Lateral Epicondylitis aka Tennis Elbow screwing up my game!

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I can't break worth a damn or even put a good draw stroke on the ball.

This will be my explanation for my bad playing for next few months.

Feel free to incorporate this excuse into your pool world excuses as well.

Merry Christmas!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My list is awful long, there may be just
enough room for one more.
Get your P.T. on and you will be good as new.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Physical therapy.
Vaginal desalination.
Undergarment sand extraction.
A switch from g-string to large lace granny panties.

All viable solutions.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I can't break worth a damn or even put a good draw stroke on the ball.

I have it in my bridging shoulder. I miscued on a break last night and from then on I just decided to let my opponent break instead. Still got the cash but I did complain the whole time. :D

Merry "Thank you for paying my bar-tab", Christmas.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
hurt a long time!

I got tennis elbow. Since I didn't quit playing pool it lasted a couple years. Generally laughed off, it can be quite painful!

Hu

follownoone

Registered
I had it for over half of a year and it changed how I gripped the cue and forced me to play beteter position. Draw shots were the most painfull. I actually played a few weeks left handed at one point it bothered me that much. I worried it would not go away but it did. Try a wrap it helped.

follownoone

Registered
I had it for over half of a year and it changed how I gripped the cue and forced me to play better position. Draw shots were the most painfull. I actually played a few weeks left handed at one point it bothered me that much. I worried it would not go away but it did. Try a wrap it helped.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fastest way to get rid of it is to quit playing until it heals naturally. Then start to pick up the game again.

The course of least time to playing well again is to quit playing and change to practice only without breaking.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few things you can do. A steroid injection is a quick way to calm down the inflammation and reduce the pain, but if you keep doing what inflamed it in the first place, it will return. The next step is to get into physical therapy for stretching and strengthening of the common extensor tendon. It is a very slow process (6-12 month). You don't have to be in PT that whole time, but you will have to do the exercises on a daily basis, probably indefinitely. There are some other options (PRP injections, stem cells, surgical debridement, Tenex), but the results are not great. Best of luck!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have fisherman's elbow. I'm right handed and it's in my bridge, (left), arm so not much bother playing pool.
I cast right-handed then switch rod to my left hand for fishing. Hurts like hell to hold the rod when I hook a good 'un.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Carpal tunnel is doing bad things to my game (30yr computer & electronics tech)....my left wrist has it worse (my bridge hand), and its pretty painful....surgery is the only fix....and I haven't had the nerve yet. I wish PT could fix it. :( Best of luck, man!

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
pro tip

I have fisherman's elbow. I'm right handed and it's in my bridge, (left), arm so not much bother playing pool.
I cast right-handed then switch rod to my left hand for fishing. Hurts like hell to hold the rod when I hook a good 'un.

OK, not a pro tip but I spent hundreds of hours a year on the water for years. Are you using a baitcasting reel? My brother is left handed, casts righty. After watching him fish and talking to him I swapped out to all "left handed" bait casting reels. Can't even guess how many fish I caught because I was ready to set the hook instead of being in the middle of swapping hands when my bait hit the water. Especially attack fish, Freshwater bass, redfish, flounder, all of the attack fish. If you hit really close to a fish you often get a panic strike too.

It would feel unnatural to fish any other way now. My fishing partner used spinning reels. As usual fishing salt we were both using two rods. Action was fast and furious and we ended up with both of us trying to reel in fish on the other's spare rod. It was so unnatural for both we damned near threw the rods at each other!

All my old favorite marsh holes are open water now. Boated fifty-five redfish between three of us one day and shook off many more at the boat with the limits on redfish and bull reds we were working with a half inch slot by the end of the day. Good times!

Hu

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, not a pro tip but I spent hundreds of hours a year on the water for years. Are you using a baitcasting reel? My brother is left handed, casts righty. After watching him fish and talking to him I swapped out to all "left handed" bait casting reels. Can't even guess how many fish I caught because I was ready to set the hook instead of being in the middle of swapping hands when my bait hit the water. Especially attack fish, Freshwater bass, redfish, flounder, all of the attack fish. If you hit really close to a fish you often get a panic strike too.

It would feel unnatural to fish any other way now. My fishing partner used spinning reels. As usual fishing salt we were both using two rods. Action was fast and furious and we ended up with both of us trying to reel in fish on the other's spare rod. It was so unnatural for both we damned near threw the rods at each other!

All my old favorite marsh holes are open water now. Boated fifty-five redfish between three of us one day and shook off many more at the boat with the limits on redfish and bull reds we were working with a half inch slot by the end of the day. Good times!

Hu
Yes, baitcasters. I use all Ambassadeurs, cast right then swap rod to my left hand. All fishing done in Alabama - bass, stripers and hybrid stripes. I do have a left-handed reel that I flip with keeping the rod in my left, reel with my right.
Back to the elbow, the Ace arm band worn below the elbow is a huge help as well as home PT.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read all the posts
i have had a bad case of tennis elbow
you have to shut it down for 2-3 months maybe longer
jmho

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
doing the opposite

Yes, baitcasters. I use all Ambassadeurs, cast right then swap rod to my left hand. All fishing done in Alabama - bass, stripers and hybrid stripes. I do have a left-handed reel that I flip with keeping the rod in my left, reel with my right.
Back to the elbow, the Ace arm band worn below the elbow is a huge help as well as home PT.

I cast right handed or both handed, reel left handed. Very natural to do and the only way to fly for me. Six and a half foot rod, left hand retrieve baitcaster cast right handed fills almost all of my needs.

I was working a job as a mechanical designer. Four and a half days a week when I was staring out the window I might be working my butt off or daydreaming. Friday afternoon unless there was a fire to put out I was planning my saturday fishing trip and which honey holes I was hitting. Worked so good I did the same thing on the next job. My bosses were happy with the amount and quality of work I put out so I got away with Friday afternoons being me time most of the time. Got to where they apologized if they had to interrupt me!:thumbup:

Hu

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they are helpful
but they are like taping your ankle when you have an ankle sprain so you can play.
they dont heal the injury
only rest will do that (there is prp injections/cortisone injections etc but that should be discussed with an orthopedist)
if you want to be pain free for a long time you need to let it heal
jmho
The nice thing about these is they attach below the strain site and stop shock/vibration from ever going that far. I had TE and was able to play golf with no ill effects. Go to any golf course and you can almost tell how old a guy is based on whether he's wearing one or not. I keep one in my bag but haven't needed it in 3-4yrs.