Side Pocket Angle Question

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me first say that I have NEVER asked this question before.

Let me also say if anyone plans on making any rude, stupid, insulting, bashing comments about this - PLEASE DONT! JUST DONT DO IT. STOP! LET THIS GO! QUIT TYPING! AZB DOESNT NEED THIS!

So here goes:

Is there any kind of angle that is considered normal for the side pockets? My mechanic is coming down tomorrow night (Wednesday) and putting on new Powder Blue 860. He is also enlarging my side pockets just slightly. I am wondering what kind of angle the pocket facings should have. Is there something that is typically considering standard?

r/DCP

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can check the BCA website for their specs. I believe side pocket is 5 1/2 inches give or take an eighth of an inch either way . Diamond side pocket specs are 5 inches at the mouth and 104° pocket facing angle. What is the mouth width of the side pockets on your current table? The standard side pocket facing angle I believe is generally about 105°. I don’t think I’d suggest changing that.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Let me also say if anyone plans on making any rude, stupid, insulting, bashing comments about this - PLEASE DONT! JUST DONT DO IT. STOP! LET THIS GO! QUIT TYPING! AZB DOESNT NEED THIS!

r/DCP

You sure got stupid out of the way.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very good question.The BCA does have standards for this as was stated in a prior response. With that information, you may want to discuss this with your mechanic before he/she arrives because the changes may require additional materials.

Good luck. My experience has been very few players understand these nuances.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Are you planning to leave the house to play any this year?

Or is that considered rude to ask?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am wondering what kind of angle the pocket facings should have. Is there something that is typically considering standard?
WPA Pocket Specifications:

https://wpapool.com/equipment-specifications/#Pocket-Openings-and-Measurements

"The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1)."

The basic idea is that the pocket facings should not be parallel with each other (that would make pocketing too easy), but should be wider at the mouth. Here's what a 142° facing angle looks like compared to parallel facings (135°). (Specs for side pockets are 104° - parallel would be 90°.)

pj
chgo

pocket angles - corner.jpg

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So here goes:

Is there any kind of angle that is considered normal for the side pockets? My mechanic is coming down tomorrow night (Wednesday) and putting on new Powder Blue 860. He is also enlarging my side pockets just slightly. I am wondering what kind of angle the pocket facings should have. Is there something that is typically considering standard?

r/DCP

If you have a table mechanic coming to do the work, would he not know this? If not maybe you should have him just clean the floors and get another guy to work on the table. If I was bringing my car into the shop I would not be online asking what I should tell him to do, that's the reason I am using his expertise. If I think the person working on my stuff is incompetent I would find another place.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The guy doing his table work is top notch and the table is set up fine.

Sometimes it's the gun, most often the shooter.

If you have a table mechanic coming to do the work, would he not know this? If not maybe you should have him just clean the floors and get another guy to work on the table. If I was bringing my car into the shop I would not be online asking what I should tell him to do, that's the reason I am using his expertise. If I think the person working on my stuff is incompetent I would find another place.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
the answer may lie in the ask a mechanic sub section if you search there

olhausen is the only one ive ever seen a complaint about, , makes it harder to pocket, should be what youd want id think,

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
WPA Pocket Specifications:

https://wpapool.com/equipment-specifications/#Pocket-Openings-and-Measurements

"The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1)."

The basic idea is that the pocket facings should not be parallel with each other (that would make pocketing too easy), but should be wider at the mouth. Here's what a 142° facing angle looks like compared to parallel facings (135°). (Specs for side pockets are 104° - parallel would be 90°.)

pj
chgo

View attachment 554881
I mention the side pocket specs above, but I didn't have a drawing of it, so here's one now.

WPA side pocket specs call for 104° (yellow lines below). [Note: The pocket in the pic (clipped from VP4) has facing angles of about 98° - "too easy" by WPA specs.]

pj
chgo

pocket angles - side.jpg

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So here goes:

r/DCP
I am restoring a table right now and my goal was to do 141° corners and 102° sides. Those numbers are right in the middle of BCA specs and what Diamond tables are set at. But you also need a good down angle, mine was at 7-8° down and I went to 12°.

Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member