When is Dennis gonna learn how to shake hands

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pathetic to watch this poor sport turn his head away while shaking hands every time he looses. Tell me somebody here agrees.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pathetic to watch this poor sport turn his head away while shaking hands every time he looses. Tell me somebody here agrees.

I only have met one Filipino that rubbed me the wrong way when I met him (you listening, Jose Parica?)

I actually played Dennis in a tourney at Hard Times (Bellflower) and he was
very cordial and pleasant.

It's too bad he is giving this negative impression to some of us.
Obviously, the real test of character is when one loses.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only have met one Filipino that rubbed me the wrong way when I met him (you listening, Jose Parica?)

I watched a HT tournament streamed by POVPOOL , DO and Mika were in the the match prior to or the final , don't remember but DO won and Mika refused to shake his hand . Maybe sometimes it is personal .

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
if you have noticed, in the Philippines, they never really shook hands. they just do a soft high-five. LOL

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Dennis feels it deep. His ego tells him nobody is better than him. It drives him and makes him as good as he is. Two problems it doesn't make him the best person and he's not always the better player.

SVB has his number. You can see it and feel it. Remember how he acted when the ref wouldn't move the magic rack? He tilted himself out when he just argued for the very same thing (in reverse) just the shot before.

I have huge man-crush on Jay H. It amazes me that Jay doesn't grab him by the ear and say "listen Junior..." and straighten him out.

Nick

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Absolutely agree that test of character is when one loses
Now spill the beans on Parica . Come on

I watched a HT tournament streamed by POVPOOL , DO and Mika were in the the match prior to or the final , don't remember but DO won and Mika refused to shake his hand . Maybe sometimes it is personal .
I never liked Mika. He is a sore loser, throws tantrums. He is a diva except he is not Beyoncé

Meow :grin:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
How's your commentating coming?
:rolleyes:

...pt...not a fan of the dead fish handshake...regardless of my flaws

I've seen more dead fish than a fishmonger. Goes with the pool territory, I guess. Also it nicely compliments the fish belly skin complexion of the pool hall dwellers. Still, the dead fish handshake is inifinitely preferable to the macho handcrush! Come on you guys, you are trying to greet someone, not strangle a grizzly bear with your bare hands! I was playing a local tournament and was feeling pretty good about my game when a guy with vises for hands tried to turn the carbon atoms in my hand into a diamond. Needless to say I couldn't really play in the tournament at all after that, and my hand was messed up for a week. What's the f-ing point of doing something like that? I mean, if I was expecting it I could have braced myself, but it came out of the blue and I hadn't tightened my hand in anticipation. You can actually fracture people's hands like that. It's about as funny as a sucker punch or firing a gun near someones ears, which is to say not funny at all and potentially very harmful.

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
He was getting crushed and made up the 5 games just to dog a relatively easy ball and not get back to the table...how do you really think he was feeling after that? What's that phrase about a good loser???

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you have noticed, in the Philippines, they never really shook hands. they just do a soft high-five. LOL

I love watching Philippio players's playing but the soft high-five is really a turn off, kind of gay (no offense to anyone) :eek:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching Philippio players's playing but the soft high-five is really a turn off, kind of gay (no offense to anyone) :eek:

In some cultures its a sign of great respect for 2 men to walk down the street holding hands. Nothing "gay" about it at all, its just your maturity level isnt quite there yet. :thumbup:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Filipinos, you mean.
High 5'ng is much better than soccer players kissing each other after a goal.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Shane owns water front property in DO's head & it's been eating a hole in Dennis the size of New Jersey for awhile now.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure he knows how to shake hands. Maybe you could concince him why he needs to. I dont think he really cares if you think its pathetic if he doesnt so you are going to have to come up with a better reason than that.

P.S. You know who was good at shaking hands? Dick Lane

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member

Has it ever occurred to you that not all cultures practice handshakes? While Dennis and the rest of the Filipinos know enough to shake the hands of their opponents, they're probably not too aware of the other, finer, requisites that go with the gesture, e.g. firm grip, eye contact, a little small talk or offer of congratulations, etc. etc.
In some Asian cultures, looking at somebody in the eye is considered rude at best, or worse, insulting. In some instances, it could even get you killed. In other countries, not meeting someone's gaze is a sign of humility or of acceptance of the other's superiority or position in society or station in life.
Of course, most of the Filipino players know this but the other fine intricacies of shaking hands (who initiates, how many pumps, does one stop in their tracks, how high should it be, etc.) may escape them as it might not necessarily be in their nature, or culture, to do so.

Among the Filipino players, I think it is Francisco Bustamante who does the handshake the best (he approaches the other player, offers his hand, shakes it a few times, smiles and talks a bit to his opponent while maintaining eye contact, etc) but this might be because he spent a few years in a Western country (Germany) and learned a few things.

Pangit

Banned

This is true, is it Pinoy thing? I've lived in the RP for a long time and I don't think I've ever meet a Pinoy with a firm look you in the eye handshake:scratchhead:

I'm talking about the culture in general, it's very ethnocentric in a subtle way. How else can you explain Manny Pacquiao being a Congressman, and Jollibee?...but getting back to pool.

Bustamante and crowd are not such nice losers either...ask Daryl Peach. I remember when this happened, I saw DP in Angles City a few days later and he said it was a scary situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8YuHAA-nQ