How long do Predator shafts last?

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched the history for this and found nothing.... sorry if it's been asked a brazillion times.

liakos

Banned
All depends on how well you take care of them! I've got an old 314 30" shaft that's still straight as an arrow! I've seen them last a few months, a couple days, and I would say a decade at least! Like I said, it's how well you take care of them:)

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I have.... a 30" original predator and have had it at least 10 years. It's at about 12.5mm now and I really don't want to part with it.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got 9 years on a Z (50% heavy use), and like 4-5 (light use only) on a Z2.

My wife left the cue against a wall, causing a slight warp. That was a great excuse to get the Z2. Then after a year in the case (probably a lot less) it's gone back into its usual straight as an arrow shape.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
I have a 314-2 that's at least 7 if not 8 years old that's been cleaned & sanded down over the years to about 12mm. I think it rolls straighter now then when I got it.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is that the defining moment when to throw it out.... when it no longer rolls straight?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I bought my first Predator in 1991, 5/16 X 14 joint, no serial #, I believe all American made, or maybe American -Canadian? I used this cue with the original shaft as a break cue for about a year. A few years ago a little rattle developed in the shaft. I sent it off to Predator and they told me that a small piece of glue came loose in the shaft. They fixed it and replaced the tip ferrule (with my choice of tips) and returned it to me. All done as warranty work. So about 23 years and still playin'.
That being said, a buddy of mine started useing a 314-2 about a year ago. He showed it to me at the pool hall on Tuesday night, it had about a 3" crack from the ferrule up the shaft, like the glue had come out of th e seam between 2 of the pie pieces. I asked him if it had ever got wet or anything like that, it hadn't. The shaft had been treated normally.
So I guess they're like anything else, good and bad

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When would you get rid of any other shaft?

Exactly, when would you? If it warps out and completely cannot be played then ...

Otherwise it should play on ...and on...

I bought a cue a beautiful full splice Prather that I had a Z shaft matched for and this was in 2008. It still plays well. I am on my third tip, just put a Kamui Black. I think it was a SS not positive. Any way it plays excellent. I have a hairline fracture in my ferrule that I will address at some point, probably sooner than later. Overall the shaft itself should last unless completely abused and/or mfg. defects.

JC

Coos Cues
Predator shafts are made out of dehydrated scrap wood. The are about as hard as a bar of soap. You can spend all your spare time removing dings from them which you have no idea how they got there.

Total garbage.

JC

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator shaft

I still have a new predator 314 original and also 314-2
They are guaranteed for life against splicing coming undone (glue)
I got my Predator when they first come out and also 5 years later, I also sold then for a long time when they were assembled by Falcon Cues in Mississauga, Ontario Canada.
After that they went to Taiwan and the problems started with the ferrules coming undone and/ or cracking

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
When I played all the time as in 4-5 hours every day I would go thru a 314 in about 3 years... After that much time the shaft would start to feel more like a noodle... Like a maple shaft that you had broken the spine down in...

I did always leave them in the car so maybe the hot and cold caused the glue to give in the splicing but I could always tell when the shaft lost what crispness they do have... Played with them for 15 years and always kept going back...

After the QC issues from having the shafts made overseas I swapped to OB and have not looked back.... I still think they are great shafts and they pioneered the LD technology.. I just like the OB brand better at this point in the game.... I am only a year in on the OB so time will tell as to how they hold up over time....

Chris

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I played all the time as in 4-5 hours every day I would go thru a 314 in about 3 years... After that much time the shaft would start to feel more like a noodle... Like a maple shaft that you had broken the spine down in...

I did always leave them in the car so maybe the hot and cold caused the glue to give in the splicing but I could always tell when the shaft lost what crispness they do have... Played with them for 15 years and always kept going back...

After the QC issues from having the shafts made overseas I swapped to OB and have not looked back.... I still think they are great shafts and they pioneered the LD technology.. I just like the OB brand better at this point in the game.... I am only a year in on the OB so time will tell as to how they hold up over time....

Chris
I have never tried an OB before, I gotta get me one,

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had my original 314 for 14 years now. I also clean my shaft with scotch brite. Still have not wore through veneer.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If Predator has the same marketing people behind Apple products or Microsoft Office, then defining moment to throw it out is when the new and slightly improved version comes out. :)

I think Predator would love it it they could make shafts that stop working after a set amount of time, or usage.

So is that the defining moment when to throw it out.... when it no longer rolls straight?