"POWER ONE POCKET II" question

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched Scotts power one pocket II & have a concern... He jokes about "it's not 1965 anymore" and then shoots an awsome double kiss shot to win an end game situation. The problem is at the end of the disc he has a segment of out-takes and it shows him shoot the same shot 3 or 4 times all of which went tragically wrong and he would have clearly lost the game. The question is if he is only 20 25% to execute the shot and sell out 75 80 % of the time and he's the best player on earth, isn't it clearly the "WRONG SHOT". Aren't these videos supposed to be showing the viewer what is the correct shot to shoot in a given situation?
I'm not trying to bash Scotts vid here but I'm trying to learn one pocket & knowing what is the correct shot to shoot & when is really what the game is about. :confused:confused:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As someone of the same speed as you (horrible :) ), my advice is don't do what the pros do. It will get you broke, fast. We can't execute what they can. You have to shoot shots that YOU can execute reliably. At lower speeds, these shots are often less aggressive than what the pros shoot.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As someone of the same speed as you (horrible :) ), my advice is don't do what the pros do. It will get you broke, fast. We can't execute what they can. You have to shoot shots that YOU can execute reliably. At lower speeds, these shots are often less aggressive than what the pros shoot.
I've been practicing..... I can now claim to be a half ball better than terrible:grin:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in Phlly till Friday afternoon.... I'll let you test out your one pocket practicing;) Text me if you want to play:)

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The short answer is yes...,

I just watched Scotts power one pocket II & have a concern... He jokes about "it's not 1965 anymore" and then shoots an awsome double kiss shot to win an end game situation. The problem is at the end of the disc he has a segment of out-takes and it shows him shoot the same shot 3 or 4 times all of which went tragically wrong and he would have clearly lost the game. The question is if he is only 20 25% to execute the shot and sell out 75 80 % of the time and he's the best player on earth, isn't it clearly the "WRONG SHOT". Aren't these videos supposed to be showing the viewer what is the correct shot to shoot in a given situation?
I'm not trying to bash Scotts vid here but I'm trying to learn one pocket & knowing what is the correct shot to shoot & when is really what the game is about. :confused:confused:

I low percentage shot is a low percentage shot and it could get him broke too. He might be the best One Pocket player, maybe, but if he shoots the wrong shots Alex, Efren, Busty and a host of others will take his cash.

Is good to know the shoot is there, but shooting it for the cash?

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

EL nino, Grady Mathews, one day was commenting on Cory Duel when he just started playing one pocket, Grady said, Cory has to play Efren for a $1000.00 a set; that is the only way he learns how to shoot safe, until his bank account dried out. Scott; IMO, will certainly revert to the "1965" way of shooting since his power way of shooting has't made him good money since he published that DVD!!

I highly respect Scott, and his DVD, it certainly has good stuff.

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me a lot of what is in that video is things to look for in desperate situations. That shot is there, it's low percentage, but if you're already in trouble it COULD turn the game around for you. That's the way I look at it... shots to get you out of trouble when the game is already all but lost.

On a side note, the 1965 comment was interesting because in the match against Richie Richeson at Lacy's Cue in Chalmette, LA, it appeared Scott was playing "Power One Pocket" the first night. After 8 hours of play they were dead even. The 2nd night, a more conservative approach by Scott won him the match in just a few short hours. So what's that tell you?
Also, if you watched any of the Fight Night one pocket with Danny Smith, you may have noticed the same trend. The very aggressive, power style one pocket seemed to only get Danny in trouble. In the end, it was a "1965" conservative moving style, with a few power shots mixed in, that has won those matches for Danny as well.
I believe "Power One Pocket" has a place. I just don't believe EVERY SHOT has to be power one pocket.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious- Are you going to Fuscos or Drexeline? It's always good to meet AZ members.

Mitch

Hi Mitch. I go to Drexeline. Flakes and Shulmen are "supposed" to be there today at 3:00 pm from what a birdie told me. There should be lots of action with those two around. I might not make it until the evening. I'm Nick. Tall skinny guy. If you end up going say hello:)

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mitch. I go to Drexeline. Flakes and Shulmen are "supposed" to be there today at 3:00 pm from what a birdie told me. There should be lots of action with those two around. I might not make it until the evening. I'm Nick. Tall skinny guy. If you end up going say hello:)

I met Flakes at Fuscos a couple days ago. Nice guy. Drexeline is a nice hall but I won't get there today. Have fun man.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me a lot of what is in that video is things to look for in desperate situations. That shot is there, it's low percentage, but if you're already in trouble it COULD turn the game around for you. That's the way I look at it... shots to get you out of trouble when the game is already all but lost.

On a side note, the 1965 comment was interesting because in the match against Richie Richeson at Lacy's Cue in Chalmette, LA, it appeared Scott was playing "Power One Pocket" the first night. After 8 hours of play they were dead even. The 2nd night, a more conservative approach by Scott won him the match in just a few short hours. So what's that tell you?
Also, if you watched any of the Fight Night one pocket with Danny Smith, you may have noticed the same trend. The very aggressive, power style one pocket seemed to only get Danny in trouble. In the end, it was a "1965" conservative moving style, with a few power shots mixed in, that has won those matches for Danny as well.
I believe "Power One Pocket" has a place. I just don't believe EVERY SHOT has to be power one pocket.
I don't disagree with your view of power one pocket but I beleive that the scenario dictates what shot is correct & in the given scenario I need two & he needs one. I have a ball stitting in my hole, Simply make my ball & do whatever you want with the other. The shot he is teaching is an 80% sellout for a top player which by definition makes it the "WRONG SHOT" why is he teaching his students to shoot what is absolutly positivly the wrong shot?

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
I don't disagree with your view of power one pocket but I beleive that the scenario dictates what shot is correct & in the given scenario I need two & he needs one. I have a ball stitting in my hole, Simply make my ball & do whatever you want with the other. The shot he is teaching is an 80% sellout for a top player which by definition makes it the "WRONG SHOT" why is he teaching his students to shoot what is absolutly positivly the wrong shot?

As with everything in life, from music to movies to instructional videos, hype sells better than boring non-flashy stuff. Look at the difference between the original Hustler and Color of Money (both good books by the way, but CM movie SUCKED). People want to believe in magic, not hard work and practice..and in the case of 1P...strategy.

I learned exactly the same way that Grady described, shooting against Marshall Carpenter and losing game after game ($) until I finally got it through my thick skull to BE @#)%! CAREFUL. Scott is very talented at running out, and is amazingly creative, but that kind of play wears you out and in the end you have to fall back to what works with less effort.

I play a mix of both and both have their places, but unless you can run 10-11 balls every time you get a shot, don't try that kind of shot against a quality 1P player. Know your limits and stick inside them until you expand your skill.

Note: I still lose against Marshall but just not as quick and as bad.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with everything in life, from music to movies to instructional videos, hype sells better than boring non-flashy stuff. Look at the difference between the original Hustler and Color of Money (both good books by the way, but CM movie SUCKED). People want to believe in magic, not hard work and practice..and in the case of 1P...strategy.

I learned exactly the same way that Grady described, shooting against Marshall Carpenter and losing game after game ($) until I finally got it through my thick skull to BE @#)%! CAREFUL. Scott is very talented at running out, and is amazingly creative, but that kind of play wears you out and in the end you have to fall back to what works with less effort.

I play a mix of both and both have their places, but unless you can run 10-11 balls every time you get a shot, don't try that kind of shot against a quality 1P player. Know your limits and stick inside them until you expand your skill.

Note: I still lose against Marshall but just not as quick and as bad.
"hype sells better than boring non-flashy stuff" I think you nailed it right there. So it's not really an instructional it's a show off video. I guess the best thing to watch to learn is action & tourny matches.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I highly recommend the 2014 DCC one pocket finals from accustats - Daulton vs Reyes.

Power one pocket vs traditional style, an excellent contrast. Daulton performed some great power one pocket shots. Every time he botched one Efren ran 8 and out.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomas McKane and EL'nino I believe are dead on. However, my take on the Power One Pocket videos is the first was more instructional with basic strategy explained. The second was to illustrate "the gist of creating shots, moving balls". Maybe a shot is hidden, not so obvious that can enhance your position and leave you opponent frustrated.

As for the shot in question, even Scott would never shoot that for big money as you guys have said. Another good 1P match is Scott/Reyes for $5K. Scott creates great shots to move multiple balls and leave the QB blocked. Lenny sells that one.

!P is the most interesting game to watch. I like trying to figure the moves before they are made.

Good rolls

Thomas McKane

Silver Member
Thomas McKane and EL'nino I believe are dead on. However, my take on the Power One Pocket videos is the first was more instructional with basic strategy explained. The second was to illustrate "the gist of creating shots, moving balls". Maybe a shot is hidden, not so obvious that can enhance your position and leave you opponent frustrated.

As for the shot in question, even Scott would never shoot that for big money as you guys have said. Another good 1P match is Scott/Reyes for $5K. Scott creates great shots to move multiple balls and leave the QB blocked. Lenny sells that one.

!P is the most interesting game to watch. I like trying to figure the moves before they are made.

Good rolls

Exactly, well put. Being creative at the right time is critical to being great, not just good. I actually love watching Scott shoot no matter what he does because he plays at a level so far above most mortals. When Scott gets to be 50 and slows down a bit, he will be unbeatable in long sets...IMHO

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It had been awhile since I watched my copy of P1Pv2. So I reviewed the shot in question as well as the outtakes. I would have to agree that shot is definitely not one I would shoot. BUT... if I played somewhere near the same galaxy as Scott, I can see myself shooting that against a weaker player or someone who I may be torturing just to drive nails in their coffin.
Now, if the scenario was different, say my opponent needs 1 and I need several, and that shot came up with the rest of the balls up table, I might shoot it then. Either way, it's a cool shot to know even if it never comes up in a game or I don't have the stones to shoot it if it does.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for everybodys input, I'm just a 9baller trying to learn some one hole & I'm easily confused:cool:

Thomas McKane

Silver Member
Thanks for everybodys input, I'm just a 9baller trying to learn some one hole & I'm easily confused:cool:

Rack up all 15, smash em hard enough to break them up but keep most balls down table, then take ball in hand on the first shot and see how many you can run into 1 pocket. Do that until you can run 8 and out every time...or most of the time anyway.