Aggravated by my team...pizzed off a more apt description

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might turn in to a long post so kindly back out now if they are not your cup of tea.

I went to league last night and had 5 out of 7 players show up. One guy is on national guard duty for the whole month and props to him for the job he does for our country.

One girl is out sick...so i heard.

Some of you may have heard about the new scoring app apa has initiated and we have been doing 8 ball for several weeks....we are also continuing with the scoresheet at the same time. No big deal as the app is easy to use. Well we also.started using the 9 ball app for the first time last night...along with the scoresheet. As with anything new the 9 ball app took a little while to get used too last night and you really have to stay on top of whats going on because you have to account for who makes what balls each rack. So you need to have a good view of the table and several times i had to check to see not only how many fell on a break but the number of each ball also.

I have to say that so far i am really digging the new apps but kind of a pain to be still keeping keep the scoresheets too at this time. The reason i am mentioning the apps in detail is because of what transpired during the match and having to deal with the scorekeeping at the end resulted in my blood pressure going ballistic.

Now to what set me off. During the second match i was playing 8 ball and a girl on my team who had played the first 9 ball match asked me when i had walked back to the table while my opponemt was racking the third rack if she could play 8 ball next so she could leave afterwards . i told her no that it would not be fIr to the other players for her to play and leave when the other 2 girls had not even played yet.

She winds up playing the fourth match and leaves without even telling me.so i start to throw another girl the 5 th match and find out she left without telling me so i had no one to play the 5 th 8 ball match.

So i am getting more pizzed by the minute. So i tell my last player to play 9 ball and we will forfeit the last 8 ball. The other team said to replay her 8 ball also that they didnt want a forfeit. So my player is going to play both at the same time. I tell my last remaining player that had already played both his matches to keep 8 ball and i would keep 9 ball.

He said he had to leave. Wtf ??? !!! I told him there was no way i could keep both. He said he had to go .i told him to get the fug out then.

So needless to say i had a time trying to keep.8 ball and 9 ball at the same time . done it before but keeping 8 ball app and scoresheet plus a new 9 ball app and scoresheet was a real pain in the ass. Thankfully both apps are really easy to use.

Now about the situation with my team..my thought process last night and still continuing at this moment is to kick those three players off my team. That aint gonna work since it will only leave 3 for the rest of this month until the boy gets back from national guard .

I have never had this situation before and last night could wind up a fluke thing. But i have a whole week to think about what to do about it. Maybe just give them a lecturr about team unity and the realization that things do come up but they all left me in a bad situation last night.

May just give them a warning that next time they leave early not to come back but right now i so wanna kick them all off.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might turn in to a long post so kindly back out now if they are not your cup of tea.

I went to league last night and had 5 out of 7 players show up. One guy is on national guard duty for the whole month and props to him for the job he does for our country.

Some of you may have heard about the new scoring app apa has initiated and we have been doing 8 ball for several weeks....we are also continuing with the scoresheet at the same time. No big deal as the app is easy to use. Well we also.started using the 9 ball app for the first time last night...along with the scoresheet. As with anything new the 9 ball app took a little while to get used too last night and you really have to stay on top of whats going on because you have to account for who makes what balls each rack. So you need to have a good view of the table and several times i had to check to see not only how many fell on a break but the number of each ball also.

I have to say that so far i am really digging the new apps but kind of a pain to be still keeping keep the scoresheets too at this time. The reason i am mentioning the apps in detail is because of what transpired during the match and having to deal with the scorekeeping at the end resulted in my blood pressure going ballistic.

Now to what set me off. During the second match i was playing 8 ball and a girl on my team who had played the first 9 ball match asked me when i had walked back to the table while my opponemt was racking the third rack if she could play 8 ball next so she could leave afterwards . i told her no that it would not be fIr to the other players for her to play and leave when the other 2 girls had not even played yet.

She winds up playing the fourth match and leaves without even telling me.so i start to throw another girl the 5 th match and find out she left without telling me so i had no one to play the 5 th 8 ball match.

So i am getting more pizzed by the minute. So i tell my last player to play 9 ball and we will forfeit the last 8 ball. The other team said to replay her 8 ball also that they didnt want a forfeit. So my player is going to play both at the same time. I tell my last remaining player that had already played both his matches to keep 8 ball and i would keep 9 ball.

He said he had to leave. Wtf ??? !!! I told him there was no way i could keep both. He said he had to go .i told him to get the fug out then.

So needless to say i had a time trying to keep.8 ball and 9 ball at the same time . done it before but keeping 8 ball app and scoresheet plus a new 9 ball app and scoresheet was a real pain in the ass. Thankfully both apps are really easy to use.

Now about the situation with my team..my thought process last night and still continuing at this moment is to kick those three players off my team. That aint gonna work since it will only leave 3 for the rest of this month until the boy gets back from national guard .

I have never had this situation before and last night could wind up a fluke thing. But i have a whole week to think about what to do about it. Maybe just give them a lecturr about team unity and the realization that things do come up but they all left me in a bad situation last night.

May just give them a warning that next time they leave early not to come back but right now i so wanna kick them all off.
Another perfect example of why i'd rather have a root canal with a dull knife than play leagues again. I went thru a couple of these yrs ago and i was DONE.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could be worse

I used to push crews. There were days I wanted to fire over half of my crew! The thoughts of being several weeks getting up to strength again plus not likely to have better men that I was already ready to fire kept me in check.

Remember that honey catches more flies than vinegar. As much as you would like to give a harsh lecture giving a polite talk and explaining both the importance of attendance and the need to let you know of any needs to not come or leave early would be very helpful.

There is always time enough for plan "B", off with their heads! Thing is, after plan "B" there is no going back to plan "A" or other more moderate approaches. Don't do a slow burn until next league night and be ready to explode when you go in the door. Remember a soft approach and lots of Bacardi 151 on the rocks eases most issues. If not, you probably need more Bacardi.

Hu

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya. At a busy time of year I manage scheduling a crew if 30-35 mostly millennials with differing preference to work and difficult schedules. And trying to get the 5 guys on my league team to show up or at least call in advance if they can’t make it is way more frustrating.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might turn in to a long post so kindly back out now if they are not your cup of tea...................

Over the years, you have posted about APA problems on several occasions.

My ONLY suggestion is to QUIT THE APA and that nonsense ASAP.

The whole APA system is a bunch of bullshit, if you ask me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. Simple concept, WALK.

I don't think pool is the kind of activity/sport that lends itself easily to modernization, nor is it fruitful in any sense to try and attract new players by appealing to those sorts of instincts. I thought leagues and all of that stuff were stupid to begin with but apps and this digital nonsense is really tacky. It becomes another retarded social media dick measuring contest and attracts unwarranted drama, like you mentioned. Play pool because you like to and play others who feel the same way; it's great on its own, it doesn't need any sort of embellishment.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think pool is the kind of activity/sport that lends itself easily to modernization, nor is it fruitful in any sense to try and attract new players by appealing to those sorts of instincts. I thought leagues and all of that stuff were stupid to begin with but apps and this digital nonsense is really tacky. It becomes another retarded social media dick measuring contest and attracts unwarranted drama, like you mentioned. Play pool because you like to and play others who feel the same way; it's great on its own, it doesn't need any sort of embellishment.
Couldn't agree more.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wont deny that i have voiced displeasure with apa during my 10 years in the league. Its bound to happen as no one or no thing can pleae every one all the time.

However considering i have over 1600 matches in the system my displeasure with the organization itself is few and far between.

Most of the displeasure over the years is dealing with inconsiderate...irresponsible and selfish players....such as in this case.

You cant blame an entire organization for the actions of a few members.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to push crews. There were days I wanted to fire over half of my crew! The thoughts of being several weeks getting up to strength again plus not likely to have better men that I was already ready to fire kept me in check.

Remember that honey catches more flies than vinegar. As much as you would like to give a harsh lecture giving a polite talk and explaining both the importance of attendance and the need to let you know of any needs to not come or leave early would be very helpful.

There is always time enough for plan "B", off with their heads! Thing is, after plan "B" there is no going back to plan "A" or other more moderate approaches. Don't do a slow burn until next league night and be ready to explode when you go in the door. Remember a soft approach and lots of Bacardi 151 on the rocks eases most issues. If not, you probably need more Bacardi.

Hu

Good advice hu but do i really want a bunch of inconsiderate peoe drive me to drinking lol

I used to be an area manager for a utility contractor so i know all to well about dealing people and expressing your expectations of them in the correct way....well sometimes i did cop an attitude but i felt the situation deserved such a response lol.

I used to tell people part of my duties was babysitting a bunch of grown men. I was paid to deal with those headaches and i just dont feel the need to deal with the same type headaches just to enjoy the opportunity to play pool..

Guess i need to remind them what a team concept is.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The concept of playing on a team in a competitive environment is nothing new. Now of course an amatuer pool team cannot be compared to a pro sport team but there wre similarities in both.....imo..

A member of a team has certain obligations to fulfill. If you cannot fulfill those obligations you should not be on that team. I am well aware that we all have a life outside of pool and some times extenuating circumstances come up..when those situations arise you should be considerate enough to inform your team mates unless its an emergency which is completely understandable.

Take for example i have a player on national guard duty all month. He notified me 2 months in advance and reminded me several times over those 2 months..another player is sick...no problem..

What i have a proboem with is inconsiderate and irrssponsible people who do ot feel the need to commit to the responsibilities of being a team menlmber.

I just feel if you are not the type of person who feels obligated to do your part as a team member you should not even join a team

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The concept of playing on a team in a competitive environment is nothing new. Now of course an amatuer pool team cannot be compared to a pro sport team but there wre similarities in both.....imo..

A member of a team has certain obligations to fulfill. If you cannot fulfill those obligations you should not be on that team. I am well aware that we all have a life outside of pool and some times extenuating circumstances come up..when those situations arise you should be considerate enough to inform your team mates unless its an emergency which is completely understandable.

Take for example i have a player on national guard duty all month. He notified me 2 months in advance and reminded me several times over those 2 months..another player is sick...no problem..

What i have a proboem with is inconsiderate and irrssponsible people who do ot feel the need to commit to the responsibilities of being a team menlmber.

I just feel if you are not the type of person who feels obligated to do your part as a team member you should not even join a team
If i had ONE $ for everytime i've heard a league story like this i'd be driving a Bentley by now.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
only made one night with apa league. crappy, nasty bar, beginner players, sitting on a nasty bar stool waiting and waiting to finnally play. never again will i play apa.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i had one $ for every time i read able out some one getting hustled i would be driving a mclaren. Gt. 600
Huh?? Don't follow you here. Hustled in league or what? Thought this thread was about apa league pool. I've never seen five apa players who'd bet the sky was blue.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar doesnt like APA? Really? I dont think I've heard him say that before! :eek:

Lorider, you really didnt think you would get a response other then APA bashing ,did you?
You might have just had a perfect storm.... situations that all popped up in one night. Talk to them and point out that if they would rather be elsewhere on league night, then quit.

rh1919

Registered

Your second mistake was agreeing to be captain.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your second mistake was agreeing to be captain.
No doubt. Back before i wisened up i captained a few weeks. Talk about brutal. I quickly turned those duties over to a guy on our team who was an accountant. Perfect guy for the job. Ha. He quit after three weeks. We made it thru the season, qualified for Vegas and we all stayed home. I played one more season(this was all BCA btw) and that was it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar doesnt like APA? Really? I dont think I've heard him say that before! :eek:

Lorider, you really didnt think you would get a response other then APA bashing ,did you?
You might have just had a perfect storm.... situations that all popped up in one night. Talk to them and point out that if they would rather be elsewhere on league night, then quit.
Have i been that clear on my love of league pool? ;)