• No

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • BasementDweller is an idiot!

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Pretty much all I play on most of the tourneys are all bar table I wish there was more big table events cuz I love big table

bquiggle

Registered
Yep

play on bar tables because that's all there are in town.
But one day a week when I make a grocer,y run play on 9'er at the College (30 miles away)

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice on 9 footers, 7 days a week, at least 4 hours a day. All tournament matches I play are on barboxes though

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not recently, 9' here in AZ (and a 10' snooker table) over size 8' at home
and 9' diamonds at Moonshine Matts place.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play 8 ball (APA) on the bar tables (in pool halls and bars), 9 ball (APA) on 9 foot tables (in pool halls), and I practice on whatever I can. The size of bar tables is fun to play on, but the condition of some of them is another matter. The other night I played on one that had coasters under the legs to level it and the table still leaned a little to one side.

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to play on bar boxes, that's the only thing close to me. So I bought one or my garage to practice on as well. I wish there was a pool hall with 8 & 9 footers closer than 50+ miles away...

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll probably bump this thread a few times just to get some good numbers.

I think it's interesting to see what percentage of AZ'ers spend some of their time playing on bar tables.

It does seem like everybody feels like they have to apologize, or justify their bar box play. I'm starting to wonder if this is done more because of the stigma of
the bar box than it is because players really don't like playing on them.

I can honestly say I enjoy playing on either the bar table or the big table. I wish I could compete more on the 9 footers but it's just not in the cards presently.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
With more and more rooms and tournaments going to 7' tables and the ones in the pool rooms should lose the pay by game crap. IMO more or the better players in the pool room would jump on them more if they were an hourly rate like the nines. In any case the day of the 7' table is here. Johnnyt

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I play 95% on 9 footers but occasionally I gamble at a barbershop once or twice a week for cheap sets like race to 3 for $20. It always helps playing on the 9 footer one night then going to the bar box the next day, you feel like you can't miss any shots.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About half and half between 8' and bar box ....

* wish I had started this crap earlier *

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I drive 78 miles round trip to play on a Brunswick centennial 9'. Rarely do I put quarters in a Valley...no diamond bar tables near me.

Like somebody who posted earlier, I don't like the bar scene where I live...the only pros around those tables are the meth whores...

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
im not very good, im a B player at best bc i only play sparingly and like most of us have responsibility that takes us away from our obsession, but i do play in a bar table occasionally and usually im drinking and trying to get laid. but I tell you what, I can beat the bar crowd all night and can do it again tomorrow. its hard to explain to a non playing pool player but you guys would understand, it gives me great pleasure knowing I learned a game well enough that ill never lose to another non pool playing person again for the rest of my life. I get that wow factor reserved for the pros. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im not very good, im a B player at best bc i only play sparingly and like most of us have responsibility that takes us away from our obsession, but i do play in a bar table occasionally and usually im drinking and trying to get laid. but I tell you what, I can beat the bar crowd all night and can do it again tomorrow. its hard to explain to a non playing pool player but you guys would understand, it gives me great pleasure knowing I learned a game well enough that ill never lose to another non pool playing person again for the rest of my life. I get that wow factor reserved for the pros. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after keeping the table one night from the time i walked in untill they closed i had some one ask if i gave lessons. i am only an apa 5 lol.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Bar boxes are the last refuge for us old farts. Even I can see the other end.

Can't believe there are several votes for choice #3. Oh well, you designed the poll ;) !

Lyn

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
OMG, league night must take FOOOOEVVVVA!

Not really.

We start at 7, and start playing on a second table (two matches concurrently) at 9. Done between 10:30 and 11. Occasionally earlier, once in a while later (playoffs, when we don't always get the second table going as early due to the strategy of making your throws based on how the match is going).

It works well here.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Bar boxes are the last refuge for us old farts. Even I can see the other end.

Can't believe there are several votes for choice #3. Oh well, you designed the poll ;) !

Lyn

I bet that's what you always tell your unsuspecting victims.

One last bump for just a few more votes. Looks like at least 70% of us play some serious pool on bar tables. That number is higher than I thought.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I bet that's what you always tell your unsuspecting victims.

Chris,

Have we met? How do you know how I play? You've been talking to my victims eh :thumbup: ?

Seriously, the bar box has recently been the "savior" of pool. Both from the league and tournament side of the game. My guess is there is more money bet on the small table every day than on the bigger versions in a week. Just a guess. It's a sad story but.... without the BB, my belief is the game would really be dead!

Lyn