What to do about a cracked shaft on a new cue?

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a new McDermott G208 cue with a G-core shaft two weeks ago. Tonight, I noticed a crack running vertically in the shaft from about 3 inches above the joint to about nine inches up the shaft. I have no clue in the universe how it cracked. I just got the cue and have never had a shaft crack in any way before. I take good care of my cues. When not in use, they are always in their cases. This cue has never been dropped or bumped into anything, and I don't use it to break with. So I'm both mystified and upset to find this crack in the shaft.

I'm posting this because I would like advice on what to do about it. I'm thinking I have three choices: (1) call the store I bought it from and see what (if anything) they'll do about it. (2) call McDermott; I registered the cue with them the day I got it and it has some sort of lifetime warranty. (3) See if I can have it repaired. I actually DON'T think I should mess with this last option unless neither the store nor McDermott will do anything about it.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Exactly right

1) Call the store and they should honor the lifetime warranty.

You should get a new shaft to replace the cracked one.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Call the store and they should honor the lifetime warranty.

You should get a new shaft to replace the cracked one.

When I bought it two weeks ago, I had the store turn down the shaft from 13mm to 12.75mm. I don't know if (1) this may be why the shaft cracked, or (2) if it will affect whether or not they will honor the lifetime warranty, or their 90 day return policy. But I'll try calling them when they open tomorrow.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You answered your own question. Start with the dealer you purchased from. If they will not honor it contact McDerm. They might stand behind it as a good customer service gesture. If turning down the shaft killed the warranty see if it can be repaired.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crack may have been there all along--turning it down may have brought it out where you could see it---sounds like it was defective in the begining and thankfully you now know it--send it back to McDermot

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Deal with McDermott directly. Talk To Jayme. He's a reasonable guy and he will make it right.

:cool:

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deal with McDermott directly. Talk To Jayme. He's a reasonable guy and he will make it right.

The store has a 90 return policy and I've only had it about 15 days so I started out by calling them when they opened this morning. They said it sounded like a "manufacturer's defect" and to call the manufacturer.

Most people said I'd be better off dealing directly with McDermott anyway. So, I called and I took your advice and asked for Jayme. You are so right. He seems like a really good guy. He told me to ship it to him and he will replace it. So that's what I'm going to do. I am definitely going to miss my cue for the couple of weeks it will probably take to ship it across the country (from NY to WI), have it repaired or replaced, and the shipped back to me. But, if I can ship it out today (after work) or, at the latest, first thing tomorrow morning (before work), I should have it back in time for our APA playoffs. :)

Thanks for recommending I speak to Jayme.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
This is why you always get at least 1 spare shaft with whatever cue you play with regularly.

While it's away you should get Jayme to sell you an extra one.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should send the whole cue back so that they can make sure the shaft fits straight--and purchase an extra while your at it.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a new McDermott G208 cue with a G-core shaft two weeks ago. Tonight, I noticed a crack running vertically in the shaft from about 3 inches above the joint to about nine inches up the shaft. I have no clue in the universe how it cracked. I just got the cue and have never had a shaft crack in any way before. I take good care of my cues. When not in use, they are always in their cases. This cue has never been dropped or bumped into anything, and I don't use it to break with. So I'm both mystified and upset to find this crack in the shaft.

I'm posting this because I would like advice on what to do about it. I'm thinking I have three choices: (1) call the store I bought it from and see what (if anything) they'll do about it. (2) call McDermott; I registered the cue with them the day I got it and it has some sort of lifetime warranty. (3) See if I can have it repaired. I actually DON'T think I should mess with this last option unless neither the store nor McDermott will do anything about it.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Where did you buy this cue? I agree that McDermott is great for fixing damages to a cue but like you said, it was purhased 15 days ago from a store. They should have also honored the warranty offer instead of passing the buck IMO.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
The store has a 90 return policy and I've only had it about 15 days so I started out by calling them when they opened this morning. They said it sounded like a "manufacturer's defect" and to call the manufacturer.

Most people said I'd be better off dealing directly with McDermott anyway. So, I called and I took your advice and asked for Jayme. You are so right. He seems like a really good guy. He told me to ship it to him and he will replace it. So that's what I'm going to do. I am definitely going to miss my cue for the couple of weeks it will probably take to ship it across the country (from NY to WI), have it repaired or replaced, and the shipped back to me. But, if I can ship it out today (after work) or, at the latest, first thing tomorrow morning (before work), I should have it back in time for our APA playoffs. :)

Thanks for recommending I speak to Jayme.

Send the whole cue. Don't just drop it in the mail use FedEx or UPS where you can track it to make sure it gets where it's going.

Jayme will provide you with tracking information when he sends it beack. Someone will need to be there to sign for it.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did you buy this cue? I agree that McDermott is great for fixing damages to a cue but like you said, it was purhased 15 days ago from a store. They should have also honored the warranty offer instead of passing the buck IMO.

I bought it online from Ozone Billiards. I've always had great experiences with Ozone before this. Never had even the slightest problem with any product I bought from them. This is the third cue I've ordered from them. It's "probably" not their fault that there is a problem with this shaft, but... but it bothers me and disappoints me that they immediately passed the buck by telling me to send it to McDermott. I also think they should have honored their 90 day return policy and sent me a new one. One would think they'd want to keep me as a customer, especially since I've ordered from them several times. This whole thing sucks.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send the whole cue. Don't just drop it in the mail use FedEx or UPS where you can track it to make sure it gets where it's going. Jayme will provide you with tracking information when he sends it beack. Someone will need to be there to sign for it.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm doing. The nearest FedEx to me is about 20 miles away. Not that big a deal, but I just found a UPS "drop off" place not too far from where I live. The only problem is I probaby can't get there in time today, and tomorrow is Saturday. I don't want the cue sitting there all weekend, so, depending on how things go with work today, I may wait and ship it via UPS on Monday morning before work.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why you always get at least 1 spare shaft with whatever cue you play with regularly.

Good answer.
You can tell someone but you can't make them listen until something like this happens.
Does the O.P. have a second shaft, even if it's not a G Cor?

mike253

Flash
Silver Member

Unless McDermott has changed the way they do things, having an extra shaft wouldn't have really solved the problem in this case. McDermott used to (and probably still does) require you to send the entire cue back if you want a problem with the shaft corrected.