around player.

as i heard a long time ago. to be good you got to adapt to your environment and table conditions. yea there is sometimes i get pissed when a ball hits a dead rail or it veers off to one side or the other but i just shrug it off. besides it feels good to beat someone on their home turf that knows the tables better than i.:smile:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as people know that they'll have to eventually play on barboxes. As for the barbox 9b being a joke.. lots of people say that until you ask them how many racks they can run. :eek:

What I meant was...

Go play all day on a 9 footer, then go to a barbox. It's a joke, it's too easy lol.

I played 9-ball for 6 hours on a 9ft diamond with 4" pockets and came back home and hopped on a diamond barbox with 4.5" pockets. Making the shots was effortless.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I meant was...

Go play all day on a 9 footer, then go to a barbox. It's a joke, it's too easy lol.

I played 9-ball for 6 hours on a 9ft diamond with 4" pockets and came back home and hopped on a diamond barbox with 4.5" pockets. Making the shots was effortless.

i agree playing on a 9 for a while and switching to a 7 will seem like its easier to pocket balls....but break and runs are easier on 9's due to the clusters you encounter on bar boxes. ...especially 9 ball.

as i have said before my team plays on 9's a couple of times a session. my g/f who is a 3 has 2 9 ball break and runs on 9's in the last 2 sessions and has never made one on a bar box.

Banks

Banned
What I meant was...

Then how many racks do you string on the barbox? The shots themselves may be easier.. heck, the game may be a little easier, but not that many people are going to step onto a barbox and start running out like a pro. To me, it's like people that complain about APA rules but can barely run a rack even with slop. Barboxes may be 'easier' to shoot on, but most people still aren't getting out.

Skiing is much more realistic. People don't line up for the double blacks when they can't make it down the Intermediates without falling down. Pool has no such reality check.. well, I guess, except for gambling.