Snooker CF

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching world snooker on youtube. Its been a longtime since i played or even watched. Snooker cues look the same. Ash wood, brass ferrule. Any new materials being used for snooker cues used by pro's?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching world snooker on youtube. Its been a longtime since i played or even watched. Snooker cues look the same. Ash wood, brass ferrule. Any new materials being used for snooker cues used by pro's?

Nop, they believe in the old stuff, if it works, then why change it, and I kind of agree with them, snooker is doing well in terms of money, not as good as tennis or golf of course, but they're doing well enough, better than pool by miles.

If you watch, they still use the green cloth (Classic), white cueball (No dots, keep the audience guessing and interested that way), same type of venue, same atmosphere.

In pool we changed many things, we moved from green to blue (people claim better for the eyes but I disagree), we put dots on the cueball so that the crowd can see the English, now crowd aren't amazed anymore by shots cause they can see the spin, I think this also is a wrong move.

To the question in the title of your post, CF for snooker? I don't think it works, but you can give it a go.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nop, they believe in the old stuff, if it works, then why change it, and I kind of agree with them, snooker is doing well in terms of money, not as good as tennis or golf of course, but they're doing well enough, better than pool by miles.

If you watch, they still use the green cloth (Classic), white cueball (No dots, keep the audience guessing and interested that way), same type of venue, same atmosphere.

In pool we changed many things, we moved from green to blue (people claim better for the eyes but I disagree), we put dots on the cueball so that the crowd can see the English, now crowd aren't amazed anymore by shots cause they can see the spin, I think this also is a wrong move.

To the question in the title of your post, CF for snooker? I don't think it works, but you can give it a go.
Shush yo mouth, you letting the cat out the bag.
They don't know about all that lower deflection,
better aiming/potting balls, and no maintenance yet.
Think of how accurate this will make these snooker guys.
Purses for the matches might finally get to where pool is too.
I bet one of 'em will read this post and CF sales will skyrocket.
And with CF advances & marketing, they can buy new & improved cues yearly.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Ronnie gave the best answer in his post-match interview yesterday about what does really matter. It is all about cue action :thumbup:.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea they don’t use a glove either,
But it looks like most top carom players use a glove
And have measles balls and blue cloth.

Hmm

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

With the size of the balls, how the game is played, using an LD shaft with it does not matter nearly as much as with pool games so there is really no need to use is. If you have a car built to go fast in a straight line you don't need to worry as much about the suspension and tires for cornering, drag racers don't have the same setup as NASCAR or F1. A standard maple shaft and an LD shaft will pocket balls as easily if you don't use side spin in pool also and with the size of the tips/shafts and the size of the balls I don't think there is nearly as much deflection in snooker as there is in pool.

Again it's a false flag here that "old school" is better or not needed over new tech. It all depends on who is using it and what it's being used for.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
With the size of the balls, how the game is played, using an LD shaft with it does not matter nearly as much as with pool games so there is really no need to use is. If you have a car built to go fast in a straight line you don't need to worry as much about the suspension and tires for cornering, drag racers don't have the same setup as NASCAR or F1. A standard maple shaft and an LD shaft will pocket balls as easily if you don't use side spin in pool also and with the size of the tips/shafts and the size of the balls I don't think there is nearly as much deflection in snooker as there is in pool.

Again it's a false flag here that "old school" is better or not needed over new tech. It all depends on who is using it and what it's being used for.[/QUOTE]

In pool, the quality, density & the grain of solid maple shafts vary immensely. In Balabuska days, availability of good wood was Key in making a great cue/shaft. I remember in 1968 hitting balls with a top end Balabuska at janscos/johnston city IL. I was amazed at how much follow thru/churning action one could create going into a 14.1 break shot. I've seen cues in those days, hit the side of the 14.1 stack full....and with Lots of over spin ''keep on'' moving thru the full stack after it broke em open, with leftover ''overspin''.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a few use maple shafts in snooker, but otherwise OP is correct. the explanation has several aspects to it. the main reason is that you don't shoot with as much side spin in snooker, so deflection is not as important. another factor is that snooker players (and events) usually don't need cue manufacturers as sponsors, so they don't have to flash the latest product. then there is tradition, of course

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker cues are so thin that they are naturally quite low deflection...

right..and I wonder how this compares combined with smaller ball size in snooker?
if snooker balls are both smaller and lighter than pool balls
does that mean what deflection snooker cues have even less effect
when compared to pool cues?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Again it's a false flag here that "old school" is better or not needed over new tech. It all depends on who is using it and what it's being used for.[/QUOTE]

In pool, the quality, density & the grain of solid maple shafts vary immensely. In Balabuska days, availability of good wood was Key in making a great cue/shaft. I remember in 1968 hitting balls with a top end Balabuska at janscos/johnston city IL. I was amazed at how much follow thru/churning action one could create going into a 14.1 break shot. I've seen cues in those days, hit the side of the 14.1 stack full....and with Lots of over spin ''keep on'' moving thru the full stack after it broke em open, with leftover ''overspin''.

hey bill, this is a thoughtful point
I see a lot of wood vs. cf talk
but technology is not limited to just one or the other
how wood used has changed over time is a great example
I don't know much about cue evolution
but I'm sure it exists

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Nop, they believe in the old stuff, if it works, then why change it...

It’s a time warp in many ways. Cues are still built without a lathe, manual transmission cars are more popular, and tv commercials contain clips from the original Wizard of Oz movie. Heck... David Hasselhoff and Vanilla Ice are still popular here.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i agree that the visuals are important. but blue is fine by me. three cushion has measles ball and good tv numbers where the sport is popular, but i'm undecided there. i think just having a referee racking is important, and if a flimsy template is used it needs to be removed directly after the break. no template looks better of course. as for the ball colors all i know is changing them every other year is effing stupid

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie OSullivan has used 4 cues over 3 decades. Hendry the same. They likely practice 4 to 6 hours a day.

My cue is 13 years old.

Snooker Pros change their tip once or twice a year. Also, they usually stick to the same type of tip.

Contrast this with American pool where players somehow have experience with a half dozen cues and as many tips. It always baffles me how anyone can have an opinion on a cue or tip they haven’t used everyday for 3 months. ‘Trying’ a friend’s cue or replacing a tip after a couple weeks is meaningless. It’s like switching baseball gloves or guitars.

My cue is a one piece ash. Brass ferrule, 9.5 tip. That’ s it. No bells and whistles. No magic. I can aim and get English on an American table with American balls as well as 98% of players with CF cues...magic tips and magic chalk using magic aiming systems. The other 2% are better than me because they have more talent and not because they have a magic stick.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Contrast this with American pool where players somehow have experience with a half dozen cues and as many tips. It always baffles me how anyone can have an opinion on a cue or tip they haven’t used everyday for 3 months.

I also find it miracle that any of these players ever find success with swapping out equipment at such a high rate.

I've been playing with the same entry level Falcon butt since I started playing pool. Swapped in a Z2 when they were released (early 2000's). Use the hardest non-breaking tip I can get my hands on.

I couldn't tell you the weight of my cue. I couldn't tell you the balance point unless I had it in my hand at the moment. I can't tell you the manufacturer of my tip. I just tell my tip guy to put on the same thing. I bought a case of yellow triangle chalk a billion years ago during my snooker days and never use anything else.

There's an obscene value in just getting used to something rather than continually shaking things up in hopes of a miracle result.

Snooker guys embrace learning and adapting. Not hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with a latest craze.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie OSullivan has used 4 cues over 3 decades. Hendry the same. They likely practice 4 to 6 hours a day.

My cue is 13 years old.

Snooker Pros change their tip once or twice a year. Also, they usually stick to the same type of tip.

Contrast this with American pool where players somehow have experience with a half dozen cues and as many tips. It always baffles me how anyone can have an opinion on a cue or tip they haven’t used everyday for 3 months. ‘Trying’ a friend’s cue or replacing a tip after a couple weeks is meaningless. It’s like switching baseball gloves or guitars.

My cue is a one piece ash. Brass ferrule, 9.5 tip. That’ s it. No bells and whistles. No magic. I can aim and get English on an American table with American balls as well as 98% of players with CF cues...magic tips and magic chalk using magic aiming systems. The other 2% are better than me because they have more talent and not because they have a magic stick.

...and Hendry would only have used one if it didn't get broken!