Break cloth

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it common practice for pool rooms to require that you use a break cloth? One room I play at wants this thing to be used and I think it's ridicules. Does anybody else agree?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it common practice for pool rooms to require that you use a break cloth? One room I play at wants this thing to be used and I think it's ridicules. Does anybody else agree?

It's stupid. Cloth is not going to last forever it is meant to be played on. Breaking is part of the game. It can also alter the cue balls action resulting in it flying off the table.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I disagree. I think it can help the cloth not deteriorate so quickly, and I haven't noticed any balls flying off the tables at Hard Times, where the break cloth is mandatory. If the place wants you to use one, I don't see the big deal in obliging.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
It has been my experience that the 'break cloth' keeps the cue ball from hopping which causes those spotted paths from the head string to the one ball.

Also, IMO, balls that fly off the table after contact with the one ball are caused by the cue ball hitting the 1ball off center. The power of the cue ball stays with the cue ball rather being transferred to the one ball.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I think it's pretty ridiculous and unnecessary. I mean the tip of your cue sears the cloth a good 12-18 inches in front of where the cue ball sits during the break shot. Unless you have a 2-foot long strip of it in front of the cue ball then what does it accomplish?

XmarathonX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that is ridiculous & I would find a new place to play. I have never seen anyone actually rip the cloth from breaking, ever. What's next, being asked not to follow through on shots? :rolleyes:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW... I can't believe Hard Times would make you use one.... That's a serious players room. I have watched a lot of tourneys there and they don't use them during the tourney

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that is ridiculous & I would find a new place to play. I have never seen anyone actually rip the cloth from breaking, ever. What's next, being asked not to follow through on shots? :rolleyes:
I don't think it's for ripping the cloth as much as the white stripes it leaves from cue ball friction.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I can't blame room owners for wanting to conserve their equipment responsibly. But a "break cloth" makes about as much sense as a chalk holder or a jump cue. Some people are bound to like them because its just one more piece of gear they have to concern themselves with, but ultimately I think they have no place in the game under any circumstances.

Got people breaking at 25 mph+ continually on your tables? Ask them to learn how to play pool, offer lessons, or they can GTFO. When the cue ball is leaving the table more than 20% of the time on your break.... you are not hitting the cue ball correctly and you will need to tone it down until you can put the little stick on the giant white ball more consistently. You people are the birth of the "break cloth" and I hate every last one of you.

Flying rainbow pooping unicorns!

Lesh

SirFitzalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purpose of the break cloth isn't to prevent ripping. It's to prevent the burn marks. I agree that it seems to make the ball jump a bit more than normal. The best alternative that I have found is just use a napkin or a small piece of paper. Not extra hopping and no burn marks. Yay!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I think it's pretty ridiculous and unnecessary. I mean the tip of your cue sears the cloth a good 12-18 inches in front of where the cue ball sits during the break shot. Unless you have a 2-foot long strip of it in front of the cue ball then what does it accomplish?

So, you're one of those guys who lifts the cue butt on the break AFTER contact and scars the cloth with the tip. Makes no sense. Gives you no added break power.

If you did that in my room you would be banned.

Reactions: JC

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
So, you're one of those guys who lifts the cue butt on the break AFTER contact and scars the cloth with the tip. Makes no sense. Gives you no added break power.

If you did that in my room you would be banned.

Don't put words in my mouth kid. I never made any reference to my break at all.

Do you know how many pros and top players do that naturally on the break shot?

What's the name of your poolroom? I'll make sure I never grace it with my presence.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I dont use one. My Simonis has a few battle scars in the 4 months I've been playing on it. Just adds to the charm. It will take more than a few years for me to wear it down to the point I need to call the mechanic out to recloth my table. Just bust them up bareback and have fun, Gentlemen!!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
We use a thin microfiber cloth on the table at our community center. It's about 1/4 the thickness of unstretched Simonis 860. It has NO effect on the action/path/response of the CB.

When we want to replace the cloth we have to pass the hat and come up with the $450...and there are only 4-5 of us to whom the cloth is important, so we like to make it last. By using the break cloth we can easily get two years from 860HR; without it, about half of that.

We've also found that replacing the footspot every couple of months helps since the footspot is the other area where you can burn through the cloth. At $1.25 for a tin of 12 spots, it's a pretty cheap investment.

At a pool hall? Hey, when it's the pool room owner that has to pay to replace the cloth, what do I care? We all know that pool room owners have so much money that they're having to close their pool rooms because they can't handle all the money coming in.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
When we want to replace the cloth we have to pass the hat and come up with the $450...and there are only 4-5 of us to whom the cloth is important, so we like to make it last. By using the break cloth we can easily get two years from 860HR; without it, about half of that.
How heavily is the table played for it to wear that quick? I don't think I've ever seen a private table wear that fast....

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I stand by my contention that the cueball has left the cue tip at impact and no amount of body English or cloth spearing or butt lifting or shaft bending (Is this beginning to sound dirty?) can add speed to the cueball because the cueball is GONE. It left at impact.

Yes, Shane has a tremendous break. If he ended his break stroke with a cartwheel, would that add speed to the cueball? No. He has a huge break because his cue is traveling fast when it impacts the cueball. Its his technique up to impact that is his advantage.