World Snooker Championships 2020

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s called Negative play and Selby is Mr Negative of snooker. Never liked him. I think 2 frames this session Ronnie winning the frames and Selby need few snookers but Selby won’t concede and carrying on psy war to continue playing.
The rule should be changed to only allow play to continue if only 1 snooker required. If more than 1 snooker required, frame should be awarded to player leading :)

I won`t call it negative snooker. In my eyes it is pure matchplay snooker and an intelligent way to battle against someone like Ronnie.

And the scrappyness of the frames isn`t only Selby`s fault. Ronnie is in a difficult situation, because he knows that Selby`s safety play is stronger, so he tries to open up the reds early, which often results in more difficult position play and long pots.
But this hampers his own flow and leads to many bad decisions on Ronnies side.

Anyway, surprisingly it doesn`t look to bad for Ronnie after the third session and I wonder how the match will go on this evening.
If Ronnie can make up his mind and accept the longer frames and fights for every point he has a chance. But I don`t think he will get the chance to knock in one or two big breaks to find his rhythm to trade blows with Selby.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rule should be changed to only allow play to continue if only 1 snooker required. If more than 1 snooker required, frame should be awarded to player leading :)

Snooker at a level way below O'Sullivan-Selby, but still a decent level, includes lots of games where a player comes from behind to win after needing 2 or 3 snookers. Snookers are an integral part of the game of snooker.

Selby was hard pressed to win from there but he was absolutely right to grind it out. Ronnie, on the other hand was crazy not to play on when 79 behind with 67 on the table. Selby is hard as nails and all the power to him for that. Ronnie has given up at least twice in this match yet is somehow only 13-11 behind maybe the only player who has his number. Part and parcel of his personality of course - I'm rooting for Ronnie for all kinds of reasons including the way he plays, but I'll give Selby his dues for knowing how to get in Ronnie's head.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker at a level way below O'Sullivan-Selby, but still a decent level, includes lots of games where a player comes from behind to win after needing 2 or 3 snookers. Snookers are an integral part of the game of snooker.

Selby was hard pressed to win from there but he was absolutely right to grind it out. Ronnie, on the other hand was crazy not to play on when 79 behind with 67 on the table. Selby is hard as nails and all the power to him for that. Ronnie has given up at least twice in this match yet is somehow only 13-11 behind maybe the only player who has his number. Part and parcel of his personality of course - I'm rooting for Ronnie for all kinds of reasons including the way he plays, but I'll give Selby his dues for knowing how to get in Ronnie's head.

i thought it was 3 snookers to tie, maybe i'm wrong. but it wasn't there anyhow, and when only blue and pink left there was zero point other than the long term gamesmanship. i absolutely give selby credit for being tough and stubborn, as well as a very good player. but it's no coincidence that many of his matches are patchy and long drawn affairs.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I enjoy watching a grinder... Selby has figured the method to win when he's out gunned. Ebdon bores people into frustration. Selby crushes spirits with safety play

I was forced to ramp up the frequency of my safety game in Pool after my return. Young guns with exceptional eyes making everything from everywhere. I can't out shoot them, but there more than one angle of approach when stepping on one's neck... ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I enjoy watching a grinder... Selby has figured the method to win when he's out gunned.

Same here. It's exactly the same in pool.

To beat a player that you don't expect to outperform in offensive execution, you must either a) plan on playing way over your head, or, more realistically, b) tactically devise a way to get more than half of the good looks at the table in the match. Breaking well, superior defense, good kicking and great patience are the key ingredients in succeeding at the latter approach, and Selby offers a good sampling of how it is done.

There's more than one way to win, and while it's always exciting to watch someone run a century, it's also nice to watch how a crafty player manages to win the race to the first good look at the table when control has to be fought for.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing ‘negative’ about Selby’s play.

Calling Selby negative is like calling Mohammed Ali negative because he doesn’t stand still and exchange blows with Joe Frazier.

After John Higgins, Selby is best table strategist In Snooker. Safeties are not just reactive but a proactive part of Snooker. It’s a general setting up his moment of attack.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here. It's exactly the same in pool.

I slightly disagree here.
Without a doubt a solid safetyplay has do be part of every pool players game, but in my eyes pool gets more and more aggressive.
You expect a pro to nail almost every open shot, no matter how hard it is. And banking, kicking, combinations and jump shots are the icing on the cake.
In pool there is an offensive option almost every time and the modern players go for it.
Just remember Alcaide vs. Kazakis in the WPM. Even the perfect safety is met with an even better offensive bank.

There is a similar trend in snooker, where players like Trump or Robertson take on the long pots nearly effortless. They don`t disassemble the reds ball by ball anymore, they go for the split early, spread them everywhere and then it is just shotmaking.
But in snooker there is still more room for grinding than in pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I slightly disagree here.
Without a doubt a solid safetyplay has do be part of every pool players game, but in my eyes pool gets more and more aggressive.
You expect a pro to nail almost every open shot, no matter how hard it is. And banking, kicking, combinations and jump shots are the icing on the cake.
In pool there is an offensive option almost every time and the modern players go for it.
Just remember Alcaide vs. Kazakis in the WPM. Even the perfect safety is met with an even better offensive bank.

There is a similar trend in snooker, where players like Trump or Robertson take on the long pots nearly effortless. They don`t disassemble the reds ball by ball anymore, they go for the split early, spread them everywhere and then it is just shotmaking.
But in snooker there is still more room for grinding than in pool.

Nice post!

What you say is true, as there are more racks that are fought for in snooker (in part because the first shot of every rack is defensive) but pool similarly offers one a chance to get a few extra good looks at the table by a) tactically outmaneuvering opponents, b) timely use of two way shots, and c) unique methods of downside management, three ingredients in a style with which Europe won eight consecutive Mosconi Cups. Hence, you're right, utilization of this game plan and style in pool is only sometimes an option, while it's nearly always an option at snooker.

Still, both games offer unique was of grinding out a couple of extra good chances for those skillful enough to plan their shots with sufficient insight and care.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The usual youtube search will spoil you with choices- ...
I have looked on YouTube repeatedly recently. Compared to previous snooker tournaments, there are fewer good, complete, commentated videos. There are far more really lousy videos. For example, is the O'Sullivan/Selby match so far available as broadcast? The DAZN stream does include the play-by-play commentary but not the studio analysis sessions.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie hits ground running taking 1st frame with first century of the match. Trails 12-13
Will we see the real Ronnie in this last lap ?

12-13.JPG

:grin-square:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, Ronnie makes the good long pot after many misses , wins the frame to tie match 13-13. It is race to 4

lp1.JPG

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
selby will steal this frame. but ronnie is looking more "on it" this session than before

14-13 to selby

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
That long red to open his break was sick! He's come from behind almost every match...it's like he's shooting loose until he's behind, then he bears down, like he needs the pressure to catch that gear. Amazing.