RH Gilmer, aka Professor, R.I.P.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
RH Gilmer, also known on the forums as The Professor, died this morning at 7am. Falling victim to cancer.

RH owned and operated Southern Billiards a great non-alcohol, no jukebox, no food, old school pool room in Starkville MS. RH used to say "All I sell here is pool.", I love that quote.

RH was well liked, super knowledgable and a southern gentleman all the way. He will be deeply missed.

Another one of the good guys gone.... sad.

profnewtruck01.jpg

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
R.I.P. Mr. Gilmer.

I would have LOVED to have visited his poolroom and met him!!!

Maniac

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
RH Gilmer, also known on the forums as The Professor, died this morning at 7am. Falling victim to cancer.

RH owned and operated Southern Billiards a great non-alcohol, no jukebox, no food, old school pool room in Starkville MS. RH used to say "All I sell here is pool.", I love that quote.

RH was well liked, super knowledgable and a southern gentleman all the way. He will be deeply missed.

profnewtruck01.jpg

So sad. One of the really great guys in pool. Professor Gilmer kept pool alive in his area.

I was lucky enough to make one of his events and meet him and the gang. Good people down there.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Very sad to hear. I talked to RH a few times over the years and he was definitely one of the best people in the pool business I have ran across. I didn't know him as well as many on here but I am saddened to hear that he has passed. I knew he had not been well but I was hoping for the best.

My best goes out to his children and other family during this time.

matta

Cue Snob
Silver Member

This is really terrible to hear. His pool room was the center of everything that was pool in his area. What a great guy as well. Truly saddening.

His two kids have been a fixture in our pool scene over the years. Sam and Melanie, our thoughts will be with you.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very sad news. I have spoken to him many times, and if there was anybody on earth who was a pool enthusiast, it was this kind man. I did not know he was sick. I used to post on Southern Billiards forum.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends, of which I know he has many. He was loved and revered as one of the good guys!

RIP, Professor, from your Woodstock alumni friend.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sadnesss in DC as well. Professor was good people, no doubt.

My condolences to his Family, immediate and in pool.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

profnewtruck01.jpg

I am sorry to say I did not know him but got curious to find out who he was. With just a few google clicks I found a few things, I am sure there is a lot more.
He sure sounded like one of the good guys.

http://www.reflector-online.com/sports/msu-student-rises-in-billiards-world-1.2304297

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=61431

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
His two kids have been a fixture in our pool scene over the years. Sam and Melanie, our thoughts will be with you.

Don't forget the eldest daughter, Doella. She didn't play, but she sure could pump up the calcutta money with her bids!

bigboro

Registered
Best wishes to all family. RH was a incredible person in and out of the pool world. Knowing his children u just knew he was a great father. I know all the Tennessee crew will miss him. Look forward to a RH memorial tournament because he deserves one dedicated to him if anyone does!

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RH Gilmer

I got the privilege to be around him a little bit at one of the Derby City ring games a few years ago.

He had developed and provided the chip (money) scoring program that was used - and shown on the big screen. One of his daughters was with him.

This was at the Executive West back about 2005 or so.

He was fun, a cool guy that really liked pool. I haD heard about his room for years but never got down his way.

I wish the best to his family.

Mark Griffin

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Condolences to The Professor's friends & family.
I hope that his "all I sell is pool" legacy will carry on in Starksville.

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost a great man

Professor Gilmer was truly one of the most remarkable men in the pool room, a very good player, very good person family man. I was staking David G. $6,000 10 ahead set in Southern Billiards a few years ago and Hennesee missed an easy 8 ball on the hill and David won 9 in a row and Hennesey tried to pull up even and the Professor who was holding the money refused to let Hennesey out of the set with the money being held by R.H. DaVID WON THE SET IN ABOUT 30 MORE MINUTES. Hennesey was really the home team and we were the visitors but Prof. Gilmer's integrity
remained unquestioned. My condolences to the entire Gimer family, especially Melanie and Sam, we all lost a beautiful guy. God Bless.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to post on his site and always wanted to visit his "old school poolroom." Sorry to hear this news. Prayers for his family.

carlton31698

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff Nichols said it best" If ole St. Peter plays One Pocket...... He's in for one hell of a game."
Unk had a huge impact on my life, and will truly be missed. Good by my Friend.