sportsmanship question.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thought was, what league would allow a player to play on 2 different teams in the same event? My advice.....play in a different league
Not dumb at all; if someone’s on two teams different nights, and both teams qualify for the tourney.

then if the teams progress and play each other, the player can gamble and choose either team or sit out. If they sit out, they advance with the team that won.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only person who thinks it is odd for one player to be on 2 teams? What happens when those teams play each other?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only person who thinks it is odd for one player to be on 2 teams? What happens when those teams play each other?

Many people around here play on more than one team. I know of at least one captain that has 4 teams and at least one of those 4 goes to nationals every year or at least every other year.

I myself play on 2 teams. Apa has what is called a common player rule. When 2 teams face each other that has one or more players that play on those 2 teams they are called common players and can not play for either team. You can only use players that do not play for either team.. one way of looking at it is no matter which team wins you are still moving on.

The opposing team in question in this thread used poor judgement in bringing few players ...or perhaps some players chose not to come to the tournament.

As stated earlier.....only 3 members could play and had to not go over 14. This team in question only brought 3-4's ...a 3 and a 7. 5 players out of an 8 player team had they brought the entire team they had several options. This team did not bring their 6...5..or another 3. This captain made the mistake of throwing a player that he knew played on another team and did not check to see if he was available before he threw him . I always check to see if a player is available before throwing him. I brought my entire team with every one knowing that only 3 were playing and what 3 that played would be based on the results of each match and who the other team threw. The farther along we moved the more likely that every one would play eventually . As has been said before ....this type of scenario is not for every one due to sitting around knowing you may or may not play but I pick my players that share the same attitude that we are a team and we win or lose as a team.

My 2 teams consist of 4 common players and in the event they faced each other it would result in the other 4 players facing each other and the winner moves on.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
kinda interesting

First off, as so often PT is right. The LO is making the big bucks, if he or she is available let them make the call. However, the monkey has been flung on your back. Assuming that all on your team are equals, I might consult the team. If even one says the other team forfeits, forfeit it would! Making the decision myself, it might not be the one I like but I would force the other team to forfeit. As the captain of the team my job is to do what is best for my team within the rules. Breaking a rule and perhaps harming my team isn't performing my duties as captain of the team.

In singles play in a tournament I have more than once told someone they didn't call the pocket on the money ball just to see the deer in the headlights look before laughing and telling them I knew where they were shooting for. If someone doesn't call a more complex shot such as a bank I will warn them and let it go, ... once!

Hu

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Shouldn't a team captain be sure his guy is actually available to play before he names him as the next player?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High level tournament??? Follow the official rules always. Why??? Because your decision involves not just you but all the other members on your team who have worked hard to get to this level. Try doing that in any other sport...lol

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people around here play on more than one team. I know of at least one captain that has 4 teams and at least one of those 4 goes to nationals every year or at least every other year.

I myself play on 2 teams. Apa has what is called a common player rule. When 2 teams face each other that has one or more players that play on those 2 teams they are called common players and can not play for either team. You can only use players that do not play for either team.. one way of looking at it is no matter which team wins you are still moving on.

The opposing team in question in this thread used poor judgement in bringing few players ...or perhaps some players chose not to come to the tournament.

As stated earlier.....only 3 members could play and had to not go over 14. This team in question only brought 3-4's ...a 3 and a 7. 5 players out of an 8 player team had they brought the entire team they had several options. This team did not bring their 6...5..or another 3. This captain made the mistake of throwing a player that he knew played on another team and did not check to see if he was available before he threw him . I always check to see if a player is available before throwing him. I brought my entire team with every one knowing that only 3 were playing and what 3 that played would be based on the results of each match and who the other team threw. The farther along we moved the more likely that every one would play eventually . As has been said before ....this type of scenario is not for every one due to sitting around knowing you may or may not play but I pick my players that share the same attitude that we are a team and we win or lose as a team.

My 2 teams consist of 4 common players and in the event they faced each other it would result in the other 4 players facing each other and the winner moves on.

Interesting. It has been years since I was in a league but my answer to your original question is it depends on whether the other team sought to gain some sort of advantage by listing the player twice. If he was trying to get slick then I'd make him pay the price and take a forfeit win. If it was an honest mistake I'd give him a pass.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Leagues were supposed to be fun social events. I realize most are full of people that take it too seriously, but I'd let them change their player and play the game.

I know plenty of people who would not, and it is why I only play single leagues now.

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago when I played league I would have consulted with my teammates who would have most likely allowed the player change.

These days i have to admit, I'm more inclined to stick to the rules. I dont shoot league and haven't for years.......but what if you touched a ball while reaching over it the bridge on your next shot? I bet a foul would be called or the rules would be followed then!

So these days I'm in the camp either the rules are followed all the time or they are not! I'll say I'm not a stickler for rules, I enjoy the game.....I'll play by the same rules my opponent plays!

Happy Shooting!

Sent from my mobular device!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the league operator is not doing his job.
....it should be his decision with no pressure on any player.
Like when your opponent is 35 minutes late (forfeit at 15) and the TD comes to you and starts whining about maybe you could be nice and the guy didn't understand how to read the board and why don't you play the match anyway and everyone will think your a crock of dog poo if you take the forfeit. And now it's no longer the other player's problem, it's yours.

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised someone hasn't looked at the APA Rule Book. In the Team Manual under Rule 11, it states that, "Once both teams have declared a player, the players cannot be changed unless a team's choice of player will cause the team to violate the Team Skill Level Limit rule or the Limited Senior Skill Level Limit rule." It appears that, under the rule, the choices cannot be changed once BOTH teams have declared a player. The implication is that until the second team has selected a player to complete the matchup, the first team selecting is free to change it's mind. This makes sense. If the first team selecting changes it's mind, so long as the second team has not made a corresponding selection, there is no competitive advantage in the first team changing it's mind. The second team still gets to react however it wishes.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not dumb at all; if someone’s on two teams different nights, and both teams qualify for the tourney.

then if the teams progress and play each other, the player can gamble and choose either team or sit out. If they sit out, they advance with the team that won.

Good point. Hadn't considered that.