My Touch of Inside Experience

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the same diagram rotated so the CB's path is straight ahead and the stick is angled for squirt (how we usually visualize it). Now the distance from the "visual center" of the CB to the actual tip/ball contact point is equal to the "torque line" from the CB's center of mass to the stick's "squirted force vector" - and correlates with the amount of spin and squirt created, as before.

pj
chgo

I thought it would be closer to the green line (actually should have extended it from the contact point).

extended%20line_zpsgjkkzz0g.jpg

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip offset vs torque line

If a shift is parallel to the reference aim line then the tip offset on the surface of the ball is EQUAL to the torque line. The torque line is measured from the center of mass of the ball. In this case the torque line is LESS than the tip offset because the shift is not truly parallel. The tip offset is more than the torque line meaning the cueing line will eventually converge with the reference aim line. CJ described his shift as parallel but with the butt leading with the tip lagging.

Other descriptions from him talk about using only "a hair" of inside. Quite simply he shifted the cue only a minuscule amount but never wants to have the cue aimed divergently, or away from the reference line. From that point he tries to avoid any action that would spin the ball. He blunt hits through contact trying to apply a "felt sense" amount of deflection depending on shot distance, speed and position requirements. He deflects the cue ball onto a convergent path. By shading the cue line slightly laterally, deflection is guaranteed. That deflection will create a shot path that crosses the original aim line (converges).

When you realize that torque line length determines the actual amount of side, not the amount of tip offset, you also "real eyes" that you don’t need to develop a feel for how to deliver different amounts of deflection, to connect to the pocket. When simple cueing can create the convergent line without needing to develop a feel for different amounts of deflection, a consistent cue delivery can be used instead.

The acid test for that stroke is the reaction of the cue ball off contact. On all shots where the object ball is cut, the cue ball has no side spin off contact. The length of the torque line determines that reaction. The second part of the test is that the cueing line used must converge with the original reference line in addition to creating a very small torque line. With both conditions met the tip offset is always larger than the torque line.

The real secret to making this work is finding the right combination of original aim line and convergent cueing line. I plan to reveal the key to using this cueing method in the next few months. It is designed to use with any aiming system that generates a ghost ball center ball line as the original reference line.

This explanation is simply meant to provide insight into what CJ was trying to describe and why it was a "feel" system, as played by him.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, the CB only "feels" the force transmitted by the stick, not the angle of the stick itself.

pj
chgo

I don't think so. When applying BHE, which you appear to be illustrating here. You line up the stick as you would to shoot straight at the ghost ball, and then pivot it. Once you make that pivot, the force felt by the cue ball will be from a line parallel to the stick and though center mass, as illustrated here with the green arrow. The cue ball feels this force without any reference to the object ball, only to the distance from its center mass.

backhand%20english%20offset_zpsclllvhuj.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You line up the stick as you would to shoot straight at the ghost ball, and then pivot it. Once you make that pivot, the force felt by the cue ball will be from a line parallel to the stick and though center mass
Sorry, but this is simply wrong. The force felt by the CB - a combination of forward stick momentum and sideways squirt - is in the direction the CB goes, which with side spin is not parallel with the stick. And, of course it can't be through center mass or there would be no spin.

And, by the way, I'm not illustrating BHE or any particularly kind of squirt compensation - they all end up in the same place.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry, but this is simply wrong. The force felt by the CB - a combination of forward stick momentum and sideways squirt - is in the direction the CB goes, which with side spin is not parallel with the stick. And, of course it can't be through center mass or there would be no spin.

And, by the way, I'm not illustrating BHE or any particularly kind of squirt compensation - they all end up in the same place.

pj
chgo
Here's something I've posted before illustrating how the force from different shafts at different squirt correction angles has the same physical effect on the CB. The effective tip offset (what you called the "torque line") determines the amount of spin.

If we disregard the stick's angle and simply think of the CB's center as being in line with its direction of travel, then the amount of tip offset ("torque line") is visible for any cue.

Obviously (I hope) the "no squirt" cue is theoretical.

pj
chgo

P.S. The direction of the stick's transmitted force (what you called the "TOI line") is always parallel with the CB's movement - it's what makes the CB go in that direction - so "convergence" is impossible.

Attachments

• squirt vector.jpg
    squirt vector.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it's more like this....there is more than just one simple force at work here. The distance between cb center mass and shaft center mass factors into the squirt angle. You can see in the "high squirt" shot how angles 1, 2, and 3 add up to 90°, and angle 3 is the squirt angle relative to the direction of of the shaft.

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry so sloppy. No fancy software available.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I believe it's more like this....there is more than just one simple force at work here.
I don't see the difference. What forces do you think the CB "feels" besides the stick's forward momentum and squirt - which combine into a single force through the CB?

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see the difference. What forces do you think the CB "feels" besides the stick's forward momentum and squirt - which combine into a single force through the CB?

pj
chgo

I'd say it feels at least 2 separate forces (the force from cue tip impact that heads straight to its core, and the friction between itself and the cue tip trying to push it along the stroke path). The cb then moves according to the direction and strength of these forces. The end result is one cb direction, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cb only feels one force. If we were cue balls we'd know, like getting knocked off balance -- we can feel our body moving back and to the side at the same time. I think my biggest feeling, if I were a cb, would be the feeling that I get used and abused all too often! Lol

Valiant Thor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toi

Has anyone ever met Patrick Johnson in person or seen him play? Has anyone taken lessons from him? Has over 18,000 post on az but only criticism for what others are doing and why they are wrong.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'd say it feels at least 2 separate forces (the force from cue tip impact that heads straight to its core, and the friction between itself and the cue tip trying to push it along the stroke path). The cb then moves according to the direction and strength of these forces.
Do you think the combined forces don't act on the CB as if they're a single force emanating from the contact point parallel with the CB's direction of travel, as I show it?

pj
chgo

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Did you look at my drawing? I did not say it went through center mass. I said it was the distance between the line of the stick and a parallel line through center mass.

If you are not showing BHE English, what does the vertical orientation of the crosshairs on the cue ball represent?

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's something I've posted before illustrating how the force from different shafts at different squirt correction angles has the same physical effect on the CB. The effective tip offset (what you called the "torque line") determines the amount of spin.

If we disregard the stick's angle and simply think of the CB's center as being in line with its direction of travel, then the amount of tip offset ("torque line") is visible for any cue.

Obviously (I hope) the "no squirt" cue is theoretical.

pj
chgo

P.S. The direction of the stick's transmitted force (what you called the "TOI line") is always parallel with the CB's movement - it's what makes the CB go in that direction - so "convergence" is impossible.

I cannot make sense of this drawing. In the no squirt example you are showing a stick offset from the center of the cue ball by a full tip diameter and calling it "no squirt". How does that work?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think the combined forces don't act on the CB as if they're a single force emanating from the contact point parallel with the CB's direction of travel, as I show it?

pj
chgo

Nope. I believe what you're show is the result of a combination of forces that emanate from the contact point.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever met Patrick Johnson in person or seen him play? Has anyone taken lessons from him? Has over 18,000 post on az but only criticism for what others are doing and why they are wrong.

I have. He's a good player and a good person to hang out with.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot make sense of this drawing. In the no squirt example you are showing a stick offset from the center of the cue ball by a full tip diameter and calling it "no squirt". How does that work?

He is saying that if you had a zero deflection shaft that is what the alignment would be.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The end result is one cb direction, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cb only feels one force.
Nope. I believe what you're show is the result of a combination of forces that emanate from the contact point.
Saying the CB "feels" one force is a shorthand way of saying it "reacts as if there's" one force.

On a side note, you say there are two forces as I do, but your second force is a force through the CB's center (like when two balls collide) whereas mine is squirt. I don't believe the force through the CB's center is significant unless there's little to no friction between the objects (as in ball/ball contact). But conversely, with tip/ball contact there's little to no slippage between the objects - I think this virtually eliminates that "carom" force.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

He is saying that if you had a zero deflection shaft that is what the alignment would be.
Right - and why I said, "Obviously (I hope) the "no squirt" cue is theoretical."

I'm also saying the CB "acts as if" you're hitting it with a no-squirt cue pointed straight ahead, regardless of the cue's orientation.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Did you look at my drawing? I did not say it went through center mass. I said it was the distance between the line of the stick and a parallel line through center mass.
I guess I misread your comment - but it's wrong anyway. Tip offset ("torque line") isn't measured from the contact point to a line through centerball parallel with the stick - it's measured from the contact point to a line through centerball parallel with the CB's direction.

If you are not showing BHE English, what does the vertical orientation of the crosshairs on the cue ball represent?
BHE (backhand English) is just one method for finding the correct cue angle to compensate for squirt - there are other methods that do the same thing. My illustration just shows a cue angled to correct for squirt - it doesn't suggest how it got there (BHE or some other method).

pj
chgo

P.S. Even TOI must put the cue on the same line that BHE puts it on - or the shot will miss.

Last edited: