Reload this Page SBE underwhelming..
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
SBE underwhelming..
Old
  (#1)
0ne9marine
AzB Silver Member
0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute0ne9marine has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

SBE underwhelming.. - 04-01-2017, 05:31 PM

i was at the expo today with my son, we both felt underwhelmed. Did not have the vendors as in the past. No pro men action at all until 7PM. I did enjoy watching some of the women shoot, but only a few of what i class as big names. I bought a London Bridgehead a few years ago, now nobody seems to even know what i'm talking about in my quest to buy another. just my perception, hope yours was better.

Old
  (#2)
Chi2dxa
Lost over C&D Triangle
Chi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond reputeChi2dxa has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne9marine View Post
i was at the expo today with my son, we both felt underwhelmed. Did not have the vendors as in the past. No pro men action at all until 7PM. I did enjoy watching some of the women shoot, but only a few of what i class as big names. I bought a London Bridgehead a few years ago, now nobody seems to even know what i'm talking about in my quest to buy another. just my perception, hope yours was better.
Sorry to here that.
It is my first time here and I am really enjoying myself. It feel like Derby City 16 years ago when it was at the Executive West.

America is not perfect but I will hold her hand until she gets better..

Old
  (#3)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne9marine View Post
I went to the expo a couple of years ago and left depressed.
Professional pool seemed like an after thought as it was pushed off to the side with much to be desired for in presentation.
The amateur tournament was clearly the center of attention and the reason for many to be there which is fine. But if a sport doesn't treat the pros as the mountain top for which they are on after their dedication to that very sport, what does the future hold?

I understand Mr Hopkins wants to do the pros justice with the expo but after seeing it myself with the lack of media, hand written brackets on a small easel, bracket times missing, and match times falling out of schedule, I felt bad for the state of pro pool.

Old
  (#4)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-01-2017, 06:30 PM

I'm here with a couple of newbies and whole crap load of veterans. The newbies have been pretty excited going booth to booth.

Freddie <~~~ but a goodie

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#5)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!

9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Definitely less vendors.
No Mueller. First time in as long as I can remember.
Btw.
What time do doors open?
8?
Exibits 10?
I know Pro's are 11am start.
Got there late Fri.
Back tomorrow.

In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!

Old
  (#6)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Well if your a Am player its the crem dela crem ,, I've never seen so many show up for the warm up the lines were crazy ,, every event sold out ,, can cause constant action in the action room ,, crazy Erica leading the way , ran a winner take all event wed night 10 ball 10 players 200 entry winner take all , . DO Sky Warren , headed the list Sky split with I can't remember who ,,

Of course you got Kirkwood who I told him they should name the the Kirkwood action room after him ,, making a living at a 10-20 dollar clip every yrs while others beat thier brains out in sets he plugs along never ever goes home loser goes to every big event he's so personable people line up to play him , people lose and like it he will even get them to fetch him a beer he buys
Talk about a business model no one bar none has worked the room like he has

I left early but tonight is historically the best night ,, pro's into final 16 lose and your out by matches going on all the hard hitters were left ,,

Then the action room heats up historically tonigh , the big game has been last pocket 8 ball with team Puerto Rico ���� in full force against who ever Crazy Erica is bringing to the table ,, not been a fan before but I've changed my mind she gets shit happening girl has skills to work a pool room scooter step aside she's got it going on and trusted by players hats off to her never thought I'd ever say that , but I'm one to call it like it is ,, she's got skills to work and control the game ,,

It's pool heaven for many for Am's especially since it's a open Am don't have to be a league player to get in any event ,, not so much as the DCC might be to watch top pro's play if that's what your looking for ,,

It can't be overstated how much Alan has put into this brainchild of his if it was easy anyone could do it ,, fact is there is humm let me think -/--/--/ one and only one , lose this and I'm not to sharp but I think ,,,, that leaves zero ,,

Old
  (#7)
wrickyb
AzB Silver Member
wrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond reputewrickyb has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2017, 08:59 PM

The bride head you are looking for is also called the Power Bridge head. I know Omega has them. Lots of new vendors this year. And over the last few years Muller has been on and off with being here.

Just my thoughts.

Ricky Bryant

Old
  (#8)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!

9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2017, 06:12 AM

Heading down 422 ......again! Wife driving
Staying 'till last ball drops in finals. VIP tix in hand.

Old
  (#9)
JAM
AzB Silver Member
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

04-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
Well if your a Am player its the crem dela crem ,, I've never seen so many show up for the warm up the lines were crazy ,, every event sold out ,, can cause constant action in the action room ,, crazy Erica leading the way , ran a winner take all event wed night 10 ball 10 players 200 entry winner take all , . DO Sky Warren , headed the list Sky split with I can't remember who ,,

Of course you got Kirkwood who I told him they should name the the Kirkwood action room after him ,, making a living at a 10-20 dollar clip every yrs while others beat thier brains out in sets he plugs along never ever goes home loser goes to every big event he's so personable people line up to play him , people lose and like it he will even get them to fetch him a beer he buys
Talk about a business model no one bar none has worked the room like he has

I left early but tonight is historically the best night ,, pro's into final 16 lose and your out by matches going on all the hard hitters were left ,,

Then the action room heats up historically tonigh , the big game has been last pocket 8 ball with team Puerto Rico ���� in full force against who ever Crazy Erica is bringing to the table ,, not been a fan before but I've changed my mind she gets shit happening girl has skills to work a pool room scooter step aside she's got it going on and trusted by players hats off to her never thought I'd ever say that , but I'm one to call it like it is ,, she's got skills to work and control the game ,,

It's pool heaven for many for Am's especially since it's a open Am don't have to be a league player to get in any event ,, not so much as the DCC might be to watch top pro's play if that's what your looking for ,,

It can't be overstated how much Alan has put into this brainchild of his if it was easy anyone could do it ,, fact is there is humm let me think -/--/--/ one and only one , lose this and I'm not to sharp but I think ,,,, that leaves zero ,,

I have to agree about Erica Walker. She's been providing the behind-the-scenes happenings. I'd love to see a feature article by Erica in some of the pool mags, maybe The Buzz, giving her a platform to share the pool news from her vantage point. I think it would complement the other pool news by having her share the pool world news on the rail.

Old
  (#10)
trinacria
in efren we trust
trinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2017, 01:16 PM

ive been to a few, maybe 5 or six times. first tima i went it was a great experince, there was a trick shot competition, vendors all over, fury had an enormous booth and being a newbie the cues were gorgeus to me, they had a one minute challenge to run out a rack as fast as possible to try and win a cue. etc... great experince. second time was good too. than the vendors became less, than less after that. last time i went it was basically predator/poison booths. no challenges, no nothing. so boring. sure the pros are always a treat to watch, but after that? as a customer, sure, ill find a case or cue. but the fun atmosphere as gone. more than half the floor space was taken up by some league tournament, league players are thw worst. the pettiness around them to win is shitty. not a fan of that. the cue repair guys charge too much, at least more than they normally would. i was gonna go to get a wrap, decided nott to bc id sit there for 6 hours and be completly bored out of my mind. i still get excided about it every year, and its still fun if youre in the tournammt though. over all its still good to have it, but i agree with the OP, its underwhelming. the fun challenges arent there, the cue makers get less and less, and there isnt much fun to be had except to look at some items. ofcourse its all cost based, the vendors donr make enough and get charged too much, the expo center costs too much, and on and on.

" love this game. its the hardest game in the world, its a beautiful game and when played right, it can be poetic, artistic." me.

If you need an aiming system, you have no natural talent for the game. Sorry.

Old
  (#11)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

04-02-2017, 01:20 PM

Im there to shoot and hang with friends (like Fred). The booths are just a bonus for me. Was only in the market for a case this year and I ordered a JB today before I left to come home. I do agree though that there are not as many booths there anymore. I'm afraid the good old days when it was at Valley Forge are long gone.

But yeah, I'm mainly there to play and between the tournaments and the action room its a great time

A bonus though this year, I believe the tournament attendance was at a high so hopefully that brings more business next year.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#12)
Type79
AzB Gold Member
Type79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-02-2017, 01:58 PM

I had a great time.

I visited with old friends everyday, met new ones, connected with people I only knew online, and watched some great players.

Dealers and cuemakers with whom I spoke reported an increase in sales, so that is a good thing. If things improve in the sales arena and the economy gets a bump, maybe we will see more vendors and dealers with booths.

I went for three days and am happy I attended.

Jay Fishbein
On Facebook:
Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412351735677519/

Old
  (#13)
NastyNate13
AzB Silver Member
NastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond reputeNastyNate13 has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2017, 07:38 PM

Action at SBE is always great. Always get to see pros play $100 a rack against amateurs and pros alike. From what I saw/heard the Puerto Rican contingent were making junk games with Justin Whitehead and had him stuck $15,000. They played by their own rules more or less. Every time something happened 30 people got up around the table and argued with Justin.

Other than that, some young kid (I think he won the BCA juniors a bunch) was in the box 24/7 with top pros. He played his heart out. Him and his father would seek out every pro from Roberto Gomez to Jorge Rodriguez and make solid games. I was there about until 5am every day this year and he was making games all the time.

Tim Heath (boy is he a character) was constantly in banks action all weekend.

My one gripe this year is how poorly the pro events are ran. Never are the matches on schedule. I showed up at 4pm to get my VIP ticket to watch the finals match and they didn't play until 6:30pm because Jennifer Baretta's match took 5 HOURS (!!!). Finally people like me started chirping up and said they have to be at work tomorrow and they started. I only got to see half of SVB vs. Chua because I had to be on the road for my 2 hour trip home.

All in all, it's a good experience that I look forward to every year.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Main Player: Robert Harris (Mezz EX Pro)
Break: Mezz Power Break I (Tulipwood)

Old
  (#14)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2017, 09:06 PM

I had a great time and I didn't watch any event or bit any balls. Was great chatting, catching up & hanging out with everyone.

Old
  (#15)
ctyhntr
RIP Kelly
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2017, 09:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you did not have a good time at SBX this year. You can vote with your feet and choose to attend another event.

For me, I'm planning to be back.
1. You can finally get quarters on site now.
2. Kudos to the SBX security staff for detaining an assailant from leaving the pit until the police arrived.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: